What tee shot makes you the most nervous?

When someone lets me play through and strangers are watching me.

If it is an especially narrow landing area tee shot I leave driver within the bag and that helps me relax for the shot, by playing a fairway wood or hybrid instead of driver.

Water directly in front. Even when it is short yardage to carry I tend to hit thin and blade it into the water.

I don’t much care for 230 yard par 3 with water short, OOB long, left, and right. Especially when I don’t have a 230 club in my bag that day.

I also don’t care much for holes like 18 at Firestone north. Par 5 complete dogleg right and you decide how much water carry you wanna cut off. One of two things happen, I hit my best contact ever and pull the ever loving snot out of it leaving me 400 out. Or I block it and it lands with a splash 10 yards from shore.

RH golfer, majority of my shots are some blend of draw hook and pull. Scariest tee shots are dog legs left with water or some other form of death on the inside of the dog leg. Most if my penalties off the tee are on holes like this.

Any driver shot with water or ob right. I don’t mind forced carry but hate a tight out of bounds near my landing zone.

There’s an opening hole on a course near me that is relatively terrifying. Miss left and your ball will lose a few hundred feet of altitude and end up OB down in the valley. Miss right and you’re facing a difficult uphill shot to a steeply raised green with the aforementioned OB long. It’s challenging optically and mentally and I love it!

The tee shot when the group ahead of me let’s us play through.
I have messed up a few of those type drives. I think I hurry because I don't want to hold them up and dis them for letting me play through.

When someone lets me play through and strangers are watching me.
That’s almost guaranteed to yield the worst shot of the day!

First tee! Followed by any hole with trouble right.

Any hole with a group of people watching. Unless I hit an absolute beast of a drive...then I love that tee shot.

Par 3 #2 hole at Birch Hills. It is only about 120 yards but if you don’t “stick the landing” you’re done. It has a false front and drops off severely on all sides. Plus there is a huge bunker on the right. My usual miss is off the back. I either land on or in front of the green. But my low liners don’t hold the green so I end up below the green in back, or worse - across the cart path on the third fairway. If you don’t get back on with your second shot you are most likely looking at a 6 or worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last season it was houses along the left side of the fairway. Years before that it was house along the right side of the fairway.

Water or anything like that doesn't bother me but a forced carry at the edge of my driver distance is going to induce a chunky swing, almost every time. :mad:

The one with no bail-out area at all is probably the toughest knowing you can't hit anything other than a perfect shot to put you in play

It used to be the 1st hole if it was an iron off the tee, but with the changes to my home course, the 1st is an iron off the regular tees now so it doesn't bother me any more

Probably said before but narrow fairway with the left side shut off by trees, houses or whatever. I like to aim for the left side for a fade but will hit it straight occasionally so having the left shut off is uncomfortable.

Tee box hard up to the hazard right with the hazard running down the right.

The original question on this thread has made me think and think, but for some reason nothing truly stands out as most difficult except for courses that have strange hazards in my yardage range off the tee. Maybe a dogleg where you have to place the ball perfectly in the corner in order to get a decent second shot. Just not sure here as there are a number of challenging tee shots. Another one might be a blind tee shot that if the ball doesn't land perfectly it will roll down the hill into a ditch or hazard. Hilly courses present special challenges.

One course I play has a water hazard that is around 260 downhill. If you hit too far and get too much rollout your ball is in the drink. I don't normally hit a drive that far, but sometimes I do and in the drink it goes. If I play a wood off the tee I don't get it quit far as I would like.

It really needs to be exactly a 250-260 yard total drive and it is a long way across the pond and uphill to get the next shot safe. A slight mishit and you are toast. This has been one of the most challenging holes for a number of guys that I know. We often joke about how difficult that hole is even though it is straight as an arrow.

For me it’s a drive from a really elevated tee box. I played a hilly course that had 3 or 4 and a couple I genuinely felt like I had vertigo. All had a decent amount of forced carry and by the last I was taking a 5i just to make it to the fairway in tact..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back