What is something that a playing partner/golf buddy does that irks/annoys you?

With all these replies of what little quirks people do ... makes me realize why I don't watch people. I turn away and don't watch their technique very often ... I just wait for the sound of the ball at impact just so I can watch the ball flight.

Invariably, somebody will pull the cart too close to where you are hitting, so close you worry your club will hit the cart going back of on the follow through. I always like the cart in front of me while I am taking the shot, not behind my back.

I have a buddy of mine that routinely uses a tee as a ball mark on the green. Drives me crazy. Even when it's nowhere in my line, I can still see it and I lose my train of thought during my putting routine.

maybe it's like rounders, "if you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker." there is nothing anybody i play with regularly does that bothers me, so maybe that means I'M the one who bothers everybody else lol
I identify with this

One of the players in my foursome constantly complains about everything and is very pessimistic. I can't remember him ever having a positive or optimistic attitude about anything. The other two players in my four some and myself try our best to ignore him. Thank God he doesn't ride in the same cart with me.

I am thinking that phenom4hire is just compiling a list of stuff for when he plays with us.

Both of the guys I play with regularly have their "quirks". One can hit it a pretty good distance for his age, 77, but hits it beyond his ability to see whee it finishes. If I don't pay particular attention to where he hits it we are constantly looking for his ball because he has no idea or concept of just how far or off line he can hit it. The other has this pre-shot routine that involves taking 2-3 waggles behind the ball, 2-3 waggles aside the ball, and usually two waggles over the ball. All I can hear in my brain is, "Just hit the ball." :)

used to play with a guy the could not stay still, always walking around tee box swinging his club or he would stand behind the hole when you were putting and be jingling coins in his pocket or twirling his putter, I finally told him to move or I would not putt.

I'm sure we all have quirks, but one of my buddies insists on waiting for their "turn" to shoot. I enjoy playing "ready golf" and enjoy playing at a good pace so it gets frustrating.

Consistently hits it 30 to 40 yards past me!!!

I play with a guy regularly who leaves the cart and walks to his ball and then decides he needs a different club and walks all the way back to the cart and rather than take the cart, decides to walk back to the ball to hit it. He does it easily 6-10 times EVERY round. My favorite is when he has a chip near the other side of the green, and he never brings his putter with him.

Just annoys me as were constantly putting out of turn as he is hiking back to the cart....

I play with a guy who steps right behind his ball to flatten out the turf on every iron shot....drives me nuts.

Don't play with this guy much as work gets in the way. Nice guy. But flat out refuses to deal with the pin. Putts out first, he will walk to the cart and get a cig, text, whatever. Never have once seen him out the flag back in the hole, tend it. I've had to walk 20ft pull the flag for me to putt while he stands 5ft from the hole.

I have a buddy who refuses to park the cart on the exit side of the green, It probably doesn't add much time to the round but it annoys the crap out of me to have to walk backwards....

Showing up late or at the tee time. I have only 1 buddy that does it. Recently we've been teeing off right on time and letting him catch us on the first fairway or 2nd tee.

One of my buddies has gotten super negative in recent rounds. Last year was the first year he played consistently and he improved a lot, and has had some good rounds this year, but when things go against him he becomes a well, whiny b$*%&.

If he hits a good drive and you comment on it (nice drive or something of that like) he will make a way to go negative ("it will probably run into the rough, or too bad I will skull my next shot") that makes it so you don't even want to engage with him.

He is an old buddy, but the fact that he never sets up the rounds/tee times (and always expects others to have it set up for him) and always mooches cigars is making it so I don't enjoy playing with him much anymore. I made a comment about his attitude after one of our most recent rounds when he chucked a wedge out of a sand bunker so hopefully it improves soon.

I used to play all the time with a guy at work that was a chain smoker. My issue was not the smoking, but him dropping and leaving cigarette butts anywhere. For awhile I would bark at him about it and force him to pick them up. I finally got tired of complaining about his habit, so I just started picking them up myself and dropping them in the top of his bag. This went on for almost 3 months, until a butt stuck to the end of his driver when he pulled it out. He knew right away where it came from and boy was he pissed ! I couldn't stop laughing until he dumped the whole bag out right there on the tee box and 25 or 30 butts fell out. I chastised him again for dropping butts, but then helped him pick them up and put them in the garbage can.

I always told him "I don't crap on your living room carpet, so don't drop your butts on my golf course".
He hated that line and his reaction always brought a smile to my face.

I play with a guy who steps right behind his ball to flatten out the turf on every iron shot....drives me nuts.

Call him out on it as a penalty if he's doing that any other place than a tee shot...

I like all music but when my buddy and I are in the cart and he brings his Bluetooth speaker(which we play quietly) he rightfully controls the music. Without fail he is nice enough to say what type of music do you want to hear and I can reply any variety such as Alice in Chains, Def Leppard, The Stones or Chris Stapleton. By song 2 of my choice he always changes it to some form of Johnny Cash for the rest of the round. I like that too and I have called him out for doing this while laughing but he seems to be oblivious to anything else but Johnny Cash. He's a great guy so putting up with this is not difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't play with this guy much as work gets in the way. Nice guy. But flat out refuses to deal with the pin. Putts out first, he will walk to the cart and get a cig, text, whatever. Never have once seen him out the flag back in the hole, tend it. I've had to walk 20ft pull the flag for me to putt while he stands 5ft from the hole.
Next time. Randomly ask him, how much a flagstick weighs.

He'll probably say "I don't know"

Reply with "well if you pick one up every now and then you might find out"

I did that once and it worked.

We have one 24 handicapper in our skins group that lets everyone on the course know if he gets a point (bucket mouth). He is also a club throwing idiot. We call him the "Village Idiot"...........

One of my regular partners talks during my backswing. Doesn't matter if he's been told not to...he still does it. He talks during everyone backswing. Nice guy but drives me nuts!

One of my buddies is a solid golfer, who can still smash a ball, but all I hear abous how that when he was younger, he would have hit that drive over the hazard/bunker/Eiffel Tower.

I'm always responding with an "age" remark.

(Former) playing partner had an annoying knack of showing up a few minutes late for our tee time but always had his store bought sack of food under arm.

Always late but always time to stop for the sack of trash. Myriad of other reasons but that was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak.

Back