Walking is tough...

Getting some walking in as exercise will help when you walk the course. A mile or two a day will go along way.

I have low back problems and I find that I can get through about 14 holes (third time up the hill) at my usual place before I start to tighten up and pull everything. Stretches for legs, hamstrings, and hips are the most help as that's usually what stops working and I start getting stuck on the way down.

I walk nearly all my rounds and have joined up with a group of older guys that walk. We all use pushcarts but 2 have the remote controlled kind & they are dang fancy.

Drink plenty of water, take a nice pace that you can maintain & keep at it, it'll get easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been walking from 75-125 rounds a year for the last 4 years. I agree that it only gets easier as you continue to do it. This is also the toughest time of the year with the heat. I keep the bag light, wear comfortable shoes and make sure to keep hydrated. Cool water and a snack is a big help.

You played 75 to 125 rounds a year with 2 babies ?????

what is your secret. I played 8 times with one young one and I pulled strings for playing that much

your my hero

Keep at it. Carts are an abomination. Seriously, I want to walk when I retire so I walk now.

Keep at it. Carts are an abomination. Seriously, I want to walk when I retire so I walk now.

^^^^^^^ This! ^^^^^^^

Try a light carry bag. I prefer a single strap over the backpack type straps on most modern bags. Jones make the best carry bags in my opinion.
I used a push cart for a while, but it is just so much easier and convenient to carry.
I use a Jones stand bag, only carry 12 clubs and about a half dozen balls.
Keep it light, keep it simple.

Congrats on your decision to improve your health and your game.

55 years old, battling cancer (multiple myeloma) for 12+ years. Walked 100+ rounds last year and on pace for a similar number this year.

You played 75 to 125 rounds a year with 2 babies ?????

what is your secret. I played 8 times with one young one and I pulled strings for playing that much

your my hero

My twins still arnt two yet, so the years of 100+ rounds were when I just started. Today I have a standing round every week and try to get out a few other times a week. Sometimes it's a quick nine, others it's just a quick 5 holes or range time. A big part is that I live on a golf course and play all extra rounds as a single so I can play as quick as I'd like. I also have been coaching golf and can play on days when my guys are practicing.

Good for you! Just keep at it and you will find it will get a little easier as time goes on. Also a side benefit is that it is good for your Heart and Mind.

My best advice, good comfortable shoes when walking, it will help reduce the fatigue your body feels.

I thought of something else with the heat. Drinking water is obvious. But I often find that it really helps to eat something - especially when I don't feel hungry - mid round. If I don't do it I'm more likely to hit the wall at the 14th or 15th hole. If I do eat I'm solid all the way to the end.

Have the same one and I love it!

I would recommend taking your umbrella with you if there isn't much shade on the course. It comes in handy on hot days to have that shade in between shots.

I should have said a "Push" cart. Its a BagBoy TriSwivel II... Has all the bells and whistles. ha!

Have the same one and I love it!

I would recommend taking your umbrella with you if there isn't much shade on the course. It comes in handy on hot days to have that shade in between shots.

Yes x . Umbrella shade, especially a double canopy one, can a big difference when you walk in the afternoons. Helps with fatigue from the sun beating down on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't imagine walking in the AZ heat, you'd be dead.. Good for you tho!

I started walking some last year with a Clic Gear and it took several 9 hole rounds before I dared a full 18, being of the "fluffy" type I know how hard it can be. I actually wished I could walk more...but nobody at my club walks and it's tough to walk this time of year with heat indexes well about 100 everyday.

Good Luck to you.

Here in the UK it is the norm for people to walk, obviously we don't have the same heat issues to deal with but we do have some hilly courses to get the heart rate working

I have always walked pulling my clubs but last weekend has reinforced that maybe I would be better with a push trolley or possibly an electric one to help until my back issues are sorted

Walking 1.5 miles every day is a big help to keeping my fitness levels up but I know that I could be fitter if I tried

I walked 18 for the 1st time with Ron S. fairly recently. I do have a pull cart for when I used to walk 9 holes. Even with that, I felt the fatigue shortly after the turn. One of the guys in our group had a push cart and maneuverability was infinitely better than my pull cart. It was nice to walk and I felt I had more of a chance to clear my head after a bad shot. If I decide to walk more I'll definitely get a push cart.

I love to walk.
I love (and need) the exercise (I'm 57)
I love the rhythm and tempo it brings to my golf game. Time to think.
I love always having all my golf clubs with me.
I love not having to worry about the 90 degree rule or where carts are allowed.
I love to walk so much I offer to pay extra to courses that require carts - to let me walk.
WALK.....it'll be good for you AND for your game!

I've been wanting to get back to it. Need to find a solid push cart. When I walked last year, I'd do 9 a couple times a week to try to build up before I tried 18.

I love walking when I can but sometimes time restraint dictate that I ride. There is one course I play semi regularly that the nines are separated by what seems to be a 1-2 mile long nature trail. That course would suck to walk as 2-3 miles would just be walking between the nines.

I couldn't imagine walking in the AZ heat, you'd be dead.. Good for you tho!

I's rather be walking in a 115 degree day in AZ than a 95 degree day in Nashville... The Humidity is what kills you...

Try a push cart instead of a pull cart. I find that a push cart isn't as tough on you walking 18 as pull carts are. I prefer to carry (backpack style) over using a pull cart.

+1

For what it's worth here are some of the benefits:

"Push carts offer an advanced alternative to the traditional pull cart by efficiently transferring energy from the natural walking position to the wheels, thereby reducing fatigue. http://www.sunmountain.com/product/carts.htmlGolf push carts take advantage of the forward momentum of walking and offer ergonomic handles that reduce the strain on golfers’ shoulder and lower-back from reaching back for a traditional, two-wheeled pull cart. Further, golf push carts are much better at rolling straight down the fairway than pull carts that are often zigzagging and putting additional strain on the golfer’s shoulders."

I's rather be walking in a 115 degree day in AZ than a 95 degree day in Nashville... The Humidity is what kills you...

So true. It was 108 the other day, and with no one else on the course, we got around in 3:15. Very low humidity other than some spots that had just been watered. :D

I used to walk all the time. Hated the idea of a cart. Then again, carts in England are as rare on the course as Eagles. Now I live in California, the idea of walking a course horrifies me LOL.

Back