What are your personal thoughts on graphite iron shafts?

I have some matrix programs to tinker with

I've yet to hit those. All I've read about them has been great. Will be fun to follow long. Going into the Apex or Z545?

I've yet to hit those. All I've read about them has been great. Will be fun to follow long. Going into the Apex or Z545?
Z545 for sure

I hit both the Recoils, Prototypes, and Programs. The Prototypes were my favorite mostly because of launch and similar weight to steel. The Programs were a bit high launch for me. I already hit it high so that killed my distances. Loved the feel. I have always been a Matrix shaft guy. If I had to buy another set, I would definitely go with Program and have a fitter tip more to bring the flight down.

Some 20 years ago while hitting balls at a range in Fayetteville, NC a co-worker pulled out a set of clubs from the trunk of his car. They were a graphite shafted set of Beryllium-Copper irons, they weren't Pings, some knock-off brand that I never heard of. He said they were specially built for him and cost about $2000. That was back in 1995. When I hit them I was impressed at how soft they felt, like I was hitting a walnut instead of a golf ball. I filed that away in the back of my mind and said to myself that if I ever get hand and elbow problems in my old age I might go that route. Well I retired 2 years ago and I'm 64 now and last year I found me a set of Ping ISI's in BeCu that were Silver dots, just what I needed. I bought them just to cannibalize them for their heads. I installed SK Fiber Tour Performance shafts in R-Flex (taper tip) in them. I applied tip-weights to the ends of the shafts before epoxying them into place to attain the same approximate swing weight I was accustomed to. I was able to pretty much duplicate that soft feel that I experienced years earlier. My only hang up and the only thing that keeps me from making them my #1 set of irons is that I have a bad tendency to pull almost every shot a few degrees to the left. It's not a hook, just a straight pull. This is universal throughout the set. And it's extremely frustrating when it happens on my shorter irons during approach shots when I'm hitting them the perfect distance but 15 to 20 feet left of the pin. Yes I know the ISI's are offset, but so are my other irons. I suppose in time I will just learn to aim a bit right to compensate. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

I play a lot, and when I was using steel iron shafts, I had chronic pain in my left elbow. I switched to graphite shafts in my irons (except for GW, AW, and SW) and no more pain.

Today will be my last round with steel shafts ever. Wrists and hands hurt like a mother

Mike - what grips are you using? I love my steel KBS shafts, but was having some soreness issues after I went to them from the graphite matrix shafts in my A4's. I put on the Winn Dri-Tac grips and haven't had an issue since.

Mike - what grips are you using? I love my steel KBS shafts, but was having some soreness issues after I went to them from the graphite matrix shafts in my A4's. I put on the Winn Dri-Tac grips and haven't had an issue since.
Lamkin 3 gen

I wonder if I will hit 441's irons any better with the graphite shafts in them.

I wonder if I will hit 441's irons any better with the graphite shafts in them.
That's going to be tough, you set the bar so high, especially in your bare feet.

Maybe early next year you can give them a whirl

I didn't play golf from 2001 to 2012, my old clubs were blades and an old Pittsburg persimmon driver. I mean the original TM driver. Obviously those weren't going to work for me any longer and I had a limited budget so I started looking at used clubs. Came across a set of AP1 712 irons on eBay that I got for around $400. They had a set of shafts installed I had never heard of before, Aerotech Steelfiber i95. Well after some research I was thrilled since the shafts were worth the price of the clubs on their own. In any case I loved those clubs until some a-hole broke into my car and stole them, well I ended up buying a set of SLDR irons to replace them and as soon as I can afford the shafts the Steelfiber i95,s are going back in.

Back