What is Your Ugly Club Threshold?

There's so many clubs that I dislike due their looks, but I suppose it's different for everyone.

I don't like:

Nike SQ (the horrid square thing...)
TM R15
Bio Cell irons
Big Bertha Alpha (the older one is worse)

I like:
910-915 lines
Nike Coverts
R11
Blades & Cavity backs..

I dislike generally all huge "Spaceship Enterprise" type spider putters :D

Other than alignment aids, any crown graphics on woods are ugly to me. As others have mentioned, there are far too many putters to list that fall on the wrong side of the ugly threshold to me.

Same as Sox fan, I am not feeling crown graphics at all. I simple dot or arrow is perfect for me. For putters I only use mallets I know they are big and bulky but I guess it's much like picking a dog. I am a big fat guy who I like big clubs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eww.

Those are fugly

Yeah they are but they work so well that there's nothing that's been able to knock them out of the bag.

I hit them the best of pretty much any of my clubs and I can use them from the tee box, the fairway, the rough and even out of fairway bunkers. The fact that they work so well almost make them look good to me.

Yeah they are but they work so well that there's nothing that's been able to knock them out of the bag.

I hit them the best of pretty much any of my clubs and I can use them from the tee box, the fairway, the rough and even out of fairway bunkers. The fact that they work so well almost make them look good to me.

If they work, they work. Game em!

Absolutely stupid easy to hit though. Had one of these.

Me too. Couldn't hit it straight.

I don't hit anything straight though.

Me too. Couldn't hit it straight.

I don't hit anything straight though.

Fairways and hybrids I think are the most personal clubs. They tend to just click or not for people.

I was never into the square driver movement and I thought that the white crown+graphics would bother me, but I play RBZ2 woods and hybrid. Mallet putters work better for me and I kinda like the space station on a cell tower look. I have a 2-ball in the bag so nothing too wild for me. :smile:

Agreed with that.

I need to remember this next time I want to get rid of a fairway that's been working for me.

I think that's one of my favorite things here - seeing things that were absolutely TERRIBLE for me work in the hands of other folks, and vice versa.

For me, this was up there in terms of ugly.

f260099bb6e5f569aeb8727f3825dd00.jpg

High threshold, I've played lots that some people hate (R1, G30 drivers, MT588 irons recently) and demoed lots of ugly stuff that I would have bagged had it worked for me. That said, I'm not much for bright colours like orange or neons.

I don't care how well you hit this. Anything other than a blade or a compact driver is a no go for me. I'm always second guessing myself at address saying "man that's ugly" instead of focusing on the shot at hand
75f8e5e7c909452e9acb214a80f2eaca.jpg

If it goes where I aim it and the distance I want it to, it is not ugly. I don't care what it looks like it will go in the bag.

I never really understood what you guys meant when referring to clubs as being bulky.

Ive been playing some Mizuno irons for about the last 5 months.
For whatever reason, I ended up with a friends Big Bertha iron (probably 5-10 years old) in my hands on the course, and I had my 'ohhhh, now I get it!' moment.

The head on that club was huge! It looked like someone glued a lunch kit to a shaft.

As as far as colors and stuff goes, I really don't care what a club looks like.

I don't care how well you hit this. Anything other than a blade or a compact driver is a no go for me. I'm always second guessing myself at address saying "man that's ugly" instead of focusing on the shot at hand
75f8e5e7c909452e9acb214a80f2eaca.jpg
I stand corrected.
That's hideous.

I don't know if you guys remember the putter that Matt Every used a few years ago on tour but it was hideous. One of my buddies gamed one and it looked like a satalite dish on his bag. I think it was called Black Swan.

Looks are very important to me for all my clubs. My ugliest would be my new Callaway XR Pro irons that should arrive Monday. If the top line was any thicker they wouldn't make it into my bag.

cw15-xr-pi-i1.jpg
xr-iron-pro-back-2015-600x427.jpg

It used to be anything that didn't look as lovely and trim as my WS FG-17's. I really don't have a threshold anymore, which is obvious by looking at my sig.

Too many good clubs out to have to play an ugly one but I also play Ping G20''s. The heads are large, the topline is thick the soles are wide and they have alot of offsite but I love them.

I have played with a Odyssey Tri-Ball SRT as well as a Ping Wack-E. My threshold for ugly is higher then most I assume.
This I understand... I have recently thought about trying to find a Ping Doc 17. My threshold is a bit higher as well.

Easily the 3, 4 and 5 irons of the Rocketballz, shocking irons and could not hit them for the life of me! Were they a hybrid or an iron?
c8a8482205f150fd4f675a5c7dbca9f7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't give a tinker's damn what they look like if they work they're in the bag. I play G20 irons and the aformentioned fugly G20 Hybrids. They just plain work and I don't give a damn. I play mallet putters. What I'm looking at don't phase me a bit. If it gets the ball in the hole I don't give a rats behind.

Having said this The VAS irons would make me go HMMMMMM. And I would never, ever ,ever play the Hammer, Poowwwwwws included.

Mark Shuman

They might be ugly, but I hit'em far and I hit'em straight! So they're beautiful in my eyes! Haha

I need to remember this next time I want to get rid of a fairway that's been working for me.

I think that's one of my favorite things here - seeing things that were absolutely TERRIBLE for me work in the hands of other folks, and vice versa.

For me, this was up there in terms of ugly.

f260099bb6e5f569aeb8727f3825dd00.jpg

Back