What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

I played 9 holes with the new chrome soft ball. While it is much too soft for it to become my gamer ball because I prefer a firmer feeling ball.

I was impressed by a couple things. It flys well. I liked the launch and flight I got. It is very durable. I played this same ball for all 9 holes. Plus I played 1, and 6 again as it was open and I had just enough time to get those in before turning to my car.

I think for the right person that really enjoys an soft ball. They will enjoy this one. I felt I was giving up maybe a couple yards due to its very soft compression, but that is hard to say and could easily be accounted for that the temps were in the high 50s. So was it the ball or the temps? I don’t know, maybe a combo of Both.

It’s going to be a good next addition in the chrome soft family. Can’t wait to try the X ball.
Yeah, I think the X will be a great fit for me too. Although, I don't mind the soft feel of the regular CS.

Yeah, I think the X will be a great fit for me too. Although, I don't mind the soft feel of the regular CS.

I prefer a bit more click to the ball. This is pretty mushy.

I wish I had some of the new CS for when I go try new clubs soon. I think my 2020 ball choice will be between CSTt and the new Bridgestone RX. I will probably fit with a ProV1 since that was the best one for me in my Titleist ball fitting and then when the new balls come out, just see if one of them gives me numbers and feel comparable to prov1.

I liked most everything about the CSXTT ball except I felt it was a little firm. That then made me think I was not swinging hard enough to play it and once doubt enters into my golf game, it can go sideways real fast.

Ideally for me, the new CS with TT would have launched with the TT putters.

I'm glad Triple Track will be on the regular CS. Seeing how much was invested in the Chicopee plant has me excited!!
Another site brought up some QC concerns but I never experienced what they did when I gamed several dozen CS in the past.

A sleeve of CS and CSX is in my future for sure!

I wish I had some of the new CS for when I go try new clubs soon. I think my 2020 ball choice will be between CSTt and the new Bridgestone RX. I will probably fit with a ProV1 since that was the best one for me in my Titleist ball fitting and then when the new balls come out, just see if one of them gives me numbers and feel comparable to prov1.

I liked most everything about the CSXTT ball except I felt it was a little firm. That then made me think I was not swinging hard enough to play it and once doubt enters into my golf game, it can go sideways real fast.

How fast is your swing speed with driver? I stay right around 95-98mph and have no issues playing the CSX TT ball. Played it yesterday and saw good results with it.

How fast is your swing speed with driver? I stay right around 95-98mph and have no issues playing the CSX TT ball. Played it yesterday and saw good results with it.
It is more of a feel thing. It feels firm to me and it gets in my head. I played it it exclusively August through October of 2019 but then moved to ERC because of the feel. ERC maybe feels a little soft and I am hoping CS is right in between. The CSX is similar to the Bridgestone BX. They both perform well but just feel off. Around the green particularly, I would rather play with balls that feel closer to e12 soft/ERC but spin more.

My driver speed was 102 last time I fitted. I think I can play CSXTT but want something that I like the feel of better (softer feel).

It is more of a feel thing. It feels firm to me and it gets in my head. I played it it exclusively August through October of 2019 but then moved to ERC because of the feel. ERC maybe feels a little soft and I am hoping CS is right in between. The CSX is similar to the Bridgestone BX. They both perform well but just feel off. Around the green particularly, I would rather play with balls that feel closer to e12 soft/ERC but spin more.

My driver speed was 102 last time I fitted. I think I can play CSXTT but want something that I like the feel of better (softer feel).
Totally get that thought. I have preferred the regular CS over the CSX for chipping.

I like the harder feel off the putter. I feel I control the distance better. So I'd also look at the CSX

I like the harder feel off the putter. I feel I control the distance better. So I'd also look at the CSX
I know it doesn’t make much sense, but I feel with a harder ball that I get more tentative because it feels I am hitting it harder than I am. It is great that they will have so many options and that I can use TT in CS or CSX.

I know it doesn’t make much sense, but I feel with a harder ball that I get more tentative because it feels I am hitting it harder than I am. It is great that they will have so many options and that I can use TT in CS or CSX.
I can't wait to try the 2020 balls out. It'll be interesting for sure.

From all that I have read on the new balls, it sounds like the standard CS will be right up my alley coming from Pro V1. I tried the CSx TT and Pro V1x for extended periods at the end of summer and early fall. I just never felt I was getting the performance out of the firm balls that I do out of the softer ball. A buttoned strike feels weightless however on less than perfect contact I feel I get better results from the softer balls. My CHS with driver is right at 100 mph.

I wouldn't mind trying out TT... I hit a chrome soft I found the other day and it flew pretty well...I'm not one to reposition my ball on putts but I think trying TT might change that and hopefully, help my putting.

Anybody know when the new balls will show up on Callaway’s website?

Anybody know when the new balls will show up on Callaway’s website?
I will try and find the date in my notes, but it is March sometime

Is March here yet??

Will give it another try with the new Chrome Soft.

March 12 is our retail date

Sweet! I’m going to treat myself to a belated birthday gift in the form of CS balls!

@JasonFinleyCG From your testing, is there a large difference in spin (6 iron through LW) between the CS and CSx? The reason I ask is because I’m a shallow swinger of the club resulting in low spin, rarely taking much of a divot (my mishit is a thin shot). I’ve been playing firmer balls for the extra spin and steeper angle of descent (Pro V1x and CSx TT most recently) In the scoring clubs. My driver CHS is 100 mph and my 7i is 83 mph. Should I start with CSx or CS?

There are a couple of things to consider when talking about the quality of CS and the off center cores.

1. The balls that were cut were gen one chrome softs. Not the ball with graphene.
2. Those balls were purchased from Accushnet. Who by the way is the single largest purchaser of chrome softs.

Now, there were still errors and quality control issues that could be improved. Hence the expense on the new ball plant. They are just not "as bad" as what may be perceived.
Not true. I posted/began a thread. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ay-chromesoft-quality-control-issues.8910236/
In which I have pictures of balls I cut open myself from my own purchased stock of 2018 and 2019 balls with the graphene. Review the pics I have in the thread where as i cut open some balls and then bit later even some more. The results were disturbing because of the high percentage of off centered cores in what was only a small bunch of balls.

Im not confident that callaway (as someone else mentions in this thread) didnt invest in the quality control only after the news of the core thing but was something they were looking to and began to upgrade even before yet claimed it was in reaction to the situation. I mean either way ots a good thing of course. Ive looked all over at the time and found very little to nothing as for response from callaway. Eevn an employee fro the tech department (You can read in my thread) was like as if he was unaware of the issue. You would think something like this would be well known throughout the company especially anyone in tech, engineering, or marketing.

Reason I became so concerned was due to stocking up (via good sale) with dozens of balls.

I also dont care for how callaway originally marketd the "dual softfast" core when it first arrived where as basically stating (Im paraphrasing) you can now be soft and also long. And yet now this past year they are saying how they know they need/needed more distance with the ball. This newest 2020 even gets marketed as "ample" distance. So then what was it before that we were buying in the softfast core all along? They were less than ample?

Look. I pike the CS alot and is why i been using it exclusively for a couple/few years now. But honestly I feel (as has happened with other companies and products) that we sometimes get bullsh!#ed even if just a bit especially with marketing and like discovered QC issues it also can be a tad disheartening.

Of course they have to change some production equipment but that can simply be due to them changing the ball core which would (like any product thats being changed ) require tweaks and even some outright replacement of production equipment. Its different so it needs different production. Thats just physics and manufacturing. And who cares how many stories tall the production equipment is. I mean whether its 10 feet tall or 60 feet tall means nothing to me nor should it. Is that suppose to impress? I mean as long as it ll works well I could care less.

And so... That all said. I can understand anyone posting negative feelings and I disagree with those who may insist in downplaying those people's thoughts. I hope the 2020 CS is indeed a better ball QC wise, and distance wise. With all my relatively (new to me) negative information (I did not know of this stuff earlier) I havnt at all given up on the ball. And I look forward to the 2020 version. But honestly dont think callawy did enough publicly and imo even kind of played the whole thing down. I mean even still now are still selling 2019 balls that they know have questionable QC issues and less than ample distance vs the 2020?

I know it all sound contradicting because Im a fan of the brand , the ball which I still play, and I also play epic woods which I love. But all this past (not so long ago) stuff makes me realize sometimes our fandom can be a bit blind. And when you find things out it can affect that blind trust.

Not true. I posted/began a thread. https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...ay-chromesoft-quality-control-issues.8910236/
In which I have pictures of balls I cut open myself from my own purchased stock of 2018 and 2019 balls with the graphene. Review the pics I have in the thread where as i cut open some balls and then bit later even some more. The results were disturbing because of the high percentage of off centered cores in what was only a small bunch of balls.

Im not confident that callaway (as someone else mentions in this thread) didnt invest in the quality control only after the news of the core thing but was something they were looking to and began to upgrade even before yet claimed it was in reaction to the situation. I mean either way ots a good thing of course. Ive looked all over at the time and found very little to nothing as for response from callaway. Eevn an employee fro the tech department (You can read in my thread) was like as if he was unaware of the issue. You would think something like this would be well known throughout the company especially anyone in tech, engineering, or marketing.

Reason I became so concerned was due to stocking up (via good sale) with dozens of balls.

I also dont care for how callaway originally marketd the "dual softfast" core when it first arrived where as basically stating (Im paraphrasing) you can now be soft and also long. And yet now this past year they are saying how they know they need/needed more distance with the ball. This newest 2020 even gets marketed as "ample" distance. So then what was it before that we were buying in the softfast core all along? They were less than ample?

Look. I pike the CS alot and is why i been using it exclusively for a couple/few years now. But honestly I feel (as has happened with other companies and products) that we sometimes get bullsh!#ed even if just a bit especially with marketing and like discovered QC issues it also can be a tad disheartening.

Of course they have to change some production equipment but that can simply be due to them changing the ball core which would (like any product thats being changed ) require tweaks and even some outright replacement of production equipment. Its different so it needs different production. Thats just physics and manufacturing. And who cares how many stories tall the production equipment is. I mean whether its 10 feet tall or 60 feet tall means nothing to me nor should it. Is that suppose to impress? I mean as long as it ll works well I could care less.

And so... That all said. I can understand anyone posting negative feelings and I disagree with those who may insist in downplaying those people's thoughts. I hope the 2020 CS is indeed a better ball QC wise, and distance wise. With all my relatively (new to me) negative information (I did not know of this stuff earlier) I havnt at all given up on the ball. And I look forward to the 2020 version. But honestly dont think callawy did enough publicly and imo even kind of played the whole thing down. I mean even still now are still selling 2019 balls that they know have questionable QC issues and less than ample distance vs the 2020?

I know it all sound contradicting because Im a fan of the brand , the ball which I still play, and I also play epic woods which I love. But all this past (not so long ago) stuff makes me realize sometimes our fandom can be a bit blind. And when you find things out it can affect that blind trust.

I will let JB handles this.

Geez, they are just golf balls! I can appreciate your trepidation however at the end of the day they are just golf balls. Callaway originally released a statement downplaying the test but when the core issue came to light, they went right to the testers and fell on their sword. Believe what you wish. I’m more than happy to give the new Callaway balls a go. I believe the upgrades to the production methods and enhanced QC will help repair Callaway‘s ball making reputation. If issues reveal them self, I like you, have other golf ball options to test/play.

I will let JB handles this.
I dont think my post is need of actually being "handled" per say by anyone. Its just thoughts about it is all. Certainly comments are welcome. Your statement implying that it was only pre graphine generation balls is not true. As said I cut my 2018 and 2019 versions open.
Geez, they are just golf balls! I can appreciate your trepidation however at the end of the day they are just golf balls. Callaway originally released a statement downplaying the test but when the core issue came to light, they went right to the testers and fell on their sword. Believe what you wish. I’m more than happy to give the new Callaway balls a go. I believe the upgrades to the production methods and enhanced QC will help repair Callaway‘s ball making reputation. If issues reveal them self, I like you, have other golf ball options to test/play.
Yes they are just golf balls. But.......I mean with that kind of ideology why are we even here on THP at all? Its all only golf and for 99% of us nothing is technically truly important vs life obs and responsibilities and etc. So whats the sense of discussing any of it? But we do discuss everything golf here and golf balls are a big part of what we discuss (in fact part of the very essence of the game itself) and especially when we discuss top tier balls nd R&D and marketing and etc,etc...... So yes in this specific world of THP and golf its not "just golf balls" but instead holds a lot of value. Its why we have these discussions. And why we all can state our feelings about the given topics. It doent weigh heavy vs my life but it does weigh within the golf part of my life.

Last edited:
I am going to buy a sleeve of each and test them on the launch monitor for a month before the snow melts. I have been noticing some release on my 9 irons and want to tighten that up. If it costs me a few yards, so be it.

Back