What’s your dexterity %

I separated my right shoulder in college and got pretty good at playing quarters and darts left handed. I also got to the point where I could write a little bit. My penmanship right handed sucks as it is so I didn’t have far to come.

My son is pretty close to ambidextrous. He writes left handed. Plays golf, hockey and lacrosse right handed. If you give him a baseball he throws it right handed but throws a football left handed.

100% lefty for everything except golf.

Righty, 99.9%

50/50 I use sharp objects with either hand. As a stroke survivor who temporarily lost right side coordination and feel I had my hand dexterity repeatedly tested.
I can do everything with my left hand as well as my right now.
The left still has the edge for extreme fine motion control. The right is a bit stronger because I use it more. It is a right handed world.
I'd practice penmanship with both hands when I was in the rehab ward. It took very little effort to write neatly with my left hand.
I still practice penmanship a couple times a month with my right hand 25 years later!

Last edited:
As a child, I started out writing left handed but the nuns that taught me how to write wouldn’t allow it and they made me switch to right handed. Could be why my penmanship was so bad. I’m left eye dominant too. I can do a lot of things with either hand but it takes practice to be equally proficient both ways and I use my right hand for the majority of things

I can one handed swing an 8# sledge quite accurately and effectively with either hand.
My left hand will deliver 320 joules to our strike dummy at the dojo My right hand around 335J. ( Nice to have a GM electrical engineer as part of our club, he made this himself)

I can neither throw nor bat well left handed, but my left handed wrist shot is still wicked. Left handed slap shot is a joke.

Left handed punch outs are OK, but a left handed full swing? Nah, wont even try. LOL

Had a few things this year that left my dominant hand unusable for awhile over a few spurts and got me to thinking how’s everyone’s dexterity? Are you even split 50/50 closer to a 25/75 as a righty or in my case 2/98? Also curious to see if a middle of the road % leads to a better golfer or what you think?
I’m lefty in literally everything that I do. Never realized just how extreme until I broke my left collarbone and needed to wipe my rear righty — let’s just say I spent a lot more on TP than usual for a few weeks

I can’t throw or hit a golf ball very well left handed. I can kick a ball left footed or shoot a shotgun left handed. I’d say I’m about 80% right sided.

Golf is the only thing I do right-handed. Everything else is life is done left-handed so maybe 95/5 L/R.

I broke the last two fingers on my right hand, ( dominate) playing baseball in the 9th grade. Had to finish out the year doing the best I could to write with my left. But throwing a ball, not a pretty sight.

I'm a lefty who golfs right handed because the clubs of my inlaws are all right handed.

I'm an edge case because I write left-handed and do almost everything else right-handed. But even so, my dexterity with the opposite hand is nowhere near 50/50 - if I try to write right-handed it looks like a second-grader, and if I try to golf/throw/bat, etc. left-handed it's a disaster.
I'm exactly the same.

Funnily enough my Dad was the opposite.

I'm right handed, but golf left. Well any swinging sport is left.

I would say I'm in the 60/40 camp. Ish.

I shoot guns and play pool left handed, anything else I’m like a spaz as a lefty.

I shoot a rifle and shotgun left handed, everything else is right handed .

I'm 99/1 righty. Left is wildly uncoordinated. And I'm definitely a below average golfer.
My son is 60/40. He writes and throws righty, but golfs and plays hockey lefty. And he's way better than me.
I think that supports your thesis.

I'm around 55-45. Right hand is dominant, but I'm able to do most things equally as well with my left. My right is stronger primarily because Iu se it more often. When I bowled left handed for a year, due to injury, my left hand got stronger, and more coordinated, quickly. I think I could get to 50/50 if I focused on using the left more. It has not made me a good golfer, but may give me potential to get better more quickly if I do get proper lessons.

Golf is the only thing I do right-handed. Everything else is life is done left-handed so maybe 95/5 L/R.
This, but the opposite. To be fair, before I saw this post I was going to give my left hand 15% but 5% is acceptable.

Playing basketball, I was a decent at dribbling and lay ups lefty. That probably counts for something.

I'd guess 40 left and 60 right. I try and work on it actually, I'll purposely do things with my left hand or when I'm weight lifting focus more on my left hand side or left arm. Mostly that's just cuz I'm crazy though. I hate when I can tell that I'm better at doing something with my right or right leg than my left side.

Not sure if being more even would make me a better golfer or not. Couldn't hurt.

I am as 50/50% as anybody you are ever likely to encounter. I am age 66 I still write on a whiteboard with either hand depending on where the markers are. I can adapt with either hand or foot equally well. When I was a kid I pitched competively with either arm. There are lots of skills that have a learned component that builds with repetition and experience. So, over time even the most ambidextrous person with pick one or the other for various tasks to get the maximum reps in to build the skill. Some things like opening a door or using scissors default to the right hand because the world is set up for right-handers. But if the world was set up for left-handers it would be just as easy to go that way.

I would be in a world of hurt if I had to rely on using my left hand for anything.

99.99% right, 0.01% left

Oh my left side is a completely different person lol

I’ve injured my right side enough to be somewhat competent with my left hand, I wouldn’t attempt anything athletic or requiring a great deal of motor skills with my left, but I can write decently, use a spoon, and other basic functions with my left hand.

True story. When I took beginner’s golf lessons at age 13 the instructor was handing out 7-irons and asked, “right or left handed?” I said, “Doesn’t matter.” It stopped him cold! He asked me three questions, then gave up and handed me a left-handed club because he had more of them left.

Two of the questions were:
“Which arm do you throw with?” I pitched in Little League with either arm.
“What hand do you write with? “Depends on where the chalk is.”

I don’t remember the third question, but you get the idea. I am extremely ambidextrous.

Me not so great, But my boy @snafu who is lefty can hit my right handed driver as I can.:eek:

Back