What Are You Working On?

I've been working on getting my hands a bit lower during the down swing. I fight casting often, so I'm always working on combating it in different ways.

I've been dabbling in stack and tilt with my irons, at least just for range sessions.
I like to go where my swing takes me; sometimes it requires more weight forward or back, etc.

I have spent the better part of the last few days continuing to work on the initial takeaway. It is starting to get ingrained, but with travel coming up, not sure when I will hit the course again.
I put a controversial takeaway video up in a Leadbetter thread the other day. I dare you :ROFLMAO:

Once the courses recover from overseed....(unfortunately when full snowbird pricing kicks in)....I MUST learn to have a servicable tee game. Be that driver/5W/3W. I've got to break through my mental block the besieges me at times.

I am currently working on my takeaway also and not bringing the club so far inside. I also am working on no hip stall in the down swing. Being in synch on the takeaway with my hips also.

Big ones are consistent contact with short irons and break putting.

My hybrid will launch all day, but my short irons thin and fat like wild. My guess is I am coming in too shallow with my swing, and the super low CG of the hybrid forgives me but the irons don't.

Putting has got better as far as line and speed, but breaks just screw me. I am starting from scratch there.

Making my right butt check go straight back not any lateral right movement. Then getting weight transfer right before the top of my back swing. When done correctly irons are crisp and sharp. If I get lazy lateral sway comes into play. Causing all kinds of issues.

Last edited:
I’m working on not rolling the club face open at takeaway leading to a weak shallow swing. My drill is a takeaway which feels like I’m dramatically hooding the club and swinging massively ‘out’. The reality on camera is that it looks a lot more neutral.
Im
Pulling all my scoring irons left.... Working on my alignment and ensuring my swing path is correct.
Pulling your scoring irons left? Is your grip the same for all of your clubs? If so... I had the same issue in the past. Scoring irons are much shorter and your swing will be more upright naturally. Just pull right or hook right? Sounds like out to in swing with closed club face. Try coming more from the inside to start the ball to the right of target. Good luck. Take care.

Having been under lockdown city and state, for considerable period of time , lve dragged clubs out often out the
back yard and swung the clubs only . Got to range a couple of times in last 10 days… and hit some balls , have had practice putting for 20-30 mins… heres what l made up

Alignment stick at hole and put another club the butt end along the centreline of straight back and through swing …
Felt very obvious it being there and peripherally the club was square … putted up hill approx 6 metres . Really enjoyed the grouping nothing more than 3/4 metre beyond hole , a lot within .5 metre and several within 150 mm /6 inches
Iam liking this , most if the practice 2/3 time spent on wedges to 8i maybe 15 hits with driver and hybrid.

Working on:

Speed.
Using Stack System,
The ground with the feet and using feet like throwing a ball to adjust the forces.
Flinging the club from the top for speed
Keeping club face square at impact

Shallowing out wedges

Last edited:
Season up north is almost down here…. I’ll then be working some speed training along with balance work. Too often I feel I’m off balance in the swing thus impacting my overall game. Add into that, back to daily stretching and working out.

Two things. First off, I have a terrible habit of sliding rather than rotating in my swing. Noticed that issue had slipped back in at the range so once again working to eliminate that. The other, possibly related, is making sure I get my right heel lifted in my downswing. Noticed I'd been having issues big blocks and I think it had to do with staying too planted on my trail foot, not allowing enough rotation.

There's a million other things I could work on swing wise since I'm constantly searching but those stand out at the moment.

I tend to get creative, which results in creative outcomes. :rolleyes:
I really like this quote and plan and taking it to the course with me.

Season up north is almost down here…. I’ll then be working some speed training along with balance work. Too often I feel I’m off balance in the swing thus impacting my overall game. Add into that, back to daily stretching and working out.
Care to share what you plan on doing in the off-season for balance training?

Working on better sequencing from the top. It continues to be a challenge for me

Trying to backtrack to the swing I was using while taking lessons. I think it became bastardized the last few weeks. Went back to basics tonight and was hitting on better lines. I just have to take more club as the distances are a bit less.

I started with a new teacher last Friday, and below were some of the key points. Other than the ball placement which I don't think is a serious issue with my swing, I'm working on the other things and feel like it's already benefitting me.

Half step – full step for ball position with hybrids to 8 iron
Flare left foot out
Setup with shaft closer to perpendicular to the ground
Focus on back of ball
Let right hip start the back swing (keep weight over left foot; don’t shift weight backward)
Keep right arm in toward body
In down swing imagine there’s another ball in front of the one you’re hitting, and you want to hit them both toward target (this helps keep face square to target)
With driver, at setup keep driver shaft perpendicular to ground
With driver, similar in down swing except realize you’re hitting up on the ball

Trying to get steeper at the top of my backswing as I'm currently getting too laid off

Mostly the mental game…

Stay in the present, stay loose and free, no swing thoughts or mechanics while on the course, there is only the target and the tempo, nothing else. Don’t hit it until I’m fully committed to the shot and effin’ BELIEVE I’m sending it to the target.

On the range I’m working on dialing in 25/50/75/100% yardages with each wedge. I used to be super accurate with all that but it has faded.

On the practice green I’m working on hitting a specific spot with each chip or pitch, something small like a divot or whatever the smallest target I can see is.

Put in a lot of short game work tonight. It is a strength of my game but requires a lot of work

I am working on trying to determine why a push with my irons seems to be my default miss. It's all part of a change in attitude towards trusting my swing vs trying to make adjustments on the fly. I want to identify what's happening and figure out the right fix. Then practice the heck out of it and see if it shows up on the course.

It felt like I was closer to figuring it out today. It has something to do with losing my orientation with the target line I take at address - if that makes sense. As I rotate back in the backswing, the downswings wants to follow a line more to the right of my target. When I use the line on the ball to line up my shot, that "shift" to the right becomes very obvious even though I don't feel it while it's happening.

So I'm not sure whether to adjust that swing path or make the adjustment to the club face. Watching that high draw come back towards the target line is a great feeling but I'm not sure how repeatable it's going to be. All I know is that a slight adjustment can make a pretty big difference. So far, the misses have been tighter than before I took lessons.

I am working on trying to determine why a push with my irons seems to be my default miss. It's all part of a change in attitude towards trusting my swing vs trying to make adjustments on the fly. I want to identify what's happening and figure out the right fix. Then practice the heck out of it and see if it shows up on the course.

It felt like I was closer to figuring it out today. It has something to do with losing my orientation with the target line I take at address - if that makes sense. As I rotate back in the backswing, the downswings wants to follow a line more to the right of my target. When I use the line on the ball to line up my shot, that "shift" to the right becomes very obvious even though I don't feel it while it's happening.

So I'm not sure whether to adjust that swing path or make the adjustment to the club face. Watching that high draw come back towards the target line is a great feeling but I'm not sure how repeatable it's going to be. All I know is that a slight adjustment can make a pretty big difference. So far, the misses have been tighter than before I took lessons.

Instruction I received when ball starts right and stays right ie push; is to have intention to pull the butt of the club up and around the left hip(right hand swingers), through impact. Effect is increased clubhead velocity and clubface closing quicker, as you apparently have a correct inside to out path.
Just intention is sufficient. It happens in too short a time to do it consciously.

Technical terminology is Parametric Acceleration. REF Miura

Instruction I received when ball starts right and stays right ie push; is to have intention to pull the butt of the club up and around the left hip(right hand swingers), through impact. Effect is increased clubhead velocity and clubface closing quicker, as you apparently have a correct inside to out path.
Just intention is sufficient. It happens in too short a time to do it consciously.

Technical terminology is Parametric Acceleration. REF Miura
Interesting. I’ve never thought of using the left hand to square the club face though I thought it might help increase the club head speed. I’ll give it a try. Thank you @Arlo.

Interesting. I’ve never thought of using the left hand to square the club face though I thought it might help increase the club head speed. I’ll give it a try. Thank you @Arlo.
As you intend to sweep the clubface under the inside of the ball, intend also to pull the butt of the club up and around your left hip a little more.
Rather than having clubface looking right of the target at impact(push), the clubface will accelerate turning CC around the hosel when hosel decelerates as a result of pulling the butt up and around.

Cheers.

Continuing to keep my eyes on a specific point through impact (helps me stay down and hit through the ball).

Feel like swinging to right center field for in to out swing path.

Hitting a stinger.

Keeping my head still which stops me from swaying. On the rare occasions that I remember to keep my head still I hit the ball so well.

Back