What is the primary reason for slow play?

What is the primary reason for slow play?

• Golfers who aren’t ready to play on the course

Votes: 189 58.5%
  • Playing tees too long

Votes: 105 32.5%
  • Golf technology - lasering the pin on every shot

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Personal technology - cell phones are the devil

Votes: 38 11.8%
  • That 5th practice swing

Votes: 143 44.3%
  • Reading putts from 360° and using a protractor

Votes: 118 36.5%
  • Tee times only 8 minutes apart

Votes: 148 45.8%
  • Alcohol

Votes: 63 19.5%

• Total voters
New Reason for Slow Play
Tuesday we finished holing out on the 16th green and head over to the 17th tee. You have to cross over a bridge that goes over a pond and then make an immediate left that takes you by the right side of the tee box. Just before we get to the bridge a woman jogger appears runs across the bridge and then goes straight right in front of the tee box. One guy in the group ahead of us was just about to tee off. Thankfully, one of the other players saw her and got the attention of the player on the tee just in time. They were so caught off guard that they said nothing to her. Just waited until she jogged the length of this par 3 and right toward the 18th.

What an odd sight. She didn't seem to even notice they were there.

We thought that would be it. The group finished teeing off. We took the tee and waited for them to finish the hole. As my playing partner set up to the ball--here she comes again. Right in front of the tee box as unaware as before. We call out to her and get her to stop. No one even told her she couldn't jog there. Only that she could get hurt and needed to be aware. Nevertheless, her answer was "this is a public park" and starts off. We call to her again and she briefly stops. We reiterate that we're only concerned about her safety. She can get hurt. She turns and starts jogging away.

We of course have to wait like the first group.

I was already on the phone to the pro shop. They sent someone out who kicked her off the course.

No, I don't mean to say that this is is a major cause of slow play. It just was yesterday. I thought it might make your eyes roll or give you a chuckle. I hope it did.

Last edited:
I think all of those reasons contribute to slow play. If a multiple of those apply to a single group it will slow it down for everyone out there that day.

I tend to agree as to a combination of factors. The one I will highlight is the inability to embrace a concept of ready golf. I’m thinking the guy who insists that the player who is away is the one who has to play (going as far as to measure by walking it off ) and who waits until it is his turn before he begins his deliberate pre shot routine.

I tend to agree as to a combination of factors. The one I will highlight is the inability to embrace a concept of ready golf. I’m thinking the guy who insists that the player who is away is the one who has to play (going as far as to measure by walking it off ) and who waits until it is his turn before he begins his deliberate pre shot routine.
Agreed. There are 2 reasons for the whoever is furthest away plays 1st rule. (1) To not distraction the golfer who is further away, i.e., a matter of respect, and (2) safety. If you're closer and by playing ready golf neither reason is violated, then play away.

Have the same two guys. We do everything to split them up. We have 6 to 8 each time out and get them each in different group.
A league that plays at our course has one foursome that is excruciatingly slow and they always play together. Their league organizer always sends them off last, and if you get stuck behind them you're in for a looong round. They'll lose 2 holes to the rest of their group within the first four, and finish an hour (or more!) after the next foursome in their league.

We skipped around them one day, finished our round and went upstairs to the restaurant to have lunch. The rest of their league was in there eating and drinking, and that last foursome finally walked in right as all their buddies were finishing lunch and paying their tabs.

I think the number one reason is... I have yet to see a golfer that admits to being a slow player. Until you admit you are part of the problem, you cannot be part of the solution.

Fear.

I think the number one reason is... I have yet to see a golfer that admits to being a slow player. Until you admit you are part of the problem, you cannot be part of the solution.
Totally agree!.....Plus, most slow players do not know that they're slow, they need to be told. They see guys on television and try to emulate those players, the only problem is that those guys are on the green in two and my golfing buddies are on the green in five...LOL!

I would add one more option, people trying to find balls in the weeds and out-of-bounds areas.

Not sure why people can't just make sure they keep up with the group in front of them. If we start to fall behind the group ahead of us, I will let the guys I am playing with know we need to pick it up a bit. Just seems like common courtesy

Either not knowing golf etiquette or not caring about it. Self-absorbed individuals who try to emulate the pga players.

I’m using “on the bumper” figuratively, but in my mind there’s value in staying on the tail of the group in front of you even if there isn’t an opening ahead of them. It’ll at least keep them moving at the best pace they can (assuming they care). To be clear, I don’t mean pulling up beside people or giving them the business...just playing my shots as soon as I can and making sure they know we’re back there.
As someone who works at a course this is what you need to do. If they are truly slow and I can see you riding them I will either force them to let you go ahead of them or have them skip a hole.

Today we were a threesome, we ended up behind a foursome that was playing at a pace slightly slower than a glacier, and didn’t seem to have any intention of letting us play through. We skipped hole 3 and went to #4 to get around them, and on hole 5 we caught up with a young guy who was playing with his girlfriend. She was obviously new to the game, and he looked like about a 40 handicap and was giving her lessons on the course. They finally let us through on hole 7, and it was smooth sailing from there. We finished in 2:58.

To give you an idea of how slow the foursome was - holes #2 and #3 are both par 3s - we teed off on #2 after they cleared the green and were heading for the third tee box (which is only about 50 yards away). I was in the water and had to drop, one of us was on the green, and one had to chip on. We finished the hole, and as we were driving to the #3 tee box, they were just leaving it. 🙄

All I know is when we play we are always waiting on the group in front of us. Usually because they are not ready to hit of think they can reach the green from over 200 yards and they hit there drives less than 200 yards. We play ready golf and have never had a group behind us waiting unless we are held up by the group in front of us. We recently went to 10 minute tee times and so far nothing has changed. The only way we can speed up play is if every group keeps up with the group in front of them.

The only way we can speed up play is if every group keeps up with the group in front of them.

The traditional rule of course etiquette is that if there is a hole open ahead the offending group should stand aside and let subsequent group (s) play thru.

The traditionaI rule of course etiquette is that if there is a hole open ahead the offending group should stand aside and let subsequent group (s) play thru.

Unfortunately that usually slows down play as well. The slow group needs to be sped up by a Marshal. Most courses don't usually have enough of them to do any good.

I would add one more option, people trying to find balls in the weeds and out-of-bounds areas.

I have to admit that I’ve actually stopped playing with co-workers and even a neighbor in the past for this exact reason... (not that I’m a great golfer or feel better then anyone) but if the ball was hit far left or right way OB and in the woods... why even bother looking, either hit another 1 or drop and add a stroke from where you last saw it cross OB....

Unfortunately that usually slows down play as well. The slow group needs to be sped up by a Marshal. Most courses don't usually have enough of them to do any good.
There is no good reason that a group stepping aside and let others play thru should slow up pace of play.
If the group does want to allow others to play thru they should pick up their golf ball (s) and move themselves into position directly behind the group ahead of them.
If they again fall one hole behind they should again pick up their golf balls and get in position directly behind the group ahead of them.
The above is traditional golf etiquette that has worked well for 100 years.

The faster players are only fast compared to the slow group. The slow group is holding up play on the course. The groups can only play at a normal pace if they are all playing at a normal pace. EI 4 to 4 1/2 hours. With slow play it becomes 5 hours or more.

If you are playing on the weekend, in season, I never expect any round of golf being under 4 hours. It's just not going to happen. Now in off hour rounds, and out of season rounds, maybe, but in the busy time of the year when it is nice weather, don't expect to play under four hours. If you do you will be disappointed 99% of the time.

The fastest groups do not dictate the acceptable pace of play.
In theory, I agree. In all practicality, I don't. Kind of like being on the highway. The speed limit is 65. If you're in the left lane and someone is going faster than you, regardless if it's over the speed limit or not, most let them pass.

There is no good reason that a group stepping aside and let others play thru should slow up pace of play.
If the group does want to allow others to play thru they should pick up their golf ball (s) and move themselves into position directly behind the group ahead of them.
If they again fall one hole behind they should again pick up their golf balls and get in position directly behind the group ahead of them.
The above is traditional golf etiquette that has worked well for 100 years.
He is right when it is busy as there is normally more then 1 group behind. If a group is that slow they are normally asked to skip a hole or given a rain check. Keep in mind this is if they are actually slower, by a good amount then stated pace of play. Not that they are on a 4 hour 5 minute pace and the groups behind can play in 3.5 hours

The biggest two I see are looking for lost balls and groups going to each ball instead of their individual ball.

Today we had a group with two beginners. A lefty that sent everything left and a righty that sent everything right. We waited frequently. When we walked off 18 green I looked at my watch, 4:10. What feels slow isn’t always as slow as I think

Back