What’s your dexterity %

I practice with my boy @PatsFan clubs all the time. It’s fun to try something different

I classify myself as "extremely" right handed. The thing is, if I need to grip something really tight, like a tool, I will use my left hand. But to do anything involving fine motor control it's right hand all the way. Many years ago a friend of mine gave me a test in what was called "unconscious competence" IIRC. What I had to do was write my name normally with my right hand. Then, with the pen in my left hand, copy my name in slow motion, trying to be as accurate as possible. Then just write my signature at normal speed with my left hand. The idea being that the left handed signature should be somewhat similar to the right handed. Mine was absolutely unintelligible!

I’m probably 70/30 right hand dominant. I write with my right, but play hockey left handed. Golf left handed, but can also play righty, though not as well.

I am strongly right hand dominant. If I had something happen to my right hand I’m not sure I could do anything worthwhile with my left.

I classify myself as "extremely" right handed. The thing is, if I need to grip something really tight, like a tool, I will use my left hand. But to do anything involving fine motor control it's right hand all the way. Many years ago a friend of mine gave me a test in what was called "unconscious competence" IIRC. What I had to do was write my name normally with my right hand. Then, with the pen in my left hand, copy my name in slow motion, trying to be as accurate as possible. Then just write my signature at normal speed with my left hand. The idea being that the left handed signature should be somewhat similar to the right handed. Mine was absolutely unintelligible!
Below is my writing, both left-handed (top) and right-handed (bottom). Writing that phrase took me 29.92 seconds with my left hand, and 61.6 seconds with my right hand!

writing.jpg

2/3 RH. 1/3 LH. There are things I can train my LH to do. I used to be able to write with my LH. It wasn't easy, but I taught myself to do that.

I’d like to know the actual ratio but I’d guess 70/30. I’ve been swinging dominate side and non dominant side for speed training and can get within 15 mph of my dominant side. Not sure how that works into the ratio.

Righty, and probably 90-10 for daily activities but hands and wrists were closer to 50-50 back in the day for percussion instruments, lots of training drills then. Couldn't advance the golf ball more than 30-40 yards as a lefty, total spazz out.

Watched a movie 'Arrival' the other day and the aliens wrote in circles starting from one point, going in opposite directions, and meeting on the opposite side of the circle.

It got me thinking again- as a righty writing a sentence, flip it if you're a lefty writing. Can you imagine, or has anyone successfully done this, writing a sentence with the weaker left hand starting a sentence on one end while the stronger hand (right for me) starting at the end of the sentence and working toward the middle and meeting at mid-sentence with the left hand. So, the right hand is writing backward at reverse angle while the left hand is writing forward with lean. Whoa! Now that would be truly ambidextrous, I'm thinking.

I am a righty, but I can generate just as many joules of impact with every limb pair. Meanwhile, I can't swing a club left handed to save my life. Go figure.

i do almost everything left handed, except things like drive, where i have no control.

Basically everything other than that i do left handed or left footed

It depends on what I'm doing. I used to be quite good with either hand. I could shoot a basketball as well left handed as right handed. I just didn't have quite the range left handed. I played table tennis with either hand as well as hitting either left or right handed while playing baseball or softball. Again, I didn't hit it as far left handed as right handed but average wise I was about the same. Now that I'm and old duffer, I'm pretty much exclusively right handed. Part of that is because I severely broke my left elbow
and can no longer straighten that arm all the way.

Right. I did a little lefty for 5months when I broke my knuckles on my right hand back in 1996. I was told my hand writing looked better as a lefty.

I am as close to 50/50% as anybody you are going to see. I couldn’t even say which hand I prefer for fine motor skill or muscular activity. For some things you do eventually pick one to hone whatever skill development is involved. Sometimes you pick right handed just because it is a right handed world. Take scissors for example.

I pitched right and left handed through Little League. To this day I write right and left handed.

Absolute zero!

99% right-handed. I can catch a ball and take a drink with my left hand. Anything beyond that is asking too much.

It took a lot of time and effort for me to use my left hand effectively in basketball. For golf, or any other sport though, my left hand is practically useless. If I try to throw anything left-handed, it ain't pretty either. That said, I can shoot pool and play ping-pong OK left-handed. All in all, I'd say my dexterity % is 92/8.

I'm like, maybe 80/20 R/L. Good left jab, preferred hand to steer the wheel, preferred drink sipping limb. But, that's about it.

I'm an edge case because I write left-handed and do almost everything else right-handed. But even so, my dexterity with the opposite hand is nowhere near 50/50 - if I try to write right-handed it looks like a second-grader, and if I try to golf/throw/bat, etc. left-handed it's a disaster.
This is me. I probably would have been full-on lefty if it wasn't for my dad being right-handed and me copying that. I can swing a bat left-handed. If we are playing catch with a football and we are 10-15 yards apart I can throw left-handed and right-handed and you wouldn't know which hand I am but if we spread out further I can't throw it as far left-handed or as accurately.

I can use my left hand for many things... but for things that require fine motor skills, I'm using my right hand.

70/30 right.

Throws people off depending what it is

I have found I am about 50R/50L for pulling the club out of the bag. Changes to about 95R/5L if swinging.

Last edited:
Can it be a negative number?

Pretty close to 50/50 for me, I do a lot of things right handed and a lot of things left handed. When I was in high school I switch hit, and I'd use a left handed glove playing 1st and right handed when I was in the outfield or at 3rd. Throw a football left handed, golf right handed, shoot a gun/pool left handed, eat right handed (mostly), write right handed, play guitar right handed, etc.

Back