What's one opinion on golf you will never change your mind upon?

My other one I won't budge on is that the quickest way to shooting in the 80s is to learn the game from the green to the tee box. I've seen this swing instruction method work too many times to think otherwise.

Probably the first post I ever made here was to ask for one recommendation for a complete beginner. A handful of the replies said exactly that (maybe you were one of them :) ). It really struck a chord with me and made sense. However, during my lessons my instructor went tee to green and I didn't think anything of it. Now, however, it's what I've started to do. I want to work on approach shots and putting first. Also, I don't lose balls that way.

This upcoming year is the year.

Out of bounds should be treated like a lateral hazard.
I like this for a rule change for amateurs.
Probably the first post I ever made here was to ask for one recommendation for a complete beginner. A handful of the replies said exactly that (maybe you were one of them :) ). It really struck a chord with me and made sense. However, during my lessons my instructor went tee to green and I didn't think anything of it. Now, however, it's what I've started to do. I want to work on approach shots and putting first. Also, I don't lose balls that way.
Yeah, most instructors teach the long game is more important to learn first.Thats ok, if they can teach.

My first instructors reason was to learn the easier parts of golf first, and let those easier parts make the next harder part easier to learn.

Examples are a good putting stroke is just a shorter chipping stroke. A good chipping stroke is just a shorter pitching stroke. Longer approach shots are just a longer pitching strokes, and so on back to the tee box. stroke.

Another plus is that a well learned short game will help the golfer's score while they learn the tee box, and fairway swings.

LIV vs PGA
The anti-bifurcation arguments are weakened because local rules exist.

Maximum handicap should be should be 18 in any money games.

Maximum handicap should be should be 18 in any money games.
In a certain unnamed thread I suggested 15, and I darn near had to hire personal security. But I am in agreement.

In a certain unnamed thread I suggested 15, and I darn near had to hire personal security. But I am in agreement.
I'd find 15 acceptable as well.
I'm also not a fan of net scores for skins. But that's another discussion.

The anchoring ban was a needless intrusion by governing bodys that need to be revamped. I'm sure their next move will be even worse. :)

Golf is hard

Unless you have a handicap placard on your windshield, get out of the cart & walk. You can push cart it, motorized push cart it or carry but you're meant to walk it.
While I do enjoy walking, some courses aren’t built for that and all it will do is slow down pace of play, and nearly kill those who are out of shape when walked in the heat.

I hate to be rushed during a game that even if played quickly, still will eat up 6+ hours of my day! I never hold up anyone, but hate when others complain about how slow the game can be! Sorry, this is my opinion!

Most of us will never feed our families with our talent, so may as well enjoy it! It’s too expensive of a hobby to not allow ourselves to really enjoy it!

As far as attire and nice looking things, if you look good, you feel good, if you feel good you play well, and if you don’t play well, at least you look good and for that, may as well feel good!

We are blessed to be able to play this game comfortably, there are many who can’t!

Finally, the wonderful feeling I get watching a perfect, slight fading tee shot climb and settle into the middle of the fairway, the feeling of watching a perfect approach shot land the green and stick near the flag, the sand shot the puffs out and rolls toward the cup, and the putt that after a nice read, follows the mental path and disappears into the cup! Now, all of these typically don’t occur on the same hole, but if they do, pure heaven! Lol!

Last edited:
Golf shouldn't change in order to grow. Not every sport "needs" to grow.

Being on the dead side of 60, and still playing in leagues that use the first set of tees from the tips, I can't make some of the longer doglegs in regulation anymore. I believe that a deadly wedge game saves me more strokes than the tee game I can't get.....

I love the OB as a lateral hazard as well. I play on one league that has that rule to keep up the pace of play.

Golfers should choose the ball that they enjoy playing with and score well with, and not base their decision solely on costs, cover type, or what some guy in his basement with an Excel sheet says they should choose.
I’m not sure if it was on this forum or another, but the person that said that they will only play the best ball, as he doesn’t drink their beers at $5-$6 bucks each where he plays, 2 of those equal the 3 nice balls that he may lose a round, and he brings his own waters to allow him to look down at the best he can tee up! I follow that advice as I don’t drink alcohol anyway...I’m not taking the high road, just don’t like the taste of alcohol and the way that I shoot, it’s impaired enough...lol! 😂

MY golf swing is not, and will never will be, YOUR project. Whether I'm working on something or not, unless I ask, f*** off.

Harvey Penick’s Little Red Book on Golf series hits on this too! Great advice!

Back