China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
When buying an new iron set do most people also buy the sand wedge that matches with that set or buy a different brand? I'm getting Callaway FT irons and can add the ft sw for a good price but am also looking at Vokeys, etc.

It seems like everyone on THP have different wedges than their irons. just curious...

Also, I am looking at all the different bounces. Is 14 a good happy medium?

I still play the GW from my Ci7 set. It seems more like a PW to me and works well for many different shots.

My 56°-16° is a component club that was made at a local shop. It works really well out of deeper grass and fluffy sand. I can also use it for full shots from the fairway.

My 60°-6° Nike wedge is great from tight lies, especially when I need to get over something and land it soft.

The thing about specialty wedges is that they are designed for what they do. It seems like the "iron-set" wedges are designed to conform to the set that they match. If it were me, I would probably try out some specialty wedges pick one of them rather than pick up the FT. Not to say that you should, but just my thoughts.

I think 14° is pretty bounce-y. Depends on what you will be using it for most and what kind of conditions you have on your course.

Edit to say: The Nike SV Tours are really cheap right now and are great wedges for the money. You should try them out to see if they work for you.

The only time I have had a matching SW was with the Burner XD's. But that SW played like a GW because of the loft. I bought my Nickents at Rockbottom.com for a killer deal. I didnt try them before and just hoped they were awesome. It turned out really well for me. Since Im not great with my shot making right now, I was definitely looking at value with performance. I was thrilled when I put them into play. Their performance is awesome and were better for me than the others I had played.

Hardest part about wedges is testing them. I hit them at Golf Galaxy, PGA SS, Dick's etc but I couldn't really get a good idea of what they were doing or how they would react on the course. I would look at what types of shots I want to hit with them and then go from there. If you want something that will match the gaps in distance probably going with the FT would be ideal. You'll get a lot of sound advice from really good players here but its just my 2 cents!

I use the Pitching Wedge from an old set since it is 50° and is basically a Gap Wedge. My 56° and 60° wedges are Adams. The 56 has 14° bounce while the 60 has 8° bounce.

I play a 52* AW and a 56* SW that are the same make/model of my irons. That's probably considered amateurish/newbee-ish, but I need any extra forgiveness I can get!

I play a 52* AW and a 56* SW that are the same make/model of my irons. That's probably considered amateurish/newbee-ish, but I need any extra forgiveness I can get!

NOTHING wrong with that at all. We are all amateurs.

That could be just personal preference. But buy whatever works best for you and your budget and avoid the mokey see-monkey do games.

When buying an new iron set do most people also buy the sand wedge that matches with that set or buy a different brand? I'm getting Callaway FT irons and can add the ft sw for a good price but am also looking at Vokeys, etc.

It seems like everyone on THP have different wedges than their irons. just curious...

Also, I am looking at all the different bounces. Is 14 a good happy medium?

The standard set wedges will typically have a better gap dispersion than going to another make or high dollar wedge but the performance difference on partial shots is where i notice the difference. I typically get a gap wedge that fits the set but any wedges higher lofted than that I go with something more fit for the style of course or that fits my short game better. Right now I'm playing Vokey wedges and I love the feel of them around the greens but every person will be different depending on if they are a sweeper/digger or the type of lies they typically play off of. The best thing to do is try different wedges for different shots and see how easily you can get the results you are after.

I also need as much help and forgiveness as possible so I went with the Big Bertha wedges to match my irons...GW 50* and 9* bounce, SW 55* and 11* bounce, LW 60* and 9* bounce.

I also liked that everything matched once I got them, but that's just a personal mental thing.

well I don't care about appearance since everything I have is mixed right now. I have component wedges right now and its hit or miss with them. could be me or it could be that they arn't matched. Tried my buddies Vokey last week and it is sweeet. But the FT wedges are much cheaper than the vokey.

I've always purchased wedges outside of my irons, but rarely for any reason other than that they are designed solely for wedge play, whereas an iron from a standard set up more forgiving and probably weigh less..

Obviously it's all about preference for me though.. Whatever works, I buy.

go with the callaway x-tour

they will still match, and still perform, and cost effective

ended up ordering a x-tour vintage. I better like it thainer! It was less than half the cost of a vokey...

who cares what matches and what doesnt. if it works for you thats all that matters

There is nothing wrong with mixing and matching clubs. I've seen tour pros that have three different kinds of wedges in their bags, some old, some new, etc. It's all about your personal preference and what suits you. NO ONE can make that choice for you.

As far as your bounce question, that's a little high for me. I like a mid bounce. You should hit the wedges with different bounces on a short course to see what works well for you.

His posts sounded like he wanted something to match, so I recommended the x-tour, I have played it, its not a bad wedge at all.

who cares what matches and what doesnt. if it works for you thats all that matters

I could care less about it matching. actually thats kinda why I went with the vintage finish.

sweet good luck with em

look at Tom Lehman's bag this week:
Iron (3): Cobra Forged
Iron (4): TaylorMade rac
Irons (5-8): TaylorMade Burner
Irons (9-PW): TaylorMade R9
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design Spin MIlled (54 and 60 degrees)

Sort of throws concerns about matching out the window. Then again few of us have Tom Lehman's game.

I am back and fourth on wedges. My PW is 45*, so I use the matching GW which is 50*. The SW that matches is 55*, no clue on bounce but its lower than average for a SW I'd say. I have two different wedges a 56-10 SW, and a wide soled 60-3 LW. I can't really decide which SW I like better, they both have their pros and cons.

Back