What Swingweight Do You Play?

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Tell me about your swing weight set up... Heavier wedges? Lighter driver? Same through the set? Why? 😊

Woods are usually D2 to D3
Irons ascend from D3 to D5
Wedges are D6

I plays my irons and wedges overlength so it can be a challenge to get them in those ranges. After a lot of tinkering, I have found that I don't like them higher than that - as it feels like swinging a sledge hammer.

I think I am D2 through the set. I like a lighter feeling club. I didn't select that, it is just the weight I was fit into and that feels the best to me.

Irons are E3 as they are +2-inches, even with a light weight graphite shaft.

Frankly I only know my irons which are D2. I haven't checked my woods or wedges.

I don't know exactly, but I am happy with the feel. I made my own set of irons and had the SW measured and they were about what stock iron weights were, but forgot. I wonder how important swing weight is in relationship to total weight.

Absolutely no idea whatsoever. I play fairly light shafts. That’s about all I know.

Does it make me a non-internet golf if I don't know what any of my swing weights are?

Does it make me a non-internet golf if I don't know what any of my swing weights are?

You're in the majority. Most golfers not only don't know their own swing weight of their clubs, but they also don't know if there is a swing weight they perform best at. This is something that should be looked at during a fitting.

Depends on which clubs I use, but right now:
Drivers C9-D1
Woods D1
Hybrids D1
Irons D2
I think my wedges are D2 as well, but don't remember right now.

I honestly do not know any of my swing weights.

Woods D3, Hybrids D2, Irons D2, Wedges D4, assuming they were built to specs. Only the wedges have standard stock shafts.

No idea what my swing weights are!

D3 throughout

I do not know what my weights are but I will say that this does matter. I am doing a little putter testing right now and have two near identical putters heads from the same manufacture. One Putter swing weights at D1 the other and E2. I find I prefer the much lighter swing weight so I have a new grip and weight kit ordered.

According to the spec sheet for my clubs, my 5W is D3, 5H is D2, irons are all D3, wedges are D4. I've never put them on a swingweight scale to verify, though.

Irons E0
Wedges E1
Woods D5
Hybrid D5

Traditionally I've played all clubs about D4 but I've gone to a D2 the last 5 years and I'm currently experimenting with C-9 at driver to see if I can pick up a bit of speed.

D2 in all except non-set wedges. D3 in wedges.

Whatever the stock swingweight is in most cases. Probably D2 I'm guessing

Wedges and Putter are D5. Everything else is D4.

For the woods and irons I've been transitioning from D2 to D5. The lighter static weight of the D5 clubs (with light weight grips) seems better balanced and easier for me to swing than the D2 clubs (with a relatively heavy grip). So I've been learning about the relevance of static weight vs swing weight and believe lighter static weight may fit best with relatively high swing weight.
* traditionally D0 to D2 swing weight was common for adult male players, but the recent advent of lighter weight components (shafts and grips) makes moving up to D4-D5 swing weight a worthwhile consideration.

Last edited:
I’m a D5 guy

Really depends on the setups but generally

Driver: D2-D5.5
Irons: D2-D4
Wedges: D4-D5.5

Most of my irons are close to D3, wedges closer to D5, and driver really has no typical. Just whatever works for the flights I want, and length plays a role.

Back