What Are You Working On?

I find it difficult to explain what I work on in my normal swing that would make sense to others. I try to ingrain the feeling in my downswing where every thing is rotating away from the target except the left leg and right elbow.

An additional thing for me to think about is straightening my left wrist at the top of the back swing and keeping it straight through impact. I think I need this in order to assure a downward angle of attack.

Getting a bit steeper at the top of my backswing

Had a good day at the sim place. After some swing work and experiments I learned my current set up is best for me.

I'm working on starting with my weight slightly back (8 iron and stronger), keeping my elbows in, and transferring my weight better. I'm embracing my steep swing and going with it.

I have a set of old Hogan Radials and a recent thread about those clubs motivated me to hit a few balls with them today. I used to practice with 3i all the time with the belief/hope that it might help me improve my swing mechanics.

Anyway, I was surprised how well I hit that 3i today considering I hadn't swung a club much in the last couple of weeks. Distance wasn't very good... maybe the distance I get with my Maltby 7i and 6i. But I was able to get decent launch angle, not too bad of dispersion, and even hit that tiny sweetspot on several shots.

It was a nice diversion.

Last couple of range sessions I have worked on flighting the ball. This is one of my favorite shots to hit, but I have a habit of turning them over too much right to left. Working on opening the stance, opening the face, 3/4 ish back swing, keep follow through low. This shot gives me a lot of control against wind, with wind, and without wind. I need to calculate distances with each club to be more effective, but the shot itself is in a good place right now.

We worked on hitting a stinger at my most recent lesson.

Weight transfer and it’s clicking

It has been tempo most of the year which is still a secondary thought, but currently in the process of rebuilding my fundamentals. For example my right hand grip on the club and my whole takeaway. I started these last two tonight. I am tired of being a hero one day and a zero the next day. I need a repeatable consistent swing that is playable even on my off days.

I’ve been working on not flipping through impact. I used to deloft my clubs and my hands were at my front leg at impact. Now they’re at center line. It’s been tough and it’s probably time to solicit the help of a professional.

Keeping my backswing short

Turn don’t sway and tempo.

Working on the first few feet of the takeaway. I get the club head outside. Probably from using the hands too much. Frustrating

Was struggling a bit to make good contact yesterday when I noticed I was neglecting a feel that had worked so well previously.
That was the feeling of extending my arms after starting the transition from the top.
Contact improved immediately after focusing on that.
It had everything to do with getting the lower body moving and the weight shift towards the target before the shoulders and arms started turning. Oddly enough, the hands had nothing to do with the change that improved the ball striking. It’s almost as though the hands controlling everything is overstated or just plain wrong. So weird!

This week I came to a realization that my swing goes awry if my tempo gets too fast. I think it's because when I get too fast I don't really rotate my hips properly.

With driver, the same is true from above, but I also really need to make sure I don't setup with my hands too far forward in my stance.

In addition, if I don't maintain a focus on a mark or dimple on the back of the ball (during the backswing and through impact), I will end up standing up and not making good contact.

Played a simulator round yesterday Focused on relaxing before address for a second or two, the low take away and getting my left shoulder turned under my chin ... works great when I do that!!!

Using the lower body to provide the energy to start the backswing so the hands and arms don't go crazy.

Get weight on front by end of backswing, then swing/fling arms/hands, not turning chest and hips until body turns the chest and hips. Flinging with speed so the strike is meaningful.

Making a full shoulder turn on the back swing, and on the down swing allowing the arms, hands, club trail as I pull through the swing. When I do it correctly, the results are startling.

I've been working since late summer to slow my transition down so I can be in a more consistent place. Hitting a lot more fairways (granted it's still not many). I really need to start working on putting as that's been woeful the last 4 rounds.

Using the lower body to provide the energy to start the backswing so the hands and arms don't go crazy.

One thing my teacher told me was to feel like my right hip basically controls the backswing. This assures my hip rotates, and it feels like the hip is over my target side foot at the top of the backswing (it's probably not that extreme in reality).

One thing my teacher told me was to feel like my right hip basically controls the backswing. This assures my hip rotates, and it feels like the hip is over my target side foot at the top of the backswing (it's probably not that extreme in reality).

That's the way I am starting - trail hip moves back, arms move automatically - all I need to do is cock the wrist.

Get weight on front by end of backswing, then swing/fling arms/hands, not turning chest and hips until body turns the chest and hips. Flinging with speed so the strike is meaningful.

To add to this experiment, and I experiment trying to find what swing is consistent with speed -- when I attempted to turn my chest, club came down steep and heavy and left. So I adjusted. Swung the arms and hands and waited for them to complete the turn - if you are swinging sufficiently and arms are relaxed, body/chest balances itself with a turn.

Switching from an interlock to an overlap grip. Seems to make a huge difference for me so far. Helping me keep the club face a little more open, so eliminating hooks and adding launch.

I am continuing to work on the hips. I came across Russell Heritage on YouTube, and although he is verbose and takes time to get to the point ( I may suffer from this myself :rolleyes:), his focus on and description of the swing resonates with me. I believe that adjusting my move and better positioning my hips will improve my ball striking consistency. Sim session later today.

Back