What chipping technique are you currently using?

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
Since greenside chipping has been a nemesis of mine for a few seasons, I'm interested in hearing what other THPers are currently using, "technique" wise.

Last winter, I focused a good bit on more of a hinge-and-hold method and it helped me get much better than I was, but even that started to fall apart later last season. Additionally, I don't think the manner in which I was using hinge-and-hold took advantage of the bounce like I could have. So, I'm looking at methods to really work on this off-season, and leaning towards trying to use more of the bounce.

What technique/method are you currently using, and do you see yourself making any changes there?

65℅ of weight on lead leg, face slightly open, dead arm swing ala Day/Stricker. Gives me much better distance control than I used to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Been doing a lot of flopping at the practice area. Trying to incorporate this into 2017. Such a stressful shot. As for the technique. Just trying to keep that right elbow tucked in and the weight forward.

Wait.....there are different techniques? Mother...................#%!*

I am a big fan of Tom Watson when it comes to short game.

really tried to simplify my technique after I got a short game lesson.

set up similar to a putt, weight maybe 65/35 front/back, ball back in the stance and hit it like a putt with a PW/9I mostly. figure the ball will roll about as much as it flys.

Have had better success than always using my 58*, but I still do that when short sided or needing to stop something more quickly.

Wait.....there are different techniques? Mother...................#%!*

LOL. My problem, is that I probably try to use multiple methods within the same swing.

I am a big fan of Tom Watson when it comes to short game.

I like some of these thoughts - pretty simple. Will give this a try, for sure.

I've always been fairly handsy with fairly decent success but this winter I'm working on getting to a much more rotary method a la Jason Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like some of these thoughts - pretty simple. Will give this a try, for sure.

One thing Watson does that a lot try not to, is have movement in his legs while chipping. You'll notice it in that quick video. A lot of people say to quiet your legs, but I'm not a fan of that at all. You lose touch IMO doing that. Everyone is different though, so it's something worth messing around a little with to see which way feels better.

I put weight on my lead leg and depending how close i am to the green it will be a long "putter stroke" if close, Toe down if around the green and if further away i will rotate around my body through the swing.

I am a big fan of James Siekmann teachings and use some of his methods. In the end though I think chipping comes down to personal preference. There are a lot of ways to get the ball close. Players shouldn't be afraid to experiment with different techniques to find their own way

I've always been fairly handsy with fairly decent success but this winter I'm working on getting to a much more rotary method a la Jason Day.

I've worked to be much less handsy, as that has wreaked havoc on my results - too much dependency on timing for me. "Rotary" and "Rotation" (Mike G) are thoughts I have started to use as well, trying to take emphasis off of extra movement in my hands, trying to use the "Big muscles" like I have been working on with putting.

I'm using roger Cleveland technique that he showed me.

He told me straighten my legs more, stick my but out more and make sure to follow through lifting my right heel on my follow through... boom

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Most of the weight on the left side and a firm left hand. Get much more consistency than using my hands.

Depending on how much green the ball has to run out to the hole, use anywhere from 5 iron (just off the green and long way to go to the hole) to a 9 iron (just off the green and short way to go to the hole). I use my putter grip for these shots and swing like a putt.

Chipping is all about finding what works for you, as the Milk Man said, it's very personal.

Play around with different shots, strokes, etc, but ultimately; develop your own feel. And that's the key. It doesn't matter what your swing looks like or what others say, if you FEEL you can make a good swing and contact, with a good result, then you're onto a winner.

I went with the rule of 12/putting stroke. More often than not it has been vast improvement to my former method(s) of swing & hope

Since October when the grass died, I have been using a 7 iron for most of the chips. Unless there is a lot of bumps, thick grass patches, or an area that I can't roll over, I use a7i.

It has lowered my score by 5-7 strokes. Sometimes I can dribble the ball up, and have it die close to the cup.

Elevated greens, bunkers, and water still require my 53* wedge.

My stroke is like a hard putter stroke. Not much takeaway, or follow through.

More of a firm thwack!!!!

Pelz method.

I use the dont chunk it method, thats all i know.

No comment im awful and try to mimmick all kinds of techniques out there an ultimately succumb to the stab wedge

Forward press hold and scoop with shoulders only. Change wedge for height and ball position back for run out. key is try to eliminate the wrist release.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Happy to see that my intended technique is exactly that of Mr. Watson's. Of course its reality on display is certainly something quite different to be sure but good intentions matter! ?

Practice really helped me of course but what helped most was the complete opposite approach that I'd ever taken before.

I used to always practice moderate to fairly long chips hoping to groove a stroke and feel for distance concurrently.

This season I completely flipped the script and practiced short chips, even very short chips of only 5'-6' or so. What I quickly learned was that the delicate chips really demanded a technique predicated upon more touch and feel that my stroke allowed.

I instinctively softened my grip, opened the face very slightly, applied a bit more weight to my left side and after slightly hinging my wrists upon takeaway, I'd hold that wrist angle through impact with my stroke feeling very much like a putt.

Once I had the feel for even the shortest of chips, chips that would likely never happen on the course as I'd probably putt the ball, moving back and gauging distance was a breeze.

The technique was exactly the same for longer distances and I found it abundantly simpler to increase effort with the new feel than to decrease it with my prior approach.

Get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Only go high if absolutely necessary. Be aggressive and get a good "thump" into the turf with the bounce of your wedge.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I change every few rounds, im not good at any of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back