Walking is tough...

Boom_Boom

Reaction score
Handicap
<18
Good Morning,

I bought a pull cart a little over a week ago and have since walked 9 holes 4 times. It is not as easy as I thought. I am a bigger guy and not in good shape at all. By about the 7th hole, my lower back and calves hurt, and I start to dip, hitting my shots fat. Any tips you walkers may have? I assume it will get easier as I go. I'm going to stick with it and try to walk 9 at least 3 times a week.

Thanks.

Good for you! Just keep at it and you will find it will get a little easier as time goes on. Also a side benefit is that it is good for your Heart and Mind.

The more you do it the easier it gets. Last couple of years I walked a lot more than I have this year. Just got a bit lazy. Walked 9 holes Tuesday, 13 holes Thursday, and 18 holes yesterday. The 18 yesterday just about killed me. Score was very rough on the last 5 holes. Same as you, I experienced the fat shot syndrome. I think I'll focus on just doing 9 holes until I get my strength built up.

100% you have to stick with it. It does get easier and better. Other thoughts to ease the process are to excercise and stretch between rounds and to maybe play a flatter course. Hang in there!

I've started walking just of two years ago, first with a pushcart, now just the bag. Yes it's been tough, but I've lost a good amount of weight. (45 pounds)

Tips, that's hard. Keep the bag light, avoid going straight up (and down!) steep hills, get light shoes and keep going. Don't walk too fast, keep a nice pace going, something you could do for a couple miles. You'll get around the course slower then the guys in buggies, but you'll lose weight and they'll keep being fat ;)

I'm thinking about getting one too, you have inspired me to do it. I love to carry but the heat and all the hills here kill me by the 12th hole.

Keep at it..

I'm thinking about getting one too, you have inspired me to do it. I love to carry but the heat and all the hills here kill me by the 12th hole.

Keep at it..
I love to walk the course but I reached a point where carrying the bag for 18 holes was just too much. The push cart is the way to go.

Hang in there it will get easier.
That being said, I don't walk much here because after being cooped up all winter the heat and humidity cause me to sweat so much I can hardly hang on to the club.

Good Morning,

I bought a pull cart a little over a week ago and have since walked 9 holes 4 times. It is not as easy as I thought. I am a bigger guy and not in good shape at all. By about the 7th hole, my lower back and calves hurt, and I start to dip, hitting my shots fat. Any tips you walkers may have? I assume it will get easier as I go. I'm going to stick with it and try to walk 9 at least 3 times a week.

Thanks.

You answered your own question right there. If you're out of shape and don't exercise, walking is going to be pretty strenuous. Just stick with it and enjoy the added benefit of exercise during your hobby. Keep it up!

As has been stated, it does get easier as you continue. Walking while golfing is the only exercise I get, so I enjoy it. Helps keep the weight down, as I love to eat and drink. :D

We are much more durable and adaptable organisms than we often believe. I would suspect that within 5-10 rounds you will be walking 18 holes pretty comfortably.

Many will likely disagree but eventually you may find out you golf better while walking. There is something to be said about the rhythm and pace of a walking round. Plenty of time to clear the head before getting into the next shot. Less hurry up and wait especially when slower groups are ahead.

Good call on the push cart. I could walk and carry no problem when younger but as I get older the legs can still handle the physical requirements of walking even 27 holes no problem but by the second 9 the back, shoulders etc. will get pretty fatigued and even achy from lugging the bag.

Keep at it..

summers are tough for walking here. I tend to ride when it gets in the 90's plus. I just get too sweaty and start having grip issues after a while. I enjoy walking when it's not too hot. It tends to slow me down mentally and keep better focus. Bonus is not bringing half your clubs for a shot when cart path only.

My daughter gave me one for Fathers Day. The first nine after work was on a particularly hot day and I was soaked after we were done. It has gotten easier and have done 18 a coup,e of times now. We play at a pretty good clip when walking, so there is definitely a workout to be had.

Possibly think about a shorter course and work your way up. I tell you what though, it will pay off. Last time we played we were in carts and I was stronger mentally and physically during that round. Push carts are a great way to get in golf shape. Keep at it!

JM

I used to walk every round, no matter where, but had to give up almost all of the golf walking after my 5th knee surgery.
The doc is telling me that my next move would be getting both knees replaced and then the walking "might" be easier.
So, until that happens, it's a cart for me.

I carried for 30+ years and then went to a push cart. Never used a pull cart. Looks like they would be hard on the hips & back.

Keep at it buddy! It does get easier with time. I have been walking all of my golfing life. Finally converted from carrying to pushing a little over a year ago and it is much easier. I hit the wall for the first time in many, many years the other day when I tried to walk 18 for the 5th straight day in 95+ degree temps. Make sure you keep hydrated!

Try a push cart instead of a pull cart. I find that a push cart isn't as tough on you walking 18 as pull carts are. I prefer to carry (backpack style) over using a pull cart.

I walk for years with a push cart. At 50yrs old I do tire some on the back 9's. Some fatigue does set in especially in hot weather. But (as you say) being heavy and out of shape is the biggest culprit of all to begin with. But that's not golf, its just life and what we do about it.

As for the cart, is it a pull or push? The push carts are so much better. As for the back, push cart helps that too and also try and walk upright and not slouched. We do a whole lot of bending during our rounds. Bend with the legs with an upright back as much as possible. Whether its tending to your ball, your bag, the pin, whatever, bend with the legs as much as practical and possible. It takes some getting use to especially when we get so use to bending with our backs instead. The little things that can help whole lot.

Keep at it..

I walked 18 last weekend carrying my bag. I've found that walking and carrying my bag, 9 is not a problem at all, but on courses where there is no shade and when it's this hot out, I'm usually pretty tired by the 12th to 13th hole. I'm looking into a cart as well.

Back to the OP, the more you do it, the better you will feel like any physical exercise. I bring my own water bottle and snacks (something healthy), which is a huge help and try to find shade when I'm waiting on my playing partners or the group in front of me.

I should have said a "Push" cart. Its a BagBoy TriSwivel II... Has all the bells and whistles. ha!

Keep with it! Walking I have always walked.

I like my carry bag. From observations I notice that I struggle a lot less than those that use wheel carts. If you are going to carry long-term invest in a nice Ping Hoofer or Wilson neXus.

I am in the same boat, I am quite a large guy myself. But it does get easier after some time, your first five times maybe will be the most difficult after that it evens out. I am trying to get into better shape myself, note I am eating chips and salsa while I write this. Doh failed already. My best advice would be is go for walks before dinner and increase the time slightly day after day.

I've been walking from 75-125 rounds a year for the last 4 years. I agree that it only gets easier as you continue to do it. This is also the toughest time of the year with the heat. I keep the bag light, wear comfortable shoes and make sure to keep hydrated. Cool water and a snack is a big help.

The only time I take a cart is if I'm playing with my dad or if I'm trying to play 18 quickly by myself. I walk the rest of the time. My local course is a 9-hole track with only 1 flat hole. All others are uphill, downhill, or side-hill lies from just about everywhere. I've found taking a slow but steady pace to be the best. I've also resorted to tiny steps going up hills. If I try to take normal long strides, I find myself winded and wanting to take 3-4 minutes before finally playing my next shot. If I take small steps (~1 foot), I don't feel quite as strained despite taking about 3x the number of steps I would have with a normal stride.

Back