Western New York, Albany, Syracuse, Northwest Pennsylvania & surrounding areas

Amherst, NY

Now that this thread is active.. the question is... where we meeting up this summer??

Amherst, NY

Have you every played Transit Valley? Thoughts if you have? There's a tournament there I am considering getting into.

Have you every played Transit Valley? Thoughts if you have? There's a tournament there I am considering getting into.
NYSGA Am series?

NYSGA Am series?

Yessir. Planning out the season and seeing which events I want to hit this year. Played in 8 events last year.

Yessir. Planning out the season and seeing which events I want to hit this year. Played in 8 events last year.
Played in 5 last year and would have played in the Championship but it got rained out at Crag Burn. I plan on playing in 8 or 9 this year.

Played in 5 last year and would have played in the Championship but it got rained out at Crag Burn. I plan on playing in 8 or 9 this year.

Same. I was annoyed it got rained out. Finished 7th in overall points last year with 8 events. I think I can only do max 8, maybe 9 with kid and work schedules. To many in Albany and I don't mind travelling 2 hours before a round but anything more than that and it becomes annoying.

Same. I was annoyed it got rained out. Finished 7th in overall points last year with 8 events. I think I can only do max 8, maybe 9 with kid and work schedules. To many in Albany and I don't mind travelling 2 hours before a round but anything more than that and it becomes annoying.
Only 1 or 2 in Albany for me. Just dont know which ones are worth the trip.

Played it once and wasn’t impressed. Felt very artificial. Sort of like they just dumped a bunch of dirt on flat land. Condition wise it was good

Only 1 or 2 in Albany for me. Just dont know which ones are worth the trip.

If I can be of service regarding Albany and courses here, let me know.

What's so bad about Albany? :mad: :LOL:

What's so bad about Albany? :mad: :LOL:

Nothing's wrong with Albany. :)

Just the 3 1/2 hour drive to get there and the 3 1/2 hour drive to get back if I don't want to stay overnight. Especially when a good number of them start at 8 or 9 or 10 AM. :)

Nothing's wrong with Albany. :)

Just the 3 1/2 hour drive to get there and the 3 1/2 hour drive to get back if I don't want to stay overnight. Especially when a good number of them start at 8 or 9 or 10 AM. :)

I can understand that. :)

Albany CC. Pinhaven. Mohawk. Shaker Ridge. Colonie. CC of Troy.
I need to pick 2 out of those 6

One of those is my home club. :LOL:

One of those is my home club. :LOL:
Based on very little info ive narrowed it to Albany, Shaker and Mohawk. Where do you play? And suggest?

I have played them all. Only once at Troy and Mohawk but multiple times at Albany, Pinehaven , Shaker Ridge and Colonie

Albany is probably the most challenging at least on the greens.
Troy and Mohawk are old courses as far as design
I'm partial to Colonie - play there currently
Pinehaven is the host for a Symetra Tour Event
Shaker is fair test but I haven't played there in a few years.

I have played them all. Only once at Troy and Mohawk but multiple times at Albany, Pinehaven , Shaker Ridge and Colonie

Albany is probably the most challenging at least on the greens.
Troy and Mohawk are old courses as far as design
I'm partial to Colonie - play there currently
Pinehaven is the host for a Symetra Tour Event
Shaker is fair test but I haven't played there in a few years.
Thanks for the info. Pinehaven looks a little tight with those tall trees

Shaker Ridge is my favorite on that list. They had a fungus problem a few years ago and ended up replacing all 18 greens. They are incredible now and I just love that course. Great layout, great conditions, and really nice facilities. My dad took me there as a young pup for a charity skins event where Ed Fiori waxed Blaine McAllister, Joey Sindelar, and Fuzzy (he was the draw).

Gun to my head, I’d pick Albany as the other, but I’m not articulate enough to explain why. Each of those courses have more pluses than minuses. I’d rank them Shaker Ridge, Albany, Colonie, Troy, Mohawk, and then Pinehaven (my grandfather was an originating stockholder in Pinehaven and the stock is still in my family, I just think the course is boring). Others will rank them differently and I’d have a hard time arguing.

Shaker Ridge is my favorite on that list. They had a fungus problem a few years ago and ended up replacing all 18 greens. They are incredible now and I just love that course. Great layout, great conditions, and really nice facilities. My dad took me there as a young pup for a charity skins event where Ed Fiori waxed Blaine McAllister, Joey Sindelar, and Fuzzy (he was the draw).

Gun to my head, I’d pick Albany as the other, but I’m not articulate enough to explain why. Each of those courses have more pluses than minuses. I’d rank them Shaker Ridge, Albany, Colonie, Troy, Mohawk, and then Pinehaven (my grandfather was an originating stockholder in Pinehaven and the stock is still in my family, I just think the course is boring). Others will rank them differently and I’d have a hard time arguing.
Awesome info thankyou!

Nothing wrong with your list. I wasn’t aware of the greens issue at Shaker. The people I played with there are no longer members.

Amherst, NY
I went to law school at UB and played in a member-guest at Wanakah several times. Lots of great courses in Buffalo.

Have played in a Wed night league at Pine Grove for years. I used to have a membership @ Erie Village as it's 5 minutes from the house and still play there sometimes. Arrowhead and Wanoa are close by as well so I tend to play those 3 on the weekend. Willing to play anywhere anyone wants to though!!
(y) I live about a mile from Pine Grove. Joined Drumlins last fall and I play in a 9 hole league at Sunset Ridge.

I've played Mohawk and CC of Troy. Both were enjoyable but I prefer CC of Troy. But then, I'm a big fan of Walter Travis designs.

I've played Mohawk and CC of Troy. Both were enjoyable but I prefer CC of Troy. But then, I'm a big fan of Walter Travis designs.

Mohawk is a Deveraux Emmet design from the early 1900s. It’s the oldest course in the area. I enjoyed playing it.

I went to law school at UB and played in a member-guest at Wanakah several times. Lots of great courses in Buffalo.
One of my friends is going to law school at UB in the fall I believe. Haven’t played Wanakah but heard nothing but great things about it

Back