What required shot makes you the most/least confident standing over?

pingman222

Reaction score
Handicap
Slow Play
As the title says, there's always a shot that you love or hate to hit, so what are they?

For some reason to me, there's just something about an 8i that is perfect. 165 yards from a tight lie and i'll be licking my chops with the 8i in hand. Set up for a small fade that flies high, cuts about 3 yards and lands soft. I feel right at ease when i can have the 8i in hand (surprisingly more than a wedge!)

The shot that tests my confidence however is a driver tee shot to a tight fairway, hazard/forest on the right with a left to right wind (RH player). My miss is a push cut so those specific conditions always get me thinking a bit more.

Is there anything you prefer or really struggle with when it comes to needing a specific shot?

Ball above my feet with my 3W. I either choke down too much and thin it or too little and hit it fat. Irks the crap outta me.

6i from the deck is the shot i dread the most, just don't have confidence in it.

GW from the deck tho is a shot I love! 105 yards out and I am extremely confident in that shot!

6i from the deck is the shot i dread the most, just don't have confidence in it.

GW from the deck tho is a shot I love! 105 yards out and I am extremely confident in that shot!

I find it quite amazing how realistically most iron-swings should be fairly similar, however everyone seems to have an iron they prefer more or less than others. It's really the same club just with a different loft and a longer or shorter shaft! lol

Fairway bunkers are the worst. Then it is fairway wood off the tee. Everything else I am pretty confident with.

Right now, if I'm holding a driver I'm confident. I'm also pretty darn confident the ball is going to be on the green in a decent spot if I'm holding a PW or 50*.

Least confident right now is probably any time I'm holding a 6i or longer on a par 3. I hate long par 3's.

Hate any shot where the ball is above my feet. On the flip side, put the 3W in my hand and I will try any shot.

Least fav is the same as someone previously mentioned....FW when you're on a slope.

Favorite is a chip from the fringe, about 15' from the hole. I've holed 3 of them from that spot during the past 18 holes I've played.

Flop shot over a bunker to a tight pin!!! NO fun!!!

Must hit driver off the tee with a left to right wind. Zero confidence I'll align myself correctly to hit my normal fade, and usually pull the ball into another county.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Least confident: Ball more than a foot below my feet with a short iron.

Most confident: Driver with a small fade around a dog leg right that you can't straight carry over the corner.

mid range bunker shot is my least favorite

favorite is probably 8i to a pin just left of center

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of replies for hating uneven lie shots with the ball above/below the feet. I actually don't mind those at all, a home course i played a couple years at had ridiculously undulating and sloped fairways so basically 2/3 of your shots had some sort of a lie adjustment to take into consideration. You learn to handle those pretty quickly.

Add another one to the bad list, downhill lie shots to an elevated green!

Ball below my feet and downhill with a forced carry

Hate any shot from 40 yards and in over a bunker, tell myself over and over its ok to miss long, bam ball goes in bunker.

Favorite is any shot with the 7 iron. Something about that club just makes me feel confident.

Least: A 50-70 yard bunker shot. Ugh. Don't even care if I have a perfect lie.

Most: 100-115 yard shots. Very confident I will have a good look after that shot.

Ball above my feet with my 3W. I either choke down too much and thin it or too little and hit it fat. Irks the crap outta me.
I won't even try this shot.

I don't know what mine would be, probably trouble right with a stiff left to right wind off the tee.

I love pins tucked behind front left bunkers when I have a wedge in my hand. I have a ton of confidence hitting it 10-15 feet long/right and spinning it in there.

Fairway bunker shots with a lip. No lip and I am fine as wine.

A hard right to left wind on a par 3. I always seem to hit a draw and then the wind just keeps on carrying it and I miss the green by a mile.

Feeling good. 120 yards with 9 or pw

not feeling it. Anything that has to do with sand.

Anything that requires a low fade. I dread that shot. Give me a wedge in hand and I'm thinking birdie.

Favorite: wedge from the fairway
Least favorite: wet sand in greenside bunkers and all fairway bunkers

Worst is a tight fairway, especially with OB on both sides.

Favorite is a PW from 145 in a nice fairway.

Back