What is a Club Champion Driver Fitting Like?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We get asked quite often about being fit for a driver. How much can it help a golfer? Are gains real? We decided to go to the largest premium fitter, Club Champion and instead of having them explain what a fitting could do, we had them perform one.

@golfunfiltered was our golfer and he went through the full fitting at the Club Champion location in Willowbrook, IL. While we sped up the video to keep you from having to sit through all of his swings, this is a Club Champion fitting in full. Nick Sherburne, founder of Club Champion and Dean of CCU, walks through every aspect of both fitting and distance to make it easy to understand.

Have you been fit at Club Champion before? If you haven't, what are your thoughts after watching Adam go through his own fitting? More inclined? Less inclined? We want to hear from you.

Thanks for this! Definitely makes me want to go get fit- more distance, increased dispersion, what isn’t there to like?!

Had never seen such a thorough CC fitting. Nick really dialed in Adam. Interesting how specific he was with the setup in terms of weight, length, etc.

My fitting wasn’t with Club Champion but my fitter, Scott Felix, was as detailed. The conversation with him and explanation of what was happening throughout the process were an amazing learning experience.

Look at that TPT doing work ;)

Excellent video. The amount of detail evaluated and discussed is very impressive and easy to understand with the way Nick presented it.

That's such a great video!

• Admin
That's such a great video!

Thank you. We really wanted to show what a good fitting was about and the amount of info that existed. Along with having Nick explain what that info meant. Shout out to @golfunfiltered again, because he helped me out in a tough spot.

Many thanks to @JB for the invite. The best part of the fitting experience for me was the Blueberry Hill breakfast beforehand. Also, I need to make better pants/shirt color combo choices.

In all seriousness, this was the second fitting I've received from Club Champion and both were excellent. Nick is a great guy, super informative, and really took the time to understand my preferences and game improvement opportunities. Highly recommend CC.

Our podcast listeners probably remember a recent episode where we talked about the end product of this fitting. At the end of the day, the driver/shaft combo I was fit to could retail nearly $1000. The results were undeniable... my game would have benefited from this club. But are consumers willing to make that investment into themselves?

It's not an easy answer.

Many thanks to @JB for the invite. The best part of the fitting experience for me was the Blueberry Hill breakfast beforehand. Also, I need to make better pants/shirt color combo choices.

In all seriousness, this was the second fitting I've received from Club Champion and both were excellent. Nick is a great guy, super informative, and really took the time to understand my preferences and game improvement opportunities. Highly recommend CC.

Our podcast listeners probably remember a recent episode where we talked about the end product of this fitting. At the end of the day, the driver/shaft combo I was fit to could retail nearly $1000. The results were undeniable... my game would have benefited from this club. But are consumers willing to make that investment into themselves?

It's not an easy answer.
I think its always going to be the most difficult to answer. For some, the change is easily quantifiable, and I would argue 90% going to Club Champion know whats coming $$$ wise so they are either prepared to spend...or prepared to find the pieces and do it themselves.

I know Nick talks about the find and build vs them doing it, but for how much you can save sometimes, its hard to beat that option.

I know Nick talks about the find and build vs them doing it, but for how much you can save sometimes, its hard to beat that option.

It is, and we will have more coming on this next part soon, but I am 100% scared of shaft pulls.
I watched a recent test done at a shaft company that showed how bad some of them are, and just by looks, i would have thought totally normal. How much changed due to too much heat, not pulling correctly, etc was pretty crazy.

I remember that episode and wondering what kind of driver would run almost a grand. I assumed it was some sort of ultra-premium model.

I hadn't heard of the TPT shaft until I watched the video. When I looked it up, I got a little sticker shock. The prices I saw would get you to a $1K real quick.

I remember that episode and wondering what kind of driver would run almost a grand. I assumed it was some sort of ultra-premium model.

I hadn't heard of the TPT shaft until I watched the video. When I looked it up, I got a little sticker shock. The prices I saw would get you to a $1K real quick.

Correct. In this case, I believe the ACCRA was very close. Very close would bring the cost down a bit too.

The frustrating thing is that EXACT TPT shaft was in my arsenal at one point a couple years ago. It's currently at a friend's house. I might have to break in and grab it.

It is, and we will have more coming on this next part soon, but I am 100% scared of shaft pulls.
I watched a recent test done at a shaft company that showed how bad some of them are, and just by looks, i would have thought totally normal. How much changed due to too much heat, not pulling correctly, etc was pretty crazy.
I agree with this on pulls, I only buy from VERY few when it comes to pulls and its because I know how they operate. I think the issue for places like CC fighting that though is with adapters on drivers in particular, you don't have to hunt for pulls as much, if at all.

I look forward to more, I firmly believe in what CC does and offers, but its a hard battle for them to overcome at times I'm sure.

Yeah, they've come down to 499 now which is half of what they initially were, talk about a shock then.

Fun review on the homepage on TPT too if you're curious!

BTW, I enjoyed the video this morning. I'm a Nick fan, dude is smooooooooooooooth and drops knowledge with ease.

Thank you. We really wanted to show what a good fitting was about and the amount of info that existed. Along with having Nick explain what that info meant. Shout out to @golfunfiltered again, because he helped me out in a tough spot.

Thanks. As someone who is possibly considering a driver fitting in my future, I find this to be extremely helpful.

The frustrating thing is that EXACT TPT shaft was in my arsenal at one point a couple years ago. It's currently at a friend's house. I might have to break in and grab it.
The numbers don't lie!

Great video, very informative, and does a good job of showing the Club Champion process.

I had a driver fitting at a Club Champion almost a year ago, and although I still think it was a great experience, I would change my level of involvement if I were to do it again. I went in with the idea that I would let them do their process, and I tried to ignore brands, models, appearance, etc, just let the fitter do his thing, and go with the numbers. I was pretty pleased with the process too, until I got home and received all the data via email and really reviewed the details. Lets just say the data didn't really confirm some of what the fitter was telling me, and I honestly blame myself for not being more attentive to some of the details, and for not asking more questions during the process.

Exactly how my fitting went. If you go to one of these which I highly recommend, you better be ready to hit some balls! Its a workout!

The video and fitting experience was awesome. I've done a fitting there in the past and the process was very similar but without the same level of information, which may have been my fitter or may have been the fact that Nick was doing this in front of a camera.

The process, experience and results are undeniable. As others have mentioned it just comes down to cost. You could make a case for a $1,000 driver if you were dead set on playing it the next few seasons without tinkering.

Definitely interesting! Really expensive shaft! I think I would like to be fit by them but I have a basic question. TPT, the manufacturer, states that Puring is not required for their shafts and doesn't give you any benefits but he seems to think differently. How do you know which is correct?

We got a CC here this year and I've just been trying to fit time in to get the bag fitted out.

Back