What "soft" ball performs best for you? Thank you !

jhd12

Reaction score
Handicap
What "soft" ball performs best for you? Thank you for taking the time to answer!

I’ve really only played Duo. I used one yesterday and thought it played well.

Srixon Q-Star Tour

Duo U or QST for me historically.

Though I admittedly love the Lady Precept as well.

Yep. Q star tour for me. Play the Z star for the most part, but have played the Q some and have nothing really bad to say.

Bridgestone B XS for now, but I may change later in the summer to the R X S

RXS is really good so is QST

Bridgestone e6 soft or Bridgestone TreoSoft

If you consider the Bridgestone Tour B RXS a soft ball, that gets my vote. It is softer than most tour level balls, but not as soft as probably most designated "soft" balls.

Srixon Soft Feels and QSTs.

chromesoft 2020 version is outstanding for me

Q Star Tour and Callaway Supersoft for me. Both great balls.

Q-Star Tour and E12 Soft for me.

I tried a sleeve of Bridgestone "e12 Soft" balls a while back.They were given to me as a promo item. I normally use their e7 ball.

I found them to be quite playable for my slower swing speed. My driver speed is in the low 90s these days.

They flew well off the tee/fairway for me, and the ball certainly didn't hurt my short game at all. I actually was impressed with how I putted this ball.

I also thought the ball checked up a little better than my e7 gamers on chips, and pitches. Then again, perhaps I was just having good run of my short game those rounds.

The e12 Soft ball appeared to play 2-3 yards longer for me. I didn't measure any shots. I was playing a very familiar course, and it just seemed like I was playing from closer areas than I normally do.

I shot 3 rounds in the mid low 80s with these balls. This is slightly better than average for me.

I believe the ball is a 50 compression, but not 100% sure. It's also a 3 piece ball I think.

I will revisit this e12 soft ball again when I run out of my e7s. I bought several dozen e7s during a "close out" sale. I'm set on balls for several months. The covid shut down has me behind schedule....lol

Based on my limited use (54 holes) I'd recommend this e12 Soft ball to anyone wanting to play a softer ball. The ball is definitely worth a try.

Last edited:
I like the Bridgestone e12 soft a lot.

Q Star Tour and Callaway Supersoft for me. Both great balls.

Snowman, could you elaborate a bit on the pros and cons between those two balls? I currently play the cally SS, but have been wondering about the QST ball. If this is considered off topic please do not reply. Thanks.

Snowman, could you elaborate a bit on the pros and cons between those two balls? I currently play the cally SS, but have been wondering about the QST ball. If this is considered off topic please do not reply. Thanks.
The QST feels a bit firmer off the clubface (I notice it most with driver and putter), but not objectionably so - it's not like hitting a rock, just not quite as soft as the Supersoft. I guess because the QST spins more, it also amplifies my swing faults on a really bad swing - a fade can become a hook, and what may have been a playable shot with the Supersoft might not be with the QST. That's the only real con I've noticed with it vs the Supersoft, and it's only on really bad swings.

As far as spin around the greens, I honestly don't notice a big difference most of the time. It could be due to the fact that I'm not a high flight, high-spin player, or it could be due to the fact that we play pretty hard greens that aren't known for holding shots in the first place - or a combination of the two. Several of the guys I regularly play with use top-tier tour balls (ProV1, Z Star, Chromesoft, etc.), and I don't see them zipping the ball back or getting drop and stops either. My short game tends more toward the "bump and run, get it on the ground fast" style rather than firing at pins and trying to get the ball to stick, and the QST performs as well as the Supersoft for that - I don't notice it checking up and leaving me shorter than the Supersoft would.

I like both balls and will gladly play either one of them. I have them both in my bag and will randomly interchange between them during a round. I don't see a decisive advantage to either of them. I bought last year's model for $17.99/dozen, which are cheaper than Supersofts. I'll buy more at that price, but I wouldn't pay $32.99/dozen for the current model - I don't see enough difference to justify the 150% cost over the Supersofts.

The 2020 Chrome Soft works great for me and is much improved over the last version. However, "soft" is a relative, subjective feel and to me it does feel a little firmer than gen 2.

The QST feels a bit firmer off the clubface (I notice it most with driver and putter), but not objectionably so - it's not like hitting a rock, just not quite as soft as the Supersoft. I guess because the QST spins more, it also amplifies my swing faults on a really bad swing - a fade can become a hook, and what may have been a playable shot with the Supersoft might not be with the QST. That's the only real con I've noticed with it vs the Supersoft, and it's only on really bad swings.

As far as spin around the greens, I honestly don't notice a big difference most of the time. It could be due to the fact that I'm not a high flight, high-spin player, or it could be due to the fact that we play pretty hard greens that aren't known for holding shots in the first place - or a combination of the two. Several of the guys I regularly play with use top-tier tour balls (ProV1, Z Star, Chromesoft, etc.), and I don't see them zipping the ball back or getting drop and stops either. My short game tends more toward the "bump and run, get it on the ground fast" style rather than firing at pins and trying to get the ball to stick, and the QST performs as well as the Supersoft for that - I don't notice it checking up and leaving me shorter than the Supersoft would.

I like both balls and will gladly play either one of them. I have them both in my bag and will randomly interchange between them during a round. I don't see a decisive advantage to either of them. I bought last year's model for $17.99/dozen, which are cheaper than Supersofts. I'll buy more at that price, but I wouldn't pay $32.99/dozen for the current model - I don't see enough difference to justify the 150% cost over the Supersofts.
Thanks that helps me decide to pretty much stay with the Supersoft. My game is similar to yours. I play a lot of bump and run shots, but I use a hinge and hold method which puts some spin on the shots.

Depends on my clubs

A Pro V1 for modern clubs has about the right hardness.

When playing hickory shafts the Wilson Duo

Callaway Supersoft and/or Callaway Hex Tour Soft. Played the new Bstone B-RX, great soft impact feel and also great with short shots. Have to play it more to make a decision.

Q-Star Tour would be my choice of ball if soft and price point were major considerations.

I have not tried an RXS yet but assume that will be a solid ball as well.

Back