Glad to find this topic, as I too am a member of Badger and Blade. I've been a double-edge shaver since I started shaving way back in the 1960's! I still have
the Gillette Fat Boy I bought in college, but since joining B and B, I've acquired a Slim Adjustable, a couple of Super Speeds, and an Edwin Jaeger 89. Before
I retired, I shaved every day of course, but now it's every other day. If I need a shave on that odd day, I may just run an electric over my face.....absolutely NO
COMPARISON though in the quality of that shave compared to a wet shave. I use either Proraso Red or one of several Stirling soaps that I have on hand. I
apply with a brush for great hot lather, then finish up with witch hazel when I'm finished.....
LOL Reading those shaving forums will get you acquiring a few razors for sure!

What's everyone's favorite aftershave lotion or balm? I need to pick up a new one.
Late to this one, but my go-to for the past couple years has been Dr. Harris Arlington Aftershave. Beautiful, gentle smell with great skin feel.

I sometimes go the Ivory bar soap and straight razor route when Im feeling like going really oldschool (like as in civil war days) but never a disposable. Once youve experienced a great shave with a quality razor and blade, shaving with a disosable is like shaving with a cheese grater.

I tried a disposable exactly one time! I think it was a BIC that came in a 10 pack for next to nothing. After that first time, all 10 went straight into the garbage can!

I use a multiblade disposable, once or twice a week. I switched to Cremo a few years ago and will never use anything but a real cream again.

Same here! I first switched from Gillette Foamy to Barbasol, which was a little better. Then I saw Cremo in WalMart while looking to pick up another can of Barbasol and decided to try it. Figured there was no air whipped into it. What a difference! So much better than the canned crap.

another thing I dabbled in, had two double edge razors, a shaving bowl, brush and used to try all these different blades. One of the DE I have (Muhle) I never opened, it looks nice but I just got tired of trying to keep up with it and the cartridge razors are just so no nonsense and I don't cut myself. Ended up getting a Gillette Mach 5 set and use the brush with some nice shaving cream and haven't looked back.

I do like the Geo F Trumpers shaving creams though and usually have a few of those on hand, specifically the coconut and the classic one.

Disposable shaver and in the shower, is the best , warmth of water, makes skin more pliable, shampoos and conditioners help the blade, and the razor does not get clogged it’s cuts cleanly , just trim the sideburns and any missed portions in mirror post shower. Have done it this way for many years … 🪒🚿

Disposable shaver and in the shower, is the best , warmth of water, makes skin more pliable, shampoos and conditioners help the blade, and the razor does not get clogged it’s cuts cleanly , just trim the sideburns and any missed portions in mirror post shower. Have done it this way for many years … 🪒🚿

I used to do the shave in the shower thing, had a fogless mirror and it was ok, but there is just something about shaving outside over the sink that I prefer, then again I also shave before I shower so if I nick myself it stops bleeding without my having to use a paper towel

Resurrecting an old thread. Wet shaving is much cheaper than cartridges and you get better results. Merkur razor, Astra blades (.5 to .10 each) and Prorasso cream (about $10 and last 3 or 4 months). I get 4-5 shaves out of each blade and I don’t even bother with a brush.

Resurrecting an old thread. Wet shaving is much cheaper than cartridges and you get better results. Merkur razor, Astra blades (.5 to .10 each) and Prorasso cream (about $10 and last 3 or 4 months). I get 4-5 shaves out of each blade and I don’t even bother with a brush.
I love my merkur razor and but 100 packs of feathers. So sharp and great shave.

I can’t bring myself to try one, although they look really nice. Mach III and Cremo is about as far as I go.

I'm big into wet shaving and a hobby of mine is restoring / sharpening straight razors. Martin de Candre is by far my favorite soap, runs about $70 a jar for 200 grams but a jar lasts years. I also collect old Gillette razors which gives me a dozen or so different razor to use. Aftershaves you can't go wrong with Fine,

I can’t bring myself to try one, although they look really nice. Mach III and Cremo is about as far as I go.
Try Prorasso. It's much smoother than Cremo although I use Cremo in a pinch. Use it the same way.

I'm big into wet shaving and a hobby of mine is restoring / sharpening straight razors. Martin de Candre is by far my favorite soap, runs about $70 a jar for 200 grams but a jar lasts years. I also collect old Gillette razors which gives me a dozen or so different razor to use. Aftershaves you can't go wrong with Fine,
I haven't ventured into straight razors. Any good budget ones or models to look out for to fix up?

interesting timing for this thread to pop up. I was just talking with my son last week about him changing to a single blade razer. He is a bodybuilder so he shaves his full body and get bad ingrown hair, especially on his chest. Was thinking a single blade safety razer might help prevent that. What say you guys?

interesting timing for this thread to pop up. I was just talking with my son last week about him changing to a single blade razer. He is a bodybuilder so he shaves his full body and get bad ingrown hair, especially on his chest. Was thinking a single blade safety razer might help prevent that. What say you guys?
Helped me with ingrown hairs on my neck, I don’t see why it wouldn’t help elsewhere!

I just got into safety razor shaving a month or two ago. Got pissed at the cost of disposables, and realized "why am I throwing away the whole plastic razor when only the blade is dull...."

I tried one from Dollar Tree for grins. Can't beat the purchase price! The included blades were awful, but after swapping them out for a "real" blade, it was actually good! Kind of tuggy and scratchy, but the closeness of the shave blew disposables away.

So getting suckered into this, I spent $35 on a Gillette Heritage from Amazon (they got me with the cool case!) and I'm trying a couple packs of blades right now. The Gillette is a lot more mild than the Dollar Tree razor but still beats all hell out of disposables. And if it doesn't, you just switch the blade out.

I tried it out a couple years ago and it is a cheaper, better shave, but I just prefer to get my shaving done as fast as possible so I went back to disposables and Barbasol.

i used to go the safety razor route for... well, forever. finally got tired of it and bought a bag of disposables. they're fine. super sharp, (for a week or so, at least) never a nick and a rarely use shaving cream with these things.

After using Dollar Shave Club cartridges for years I took the plunge and bought a decent safety razor. Wow, why didn't I try this sooner! The shave might not be as close, but it's by far the most comfortable shave I've had in years.

After using Dollar Shave Club cartridges for years I took the plunge and bought a decent safety razor. Wow, why didn't I try this sooner! The shave might not be as close, but it's by far the most comfortable shave I've had in years.
Welcome to a better way to shave. And for me, much cheaper too!

I've used a Merkur Double Edge Single Blade for over 10 yrs. It's close but especially with a brand new blade, I avoid getting close to any lip areas and the Adams apple. For that, I use a disposable, which allows me a close shave without the blood splatter.:oops:

For shaving cream, I use Jack Black, and their post-shave is also good,

Last edited:
I reall like using a Brush and cup with shave soap to make my lather. It takes a little extra time but is well worth it. I am a member of Dollar Shave Club and have had good results with them. They recently changed their blades so I have to reevaluate but it looks promising.

Back