What makes Project X so "harsh"?

Typhoon

Reaction score
Handicap
Plus side
I've been through the Mizuno optimizer and the project x 6.0, Kbs tour, pxi, Nippon 1150 and dgx100 were spit out. It's winter here in Massachusetts so I'm not out playing. I looked up Wishons profiles on all the shafts.

What I was wondering is what makes the project x so harsh....that's all I hear on forums. I'm starting to think most people have never hit them, they just heard someone say it and they are just repeating it.

According to the profiles, the kbs tour s and x are both stiffer at every point than the project x 6.0. Why does everyone say how smooth the kbs is?? The pxi 6.0 is a touch softer everywhere except the 11 inch mark and people also claim how smooth it is.

I know the pxi is lighter, but the kbs vs project x thing baffles me.

Moved to shaft section.
First thing I would do is try them for yourself because feel is so subjective.
One of the people that helped create the shafts early on has said on video for THP TV that it is because of the step pattern and when he designed KBS it was to make a shaft that performs like that with a smoother feel.

What is harsh?

Last edited:
For me, it's not really that the PX is harsh but rather the KBS is a little smoother. Not really sure how else to describe my experience with them.

JM

I game Project X 5.5's in my irons. I'd never describe them as "harsh". Have been a solid shaft for me. Granted I've never swung KBS so your own feel may be different.

Moved to shaft section.
First thing I would do is try them for yourself because feel is so subjective.
One of the people that helped create the shafts early on has said on video for THP TV that it is because of the step pattern and when he designed KBS it was to make a shaft that performs like that with a smoother feel.

Yep, directly from the man himself.

I agree that Project X feels harsh. Even the graphite shafts to me feel terrible.

And the KBS Tour smoothness is no joke. Their shafts are just amazing on all fronts.

Didn't see the shaft specific forum, sorry bout that. Ok, so it's step pattern on the kbs whereas project x has no steps. I'm looking at the info, both are steel, the smoother one profiles stiffer than the one that is so harsh it injures people....confusing to say the least.

Is the pxi said to be smooth because of weight? There are no steps. I've heard it's just a lighter project x.

In the spring I'll try them all outside. Hitting some inside now and the pxi feels fine, kbs I've hit in the tm heads and just go nowhere. Nippon feels the most lively. I've hit the project x now and then but not for an extended period to see if they hurt. Guess we'll see...

Thanks for the answer on the steps...nice to find someone who actually knows why.

I have a set of irons with PX 6.5s and I have tested most of the top shaft brands. I dont feel like the PX shafts ore overly "harsh" in any way. The KBS C-taper shafts are by far the harshest when compaired to similar flexes

OK, I'll ask.... What exactly does it mean when someone says a shaft is "harsh"? Does it have something to do with the feeling during the swing or contact or some type of vibration?

they don't feel harsh to me

OK, I'll ask.... What exactly does it mean when someone says a shaft is "harsh"? Does it have something to do with the feeling during the swing or contact or some type of vibration?

Most reference it as a lack of kick through the swing, also referred to by some as "boardy". Additionally most link the term to the vibrational feedback which the shaft allows to transfer to the hands, some are more dampening than others in irons.

For me, standard PX iron shafts are without a doubt the harshest I have ever used.

the optimizer kicked out px 6.0 for me and, when I hit it, they felt 'boardy'. Went down to the 5.5's and they feel perfect.

the optimizer kicked out px 6.0 for me and, when I hit it, they felt 'boardy'. Went down to the 5.5's and they feel perfect.

The PX6.0 was the most inconsistent for me. I'm not one for subtle differences in feel...I need a good "slap in the face" like the Nippon 1150 vs. the PX6.0 to feel anything. I do prefer to feel some kick which is probably why the PX was not a fave. The PXI 6.0 feels great and I've hit it outside. Also since I'm leaning toward Nike VPC's in the spring it was great to see how much people liked the combo with the PXI. I hit a customer's PXI 6.5's and they were fine as well. I'll let the fitter sort it out.

Love the Siberian in your avatar btw.. got 3 of them myself.

I've got the 6.0 in my driver and 4 wood. They don't feel harsh to me at all, if anything I think they are little soft and would probably go with the 6.5 or 7. I saw others make refeerence to "boardy", again not my sensation. I used to have a Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue...now THAT felt boardy.

I currently have the UST Recoil 110s in my irons and I LOVE them

I played PX 5.5 for a season and developed some serious elbow and forearm pain during that stretch. I put some shaft dampeners in there and that seemed to help a bit, but man it has me wondering if I'll ever go that direction again. It's too bad too because the shaft profile fit me pretty well.

I've been through the Mizuno optimizer and the project x 6.0, Kbs tour, pxi, Nippon 1150 and dgx100 were spit out. It's winter here in Massachusetts so I'm not out playing. I looked up Wishons profiles on all the shafts.

What I was wondering is what makes the project x so harsh....that's all I hear on forums. I'm starting to think most people have never hit them, they just heard someone say it and they are just repeating it.

According to the profiles, the kbs tour s and x are both stiffer at every point than the project x 6.0. Why does everyone say how smooth the kbs is?? The pxi 6.0 is a touch softer everywhere except the 11 inch mark and people also claim how smooth it is.

I know the pxi is lighter, but the kbs vs project x thing baffles me.

I have the Project X 6.0 95 Flighted in my irons, and harsh isn't what I feel about them. My previous set of irons (Callaway X24s) had a uniflex shaft in them, and it felt too soft. I'm no shaft expert, but the more I read about shaft debates, it seems to be like the Ford Truck v. Chevy Truck arguement. I think that there are a lot of great products out there, and shaft selection is all about personal preference.

I'm not as shaft tech proficient as perhaps I should be, but I never thought Project X was that "harsh." My current irons have Royal Precision 6.0 shafts (predecessor to Project X brand). I have some Project X 6.0 shafts in my basement that I may put in my irons this Spring. It will be interesting to see if they perform or feel any different than what I currently have.

As for KBS shafts, I will say, they feel good to swing. But feel is subjective. What feels good to me may feel awful to another. Given KBS growth the past several years, I would say those people who dislike KBS are few and far between.

~Rock

I game Project X 5.5's in my irons. I'd never describe them as "harsh". Have been a solid shaft for me. Granted I've never swung KBS so your own feel may be different.

Taking a closer look, my shafts are Project X flighted 95 in 5.5. Is that different than just a Project X iron shaft? I know next to nothing about shafts.

I actually like the feel of PX. It's comforting to me for whatever reason. I know most don't agree and that's ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taking a closer look, my shafts are Project X flighted 95 in 5.5. Is that different than just a Project X iron shaft? I know next to nothing about shafts.
Flighted means the bend profile is different throughout the set. Lower in the longer irons to help launch and higher in the short irons to help control the ball flight. At least that is my understanding of flighted shafts.

To me, those feel completely different. I prefer the feel of the KBS Tour over the PX, but I really like the feel of the PX 95 flighted that comes stock in the XHot pro line.

I had 6.0 and they did feel "harsh", and yes "boardy". I went down to 5.5's and they felt better, but still not a very comfortable shaft for some reason. I've had 2 sets of irons with stock shafts since then and they felt much better than the Project X's ever did.

I just did the KBS online fit and they recommended a R+ flex. My driver swing speed is 108 and my 6-iron distance is 176, and though I've never looked to closely at it, I always assumed I was good for "Stiff" with possible trending toward "X".

My next big investment will definitely be optimizing my shafts...

I wouldn't call the PX shafts "harsh". They definitely have a more rigid feel to them. The PXi shaft feels completely different than the original PX shafts, IMO.

Back