What part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes?

Short off the tee and long approach shots that lead to lots of missed greens.

Putting is killing me right now ad something I am hoping to approve on in 2015.

Iron shots into greens. Need to hit it closer to be able to have more looks at birdie. Need to find the green to eliminate the possibility of bogey.

Driver accuracy off the tee. It has been my bugaboo for a looong time. However, rather than do something about it, I plan on complaining about it until it gets better. I'll report back on my findings.

Focus and staying consistent in my swing. I know I can hit the ball. I've had plenty of solid shots that lead me to believe it can happen whenever I want it to, but for some reason I lose it and swing wonky and end up topping, chunking, or hitting off the toe.
I hate it. I can hit three really solid shots and reach a long par 5 easy peasy, then turn around and get lazy and double a 150y par 3.

I need to get my second shots under better control. I seem to be either hitting too strong or too weak into the green leaving me long putts or chipping back on. I know it's more of being consistent with each move but my yardage judgement has been off from my club changes, new grips and difference in new shafts in clubs. I would be better off in one way to stick with what I have long enough to see how well I can play them but this Callaway Pre-Owned and a fellow named JB that keeps putting all these new shiny clubs on THP is making me buy new clubs way too often. Really can say the mental aspect of my game has to be improved to the point of remembering what I have to do to stick the shot everytime.

Thanks for that. I do think this is part of my issue. I think I'm too tense worrying about hitting fat or thin.

I was having fits years ago with pitching and a pro told me to use my body rotation to control the shot. It took some practice, but it's so much easier to get great contact with body rotation as opposed to using those hands only!

Without a doubt, short game. I'm confident, if my short game was stronger at the Grandaddy, I wouldn't have lost in my singles match. Granted, I've never go so unlucky with 4 fried egg lies in one round in my life, but still.

At first glance I might have said iron play or short game. But upon a little reflection it has to be mental game - course management, maintaining focus, ability to put badness behind me, etc.

For me it all about the ball striking on mid/long irons. I feel very confident up to about 165 yards and then it wanes.

I'm generally pretty good off the tee and my short game saves my butt regularly. Those stupid mid/long irons...

GIR's for me. My FIR is fairly good, but I need to have a lot more birdie putts.

Long iron shots. Typically long par 3s.

Also, GIR. I tend to not give myself enough birdie putts.

Driving has always been the culprit that kills my scores. I've spent more time in the woods than Paul Bunyan. Recently I went to a senior flex shaft and 12 degree loft and it encourages me to put a smoother move on the ball. I've been driving well lately so maybe I have found a better option for me. Time will tell.

My chipping is the one killer of my game. I practiced a ton last summer on it and still never got it where I wanted it. The rounds where I score really well is only because I hit a lot of greens and never had to chip. If I'm missing greens, it's going to be a long day for me.

My chipping is the one killer of my game. I practiced a ton last summer on it and still never got it where I wanted it. The rounds where I score really well is only because I hit a lot of greens and never had to chip. If I'm missing greens, it's going to be a long day for me.

totally agree with this. if i can hit 10+ greens, i'm threatening to break 80 as long as i don't have a blow-up hole. sometimes i miss greens because of poor driving, but nothing is more frustrating than missing greens from 160y and in. just happens way too often.

Tee game.

When I start steering, its all over.

Driving has always been the culprit that kills my scores. I've spent more time in the woods than Paul Bunyan. Recently I went to a senior flex shaft and 12 degree loft and it encourages me to put a smoother move on the ball. I've been driving well lately so maybe I have found a better option for me. Time will tell.

That made me chuckle. :D

My mental game needs serious work. I can be playing very well, but as soon as something goes wrong the wheels have a tendency to fall off. Or if I'm 6 shots up at the turn, I can fold like a pack of cards and string together a handful of doubles without any problem at all. I can be thrown off concentration very easily, need to learn how to stay in the zone!

You were hitting that G25 well last week !!!!!

What part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes? It sort of depends, for me... Tadashi mentioned his game is basically set-up based on his tee ball. My scoring is driven by that as well. If I'm driving it well, it's unlikely that I'll have to worry about a lot of scrambling or big numbers, and I'll have a decent chance at scoring in the low 80s. But, if I want to go "low", which is sub-80 in my book, I lose shots around, and on, the green.

I made a big change, late in the season, to do nearly all of my greenside chipping with my 5 wood, and that has worked out very well. But, I still need to work on the wedges some, because I can't always use the 5 wood. In addition, I greatly improved my putting last season, but need to do some more work there.

PUTTING. 3 putts will be the death of me

As we're heading into the 2015 golf season, I've been thinking a lot, about the game, my game, my goals and just about everything to do with golf. As I think about some of my best rounds and worst rounds I try to think of where I gave the most strokes, so I can practice what needs to be done and turn a weakness into a strength. So I ask, what part of your game causes you to give up the most strokes? Is it ball striking? tee game? short game? putting? mental approach?

For me last year when I played well but didn't score all that well one thing really came to mind, my short game. By short game for me I mean chipping and pitching around the green. Either on the fringe or in the rough just around the green. All too often I would leave myself with a much longer putt for par than I should have. Part of this I blame on never really getting comfortable with a technique. When I first got into the game I would always just try and pretty much flop a chip or pitch and carry it all the way to the hole. I practiced pitching and running the ball and got decent at it for awhile, but never fully got comfortable with bringing it to the course. This year I plan on getting with my teacher once we can get outside to work on a technique that I am comfortable with and can apply to my game. What's causes you to give up the most strokes, and how do you plan to fix it?

Short game here too. When I score its on. When I don't, it sucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second shot for me is my issue. Long par4 and par5's.

I try to make up distance and then off it goes to the right side. I don't have a lot of distance off the tee (200-225) trying to keep it in the middle. We have a joke that I swing like Betty White but its always down the middle. Chipping's ok and 3 putts are seldom.

Now if I can just keep my head and swing like Betty White with my hybrids I'd lower my scores considerably.

Jim

Back