What is Holding You Back?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What part of the game or anything really is holding you back from that next threshold being passed? It could be breaking 100, breaking 80, shooting par or even just doing one facet of the game better as a whole.

short game. that is the focus next year. missing a green is a guaranteed bogey or worse right now. gotta fix that if i want to improve.

Life.. It is sucking up my time to be able to practice with anything the resembles regularity.

Lessons.

My body. A lot of golf things can be overcome through dedicated effort, but a body can set some pretty hard limitations. My wedge game took a small hit recently because I just couldn't actually stand comfortably in my proper position over the ball. Had an effect, and there wasn't a whole lot I could do about it. I hate that.

There's no question on this one where I'm concerned: Poor swing mechanics leading to a poor, erratic swing. Going to work on that over the winter--starting with getting back to the gym and getting fit again.

A fitting. sigh..
Really need to nail down a putting grip.
And a head change, I get so wrapped up in something and lose focus of everything else. Irons have an absolute stranglehold on me right now..

I feel like the answer could always be short game, but I will say my long game off the tee.

I’d say it’s putting, although there other are other correct answers. 2021 is the year of the made putt.

My lower back :)

True answer is my short game, but for now its my lower back that is keeping me from playing to my true HC.

My golf swing.

I need Professional instruction badly. I have my first lesson booked for Saturday 9am!

If I'm brutally honest with myself, it's commitment.

My gut response was "Time" but I find time for lots of other things I want/need/have to do. I have decided that certain other things have to take priority. That said, I decided to take more time this year to work on my game. I played more. I really looked at my swing and worked on some fundamentals. Same with my putting and course management. The results showed in my handicap at an all-time low. I think there are more gains to be had from these changes, but I also think there are the last of the low-hanging fruit. Pretty soon the gains to get me to the mid-80s or lower are going to take a lot more work.

A little bit of everything, depends on the day. Honestly I wish there was one thing in particular to focus on. Before this year it absolutely would have been my short game but I improved that immensely. Just going to try to make everything a little bit better to take that next step

2 things are just killing me.

irons- all of them. i use to hit my irons well but this year has been a struggle
putting- i recently changed putters, so i'm hoping this might help some, give me some confidence

GIR is really killing me, getting more GIRs would really improve my scores

Approach game from 120-160 yards. I need to hit more greens. According to Arccos I'm only hitting 40% of greens from those distances. And that's from the fairway.

Iron play, I like the distance and accuracy of my 7, 8, 9 and wedges..
I need more consistency from my 4, 5, and 6 irons.
PreCovid took lessons which helped but they are very inconsistent..

Penalty strokes off the tee. Need more consistency.

Consistency in my short game, specifically putting and inside 90yds on short approach shots. Needs tightened up. If I get those two under more control......look out

Consistent putting. I get close to breaking 80 sometimes, but there's always a handful of putts that ruin the round for me.

This year the biggest issue was health issues but game wise my driving was pretty terrible. I was losing way to many strokes off the tee which killed my rounds.

Back