What’s New: 2020 Callaway Chrome Soft Hits Retail

Well now it seems like I will be picking up some sleeves and having a ball battle soon.

interesting reads from everyone here, cool seeing the overlap of the benefits from both of the balls through different swing speeds. @McLovin was saying the ball was coming off the face hotter around the greens vs Previous version has caught my interest. The feel and response there and not feeling too soft is a huge win for me personally.

The changes that have been underway for multiple years have been in plan and the deeper we got into and the more we learned, the more that went into the improvements. This is a long term commitment to the category and while we have been uber focused on delivering a strong performing and differentiated golf ball that is arguably the hardest ball in golf to make it led us to some things we are not proud of and are working very hard to ensure never happen again.

Incredible statement.

I do love me some Truvis.... can't wait to have these in hand to test out!

It’ll be CS for me. Love the idea of the extra yardage and performance. Like with many other OEMs offerings, just not in love with the idea of paying $50 for a box of balls..

@JasonFinleyCG
The limited edition Truvis releases have been great (Shamrock, Playing Card Suits, American Flag, etc,) are more of those coming this year?

Will the Yellow/Green Truvis still be available at DICK’S stores this year?

Well now it seems like I will be picking up some sleeves and having a ball battle soon.

interesting reads from everyone here, cool seeing the overlap of the benefits from both of the balls through different swing speeds. @McLovin was saying the ball was coming off the face hotter around the greens vs Previous version has caught my interest. The feel and response there and not feeling too soft is a huge win for me personally.
This is definitely coming for me.....

Z-Star might have some competition this year...

The changes that have been underway for multiple years have been in plan and the deeper we got into and the more we learned, the more that went into the improvements. This is a long term commitment to the category and while we have been uber focused on delivering a strong performing and differentiated golf ball that is arguably the hardest ball in golf to make it led us to some things we are not proud of and are working very hard to ensure never happen again.
I appreciate a response like this. Honesty, owning it, fixing it.

Well, you will not be disappointed then. We have CS Yellow with TT coming.
Since you guys are emphasizing that we try both models with all the new changes that are underway with the ball, can you guys sell a box with 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft and 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft X so we don't have to buy a box of the Chrome soft and a box of the Chrome Soft X?

Looking forward to a semi warm day to try these..

Attachments

• 85FAF69A-7BEA-4BB0-ABD7-7FCC2A229B8D.jpeg
    85FAF69A-7BEA-4BB0-ABD7-7FCC2A229B8D.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
probably to increase his entries and win more free stuff

i always thought it was suspicious that @JasonFinleyCG managed to go to The Grandaddy every year.....?

???

Great info here for sure. I’ll be picking up some of the CS to try for sure this year.

Lots of knowledge dropped yesterday. Love the transparency. I need to test both of these out this year.

@JasonFinleyCG I don't recall if this was mentioned during your presentation. But, noticing that the 2020 CS feels a little firmer overall than the previous model (to me anyhow), how would we expect the CSX to feel in terms of compression compared to it's predecessor?

CS should be similar feeling but feel is very personal. The CSX should have a similar feel to the 2019 TT version but firmer than the 2018 CSX.

@JasonFinleyCG
The limited edition Truvis releases have been great (Shamrock, Playing Card Suits, American Flag, etc,) are more of those coming this year?

Will the Yellow/Green Truvis still be available at DICK’S stores this year?

We have some ideas we are excited about. We will only have the White/Green for Sports Matter.

Since you guys are emphasizing that we try both models with all the new changes that are underway with the ball, can you guys sell a box with 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft and 2 sleeves of the Chrome soft X so we don't have to buy a box of the Chrome soft and a box of the Chrome Soft X?

No current plans for that and with all the variants it could get complicated. Many places will be selling sleeves so that is always an option. Our reps will also have two ball packs at demo/fitting events as well.

No current plans for that and with all the variants it could get complicated. Many places will be selling sleeves so that is always an option. Our reps will also have two ball packs at demo/fitting events as well.

I hope you aren't in Cali right now haha, otherwise you are up awful early.

CS should be similar feeling but feel is very personal. The CSX should have a similar feel to the 2019 TT version but firmer than the 2018 CSX.

So it sounds like the CSX will see gains off driver for faster swing speeds, but will perform similarly around the greens as compared to the 2019 CSX TT?
Also, any tour pros playing the new CS?

Shortly before the Grandaddy began, I was contacted to take part in a secretive ball study on the new 2020 Chrome Soft. Beyond the normal reviews that we were tasked with, I was asked to go above and beyond in order to perform more longer term testing for others who are new to the game, or just high caps, like myself. I wasn't given specific directives from @JasonFinleyCG, but moreso given freedom to carry out the program as I saw fit. Sort of a "pilot" program, per se. It was to be done on both days at the Hideaway, and results would be compiled at a later date. In fact, I may never hear the results, but we'll see....

The program had the code name "SUB". It stood for Submerged, Underbrush, or Buried. I did my best to insure most of my allotment of new balls were placed strategically in various out of bounds locations throughout the course, in hopes that some day down the road, they would be retrieved and studied for long term elemental exposure. The overall experience was enjoyable, as I've never been part of a long-term study like this, but hope that the research based on this study will help Callaway better develop balls that will survive the bottom of the lake, the deep woods, or the thick rough. :LOL:

In all seriousness, the time I spent playing the new Chrome Soft was good. It's very difficult for me to tell how a specific ball will respond to me over long shots, as I'm not a consistent hitter. I like the feel of it off the driver, as it doesn't feel too hard. Where I really saw the benefits was around the green. When I was able to make a good strike, it responded pretty much exactly like I expected it to. Plenty of stopping power, and spin, when I wanted it.

Shortly before the Grandaddy began, I was contacted to take part in a secretive ball study on the new 2020 Chrome Soft. Beyond the normal reviews that we were tasked with, I was asked to go above and beyond in order to perform more longer term testing for others who are new to the game, or just high caps, like myself. I wasn't given specific directives from @JasonFinleyCG, but moreso given freedom to carry out the program as I saw fit. Sort of a "pilot" program, per se. It was to be done on both days at the Hideaway, and results would be compiled at a later date. In fact, I may never hear the results, but we'll see....

The program had the code name "SUB". It stood for Submerged, Underbrush, or Buried. I did my best to insure most of my allotment of new balls were placed strategically in various out of bounds locations throughout the course, in hopes that some day down the road, they would be retrieved and studied for long term elemental exposure. The overall experience was enjoyable, as I've never been part of a long-term study like this, but hope that the research based on this study will help Callaway better develop balls that will survive the bottom of the lake, the deep woods, or the thick rough. :LOL:

In all seriousness, the time I spent playing the new Chrome Soft was good. It's very difficult for me to tell how a specific ball will respond to me over long shots, as I'm not a consistent hitter. I like the feel of it off the driver, as it doesn't feel too hard. Where I really saw the benefits was around the green. When I was able to make a good strike, it responded pretty much exactly like I expected it to. Plenty of stopping power, and spin, when I wanted it.
This is so freaking cool!

Back