What part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes?

As we're heading into the 2015 golf season, I've been thinking a lot, about the game, my game, my goals and just about everything to do with golf. As I think about some of my best rounds and worst rounds I try to think of where I gave the most strokes, so I can practice what needs to be done and turn a weakness into a strength. So I ask, what part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes? Is it ball striking? tee game? short game? putting? mental approach?

For me last year when I played well but didn't score all that well one thing really came to mind, my short game. By short game for me I mean chipping and pitching around the green. Either on the fringe or in the rough just around the green. All too often I would leave myself with a much longer putt for par than I should have. Part of this I blame on never really getting comfortable with a technique. When I first got into the game I would always just try and pretty much flop a chip or pitch and carry it all the way to the hole. I practiced pitching and running the ball and got decent at it for awhile, but never fully got comfortable with bringing it to the course. This year I plan on getting with my teacher once we can get outside to work on a technique that I am comfortable with and can apply to my game. What's causes you to give up the most strokes, and how do you plan to fix it?

It's still putting for me. I got better last year, but I'm still around 34-36 per round. There's quite a few times where I'll shoot 82 and have 38 putts. That'll be something I focus on a lot this year again.

Short game espically when i get in trouble around the green and putting does not save me any strokes

It's still putting for me. I got better last year, but I'm still around 34-36 per round. There's quite a few times where I'll shoot 82 and have 38 putts. That'll be something I focus on a lot this year again.

I'm normally quite happy in the low-80s, unless i'm at/above 36 putts. Then, I know I gave more strokes away. Ugh!

PUTTING. 3 putts will be the death of me

Get yourself a ball tool for drawing a straight line on it. Then when you practice at home only use one ball and use your ball marker and anything else you wear (minus the golf shoes) when you are golfing. Use a yard stick and start at 3ft. I always use something smaller than the ball as my cup. (piece of paper,etc). Go through the whole motion of placing the ball at about 3 foot, mark the ball, pick ball up (like you are going to wipe it off), put the ball down using the line to line up with the hole and before picking up marker step back and verify the line to hole direction, adjust accordingly, pick up marker and align club line with ball line. Now keep your hands, wrists, elbows still and make your drawback and swing with your shoulders only. Keep the clubface square all the way back and through and don't pick up your head to early.

Now repeat the whole process all over again for each and every shot. I do 3 shots then move back to 4ft and do 3 more, then back to 6ft with 3 more. Doing this has helped me get used to the whole process for on the green and help you to become more accurate. Now as to how hard to hit it. Think about if you were to roll the ball by hand how hard do you feel you need to roll it. If it helps use another ball and practice roll with your hand and try to emulate that with your putter.

I am not a teacher so take this info for what it's worth but just wanted to share with you on what I have done that has helped my putting a lot. I was a 3 and 4 putter for quite some time (4 putt on a par 3 when you on green in 1 really urks me). I have gone to some 1 putts, mostly 2 putting with the occasional 3 putt and shaved a ton off my score. Hope it helps.

Putting.

Putting kills me. But not for long!

Back