What Driver Should I Check Out

johnnymo

Reaction score
Handicap
Gift certificates in hand I am heading to a Golf Galaxy next week and will most likely be looking at picking up a new driver.

The supertri and old school R9 are pretty high on my wishlist but what else should I check out? I am kinda anti Callaway/Nike but not for any valid reason and quite frankly I need to knock that kind of thinking off.

They have monitors so my choice will be result based but I figured I would get a couple of opinions from the members here so I don't miss any diamonds in the rough (I probably never would have heard of the Mashie if it was not for this forum.)

Little bit of info. SS 104-106ish last measured in September at a ball fiting, preferred flight mid and mid spin. Current driver is way too low launch for my ss and swing changes.

I may hang onto my current driver and pull the shaft / get a R9 tip on it if I go that route.

Thanks in advance,

john

I went into a Golf Galaxy recently and they actually came down on price when I told them I saw the same thing on EBay cheaper. They looked up the item and came down a little but did not match. Just a tip to keep in mind.

I went into a Golf Galaxy recently and they actually came down on price when I told them I saw the same thing on EBay cheaper. They looked up the item and came down a little but did not match. Just a tip to keep in mind.

Thanks Dragon, I looked over their price matching policies last night because Rockbottom has the R9 and R9 460 at like 169 and just last week TGW had the Supertris at 254 sad to say that deal is over though :(

i luv my titleist 910

Don't forget the shaft! A lot of good heads out there, but the shaft is what makes it!

Don't forget the shaft! A lot of good heads out there, but the shaft is what makes it!

That's what she said!!!

Sorry couldn't resist...

You should look at an Adams speedline.

Sounds like everyone has been loving the new Adams 9064LS. It seemed long when I tried it, but something about the head shape on Adams drivers has been putting me off in the Speedline line. They seem stubby... almost fairway wood-like. I love my FT-iZ, liked how the Diablo Octane felt, and the old Diablo Edge was a nice (underrated) driver too. There's three Callaway's for you to try and break your anti tilt towards them. :) Try the Tour Edge Exotics drivers. You may be surprised... and then put them down when you see the price tag, but still, you may be surprised.

Sounds like everyone has been loving the new Adams 9064LS. It seemed long when I tried it, but something about the head shape on Adams drivers has been putting me off in the Speedline line. They seem stubby... almost fairway wood-like. I love my FT-iZ, liked how the Diablo Octane felt, and the old Diablo Edge was a nice (underrated) driver too. There's three Callaway's for you to try and break your anti tilt towards them. :) Try the Tour Edge Exotics drivers. You may be surprised... and then put them down when you see the price tag, but still, you may be surprised.

Im with you on the Adams. Just did not care for it compared to others. As for the Edge, it was not underrated here...It won our 2010 THP DSO. :act-up:

Ha... ok. So apparently I'm not the only one that liked them :drinks:

I love my r9 with my miyazaki shaft but I was blown away by the Diablo octane tour. I saw incredible numbers out of it and if I wasn't so pleased with what I have this driver would be in the bag.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

tested a lot of driver over the last 6 months from golf plus in evansville in every time a new model came out they called got on launch monitor if the numbers were there took it to the course for a test. had to b at least 15 to 20 diff drivers with diff shafts i no this site has no luv for titleist but the 910 finally nocked the ft-9 out of the bag.the test u show jb i tried 2 of those drivers and they were not in the same area code as the titleist 910 and i personaly think the 910 f is even better will c

tested a lot of driver over the last 6 months from golf plus in evansville in every time a new model came out they called got on launch monitor if the numbers were there took it to the course for a test. had to b at least 15 to 20 diff drivers with diff shafts i no this site has no luv for titleist but the 910 finally nocked the ft-9 out of the bag.the test u show jb i tried 2 of those drivers and they were not in the same area code as the titleist 910 and i personaly think the 910 f is even better will c

This all comes down to fitting. If you are a high spin player, the 910 can lower that spin and will help you out. If you have a slower SS and need or want the extra spin to create distance, then the 910 is not the best option. It all comes down to finding the proper launch numbers. The same thing we ALWAYS preach and take brand out of the equation. Its about the numbers and ONLY about the numbers for me.

Glad its working for you and beat out all the other drivers (I think that is what you said). For us (and a few others in the 910 thread), the spin numbers were way too low and distance was short because of it. This is why we have THP Outings & Demo Days. So people can try everything and find out for themselves with others around on a launch monitor, exactly what works and what doesn't. We urge everybody to come down and hit everything side by side.

I have tested a lot of driver over the last 6 months from golf, plus in Evansville in every time a new model came out they called got on launch monitor if the numbers were there took it to the course for a test. Had to be at least 15 to 20 diff drivers with different shafts. I know this site has no love for titleist but the 910 finally knocked the ft-9 out of the bag. The test u show JB, I tried 2 of those drivers and they were not in the same area code as the titleist 910 and I personally think the 910 is even better. We'll see.
FIFY.... and also, who said this site has no love for titleist. I bet there are plenty of people who play titleist equipment. I bet there are even more playing a ProV1 or ProV1x. Some people don't like them just because of the SC thing, and that is understandable.

This all comes down to fitting. If you are a high spin player, the 910 can lower that spin and will help you out. If you have a slower SS and need or want the extra spin to create distance, then the 910 is not the best option. It all comes down to finding the proper launch numbers. The same thing we ALWAYS preach and take brand out of the equation. Its about the numbers and ONLY about the numbers for me.

Glad its working for you and beat out all the other drivers (I think that is what you said). For us (and a few others in the 910 thread), the spin numbers were way too low and distance was short because of it. This is why we have THP Outings & Demo Days. So people can try everything and find out for themselves with others around on a launch monitor, exactly what works and what doesn't. We urge everybody to come down and hit everything side by side.

I'm a high spin player and the 910 didn't work for me. It's a great driver and it's not like it got its ass kicked by some of the others but my launch angle was too low (not usually a problem for me) and it was one of the shortest drivers I tested. I think if you have a stout SS it would be bomber, I just don't have it.

Based on your ss, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't give the octane and octane tour a go. I agree that the r9 and supertri are good options too

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks everybody for all the great info.

This is exactly why I like this community because Tour Exotics were not even on my radar (thanks for that link.) The 910s look great but my efforts to combat backspin led me in the wrong direction and I am one of those guys that needs a mid launch, mid spin to get the most out of a driver. I wish i could make it down to the THP Outing but it will probably be another year before I can make it to one due to the economy :(

I will definately be checking out the Octane/Octane Tours, 9064LS, 910s and the shafts will be a huge consideration. I think Ping is out of the question though unless I pull my F1 as their shaft offerings are not my cup of tee.

TC thank for that insight, I think you and I have similar swing styles so reading about your experiences with the 910 and the Octane is very helpful to me.

john

edit:
And oh yeah I am a FIRM believer of letting the numbers do the talking

edit two:
TC what are your optimal numbers with a driver? Back in September at a ball fitting and a completely different driver my launch was 14 degrees with 3200 back spin. Current set up I bet my launch is around 8-10 with extremely low backspin and while that might work if I played on salt flats I need to find some middle ground.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for all the great info.

This is exactly why I like this community because Tour Exotics were not even on my radar (thanks for that link.) The 910s look great but my efforts to combat backspin led me in the wrong direction and I am one of those guys that needs a mid launch, mid spin to get the most out of a driver. I wish i could make it down to the THP Outing but it will probably be another year before I can make it to one due to the economy :(

I will definately be checking out the Octane/Octane Tours, 9064LS, 910s and the shafts will be a huge consideration. I think Ping is out of the question though unless I pull my F1 as their shaft offerings are not my cup of tee.

TC thank for that insight, I think you and I have similar swing styles so reading about your experiences with the 910 and the Octane is very helpful to me.

john

edit:
And oh yeah I am a FIRM believer of letting the numbers do the talking

edit two:
TC what are your optimal numbers with a driver? Back in September at a ball fitting and a completely different driver my launch was 14 degrees with 3200 back spin. Current set up I bet my launch is around 8-10 with extremely low backspin and while that might work if I played on salt flats I need to find some middle ground.

Ha! Interestingly enough, with the octane tour I was seeing an avg launch angle of 14.2*, avg of 3100 spin, but best of all, an average SS of 111 mph! It was about 7mph faster with that driver than many of the others. It blew me away!

Ha! Interestingly enough, with the octane tour I was seeing an avg launch angle of 14.2*, avg of 3100 spin, but best of all, an average SS of 111 mph! It was about 7mph faster with that driver than many of the others. It blew me away!

That is pretty funny. My numbers there were with a Ft-9 with a reg made for fuji. I think I am going to have to take a really close look at the Octane and Octane Tour.

What a huge let down :bad: I am sure that it was magnified by me being on the verge of getting sick but wow do the employees at GG in Roseville have me mad. They literally walked around asking me if everything was ok over and over again but when I tried talking to them about clubs their eyes glossed over.

I hit just about everything in their preowned section on a moniter that was about as accurate as judging how fast my car is going by sticking my head out of the window. I am far from a big swinger but I know for sure my SS is over 92 mph. I carry about 240 on average and that is physically impossible to do with a 92 mph swing speed. This lm in all of it's glory was spitting out SS of 92 carry of 260 and was rolling another 20. Something smells fishy in Denmark.

Now to hitting brand new clubs. I could hit just about anything that I wanted but the "salesmen" were so lazy that they did not seem to even want me in the store. Don't get me wrong I do not mind being left to my own devices but having to hunt one down because for whatever reason they didn't want me taping the heads myself got old very fast. It is not like the store was even busy they were sitting around in another bay hacking away. Normally I don't judge people by what their swing looks like but you would think that someone who works in a golf store and apparently spends most of their time there in a hitting bay would at least have some clue how to hit a golf ball without coming over the top, hitting outside in and flipping the club at contact like an spastic monkey on crack.

Back to the taping of the heads, I am fine with stores using protective tape on heads but I do not see the value of using extra wide masking tape and wrapping the WHOLE face with it.

Crap, sorry for the rant but after all this along with the prices on their preowned drivers I am steamed. I should have taken a picture but they had an R9 SuperTri (non tp) that was trashed for $221 and very used G15s for the same price.

On to my findings,

The Octane and Octane Tour seem like really nice drivers although the shafts seem light on the px scale by at least a full point. I tried the 6.0s and they were so tip soft that I couldn't help but launch the ball higher than Richard Pryor trying to light himself on fire. I wish I could comment on the club but due to the masking tape condom of doom it felt I was swinging a Superfast on a wet noodle in a paper bag.

I did not swing a 9064ls because they only had them in the gamma version and I knew that would not be what I was looking for.

The R9 supertri was pretty sweet but they did not have a wrench handy for me to really dig into it and the demo was set in NU (nuetral upright.) Slight draw set up..... gag me with the masking tape condom of doom.

The only positive thing was that they had a rack of Titleist 909 D3s on discount. Priced at 199 plus a 25% discount. They had a 909 D2 in there with a stiff voodoo in it and if the salesmen had not mummified the head with masking tape I probably would have liked it and walked out of the store with it.

So now I still have a GG gift certificate that I don't really even want to use. I am tempted to go back and snag the 909 D2 but I almost do not even want to spend my hard earned money in their store but that will only put me out the gift certificate......

Sorry again for the rant, I thought this would help but I have grown even more livid about this even after the 2.5 hour car ride home in traffic.

Has anyone tried out Shaving their Drivers face, Im curious about the results, I know it makes the club non-conforming, but Im no pro lol. If the results are as good as they say, I could shave my G10 and it would be like a new driver. But really interested in hearing about some people who have tried this out.

What a huge let down :bad: I am sure that it was magnified by me being on the verge of getting sick but wow do the employees at GG in Roseville have me mad. They literally walked around asking me if everything was ok over and over again but when I tried talking to them about clubs their eyes glossed over.

I hit just about everything in their preowned section on a moniter that was about as accurate as judging how fast my car is going by sticking my head out of the window. I am far from a big swinger but I know for sure my SS is over 92 mph. I carry about 240 on average and that is physically impossible to do with a 92 mph swing speed. This lm in all of it's glory was spitting out SS of 92 carry of 260 and was rolling another 20. Something smells fishy in Denmark.

Now to hitting brand new clubs. I could hit just about anything that I wanted but the "salesmen" were so lazy that they did not seem to even want me in the store. Don't get me wrong I do not mind being left to my own devices but having to hunt one down because for whatever reason they didn't want me taping the heads myself got old very fast. It is not like the store was even busy they were sitting around in another bay hacking away. Normally I don't judge people by what their swing looks like but you would think that someone who works in a golf store and apparently spends most of their time there in a hitting bay would at least have some clue how to hit a golf ball without coming over the top, hitting outside in and flipping the club at contact like an spastic monkey on crack.

Back to the taping of the heads, I am fine with stores using protective tape on heads but I do not see the value of using extra wide masking tape and wrapping the WHOLE face with it.

Crap, sorry for the rant but after all this along with the prices on their preowned drivers I am steamed. I should have taken a picture but they had an R9 SuperTri (non tp) that was trashed for $221 and very used G15s for the same price.

On to my findings,

The Octane and Octane Tour seem like really nice drivers although the shafts seem light on the px scale by at least a full point. I tried the 6.0s and they were so tip soft that I couldn't help but launch the ball higher than Richard Pryor trying to light himself on fire. I wish I could comment on the club but due to the masking tape condom of doom it felt I was swinging a Superfast on a wet noodle in a paper bag.

I did not swing a 9064ls because they only had them in the gamma version and I knew that would not be what I was looking for.

The R9 supertri was pretty sweet but they did not have a wrench handy for me to really dig into it and the demo was set in NU (nuetral upright.) Slight draw set up..... gag me with the masking tape condom of doom.

The only positive thing was that they had a rack of Titleist 909 D3s on discount. Priced at 199 plus a 25% discount. They had a 909 D2 in there with a stiff voodoo in it and if the salesmen had not mummified the head with masking tape I probably would have liked it and walked out of the store with it.

So now I still have a GG gift certificate that I don't really even want to use. I am tempted to go back and snag the 909 D2 but I almost do not even want to spend my hard earned money in their store but that will only put me out the gift certificate......

Sorry again for the rant, I thought this would help but I have grown even more livid about this even after the 2.5 hour car ride home in traffic.

man, sorry you had such a rotten experience. i usually find the same sort of treatment at most places i go to that are the big box store type of place. i like to visit my local golfusa for the simple reason that the owner is always there, he's a certified teaching professional and he knows what he's doing. he doesn't let you just knock clubs around though. if you want a driver fitting, it costs $30 but that comes off the price of whatever it is you decide to purchase. it's a smart policy and keeps people from doing their buying elsewhere. maybe you should look into something that's privately owned, where you may get better attention, but then again, that doesn't help your gift card problem. i've sold gift cards before in the past though to combat that. for example, offer a $100 gift card for $95 and see if you can get any nibbles that way.

Back