What’s your tempo?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
If you browse on any shaft manufacturers website looking at shaft profiles or doing their online fitting you will notice they often have an area that shows made for fast swingers or something similar…basically what is your tempo? Is it deliberate, moderate, or fast/aggressive?

I used to think mine was moderate or deliberate but after listening to @Jman talk about my swing in the graphite design shaft video we did I have come to realize I have actually an aggressive tempo and now it makes sense why some shafts work better for me than others.

If you are the type who wants to try something without doing an actual fitting You can often get an idea what shaft may fit you based on the manufacturer specs if you know what what your tempo is.

do you know your tempo? What is it?

I would say my tempo is normal/smooth, but I generally find that if I go slower I am more consistent. I just have trouble going slow

I do not know and don’t want to hijack the thread, but here’s a pretty typical swing for me. Thoughts?

I thought I had an aggressive tempo at one time. After getting fit at Club Champion, multiple people remarked that I had a super smooth tempo. If only my swing felt as smooth as it appears to other people. I have since started looking more towards profiles that suit a less aggressive transition.

Not sure?

Quick tempo, short swing.

Definitely in the fast/aggressive category, and steep, don't forget the steep

Slow backswing then fast downswing. So no idea where that leaves me.

I have always been described as fast and aggressive but I had been working on having a better tempo. The Mizuno shaft optimizer rates tempo on a scale of 1.0-9.0 with the higher the number the faster and more aggressive. Mine was a 5.0 last week so I would say its more moderate now.

I am somewhere between deliberate and moderate. I always get the comment that my swing is really smooth and it doesn't look like I am swinging hard for the distance I get.
I really think it's due to being a drummer and having pretty good timing.

At 63 yrs old, I'll take all the compliments I can get....LOL

I do not know and don’t want to hijack the thread, but here’s a pretty typical swing for me. Thoughts?

Based on a few training videos I have seen, a ratio of the time it takes for you to complete a backswing to your down swing should be around 3, though if this is off, someone correct me. It's hard to get an accurate number without a slow-motion video, but I'd say yours is in the ballpark.

I need to slow my backswing down. My tee game has been poor lately so this is an area I am focusing on.

Slow and smooth.

Used to be super fast, now deliberate then aggressive!

Low and slow on the way back then full John Daly on the down swing.

According to Tour Tempo app I do the best with 21/7. Swing- set- thru

Moderate with woods & hybrids. Fairly aggressive with irons.

I think mine use to be more moderate, but when it would go bad it would really go bad. Since then I've shortened and become more aggressive which has allowed me to keep my distance without as much length -- and therefore the amount of things that can go wrong in between.

Edit -- Here is the video to my old, moderate swing

Last edited:
Slow backswing then fast downswing. So no idea where that leaves me.
I’d say you are on the higher end of deliberate

Short, aggressive with my driver
Long and smoother in my irons

Remember though these are all being done by a mid-high handicap golfer

Back