What's the better shot shape draw or fade?

The one you can repeat

What's a draw?

It's funny how the draw is perceived as the long ball. DJ is the longest on tour with a fade. JB plays a fade and is mildly long. I play a fade, I know a lot of faders that don't struggle in the distance department

I know a fade works well for a lot of people, but not me. A fade for me gets short high and spinny where a draw is more piercing and rolls out a ton more. I wish I could control a fade.

One bad swing away from a snap hook

It's funny how the draw is perceived as the long ball. DJ is the longest on tour with a fade. JB plays a fade and is mildly long. I play a fade, I know a lot of faders that don't struggle in the distance department

I wish my "fade" was powerful. I play one that is pretty fairway consistent but I'm always the short hitter. I'm sure my "fade" is probably more of a controlled slice. Every time I try to hit my fade with authority, it's a banana ball OOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it matters as long as it is consistent and can be done on command when needed. Personally, I prefer my straight ball.

Both are great if you can control them. Plenty of guys have played great golf with both draws and fades.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The grass is always greener on the other side. Most of us hackers are not hitting a fade by choice and can't hit a draw. That makes the draw more desireable.

I think a lot of that got started by Jamie Sadlowski, who is not built like a conventional long-ball hitter, saying he did what he could to hit a draw, because it was longer. There are some ball-striking dynamics at play that, if I recall, indicate players tend to present less dynamic loft and spin the ball less when they hit a draw compared to a fade. I'd have to look around and find it.

Personally, when I'm hitting the ball the best and farthest, my body is turning a little faster than my hands can keep up with, and I hit a fade. Ken Venturi in an interview somewhere said he used to practice by playing two balls in a sort of match play, where he would only hit fades with one ball and only draws with the other. The fade-ball always won. He failed to state why, but I think a fade tends to leave the face open, which tends to result in more spin. May not matter much off the tee, but getting approach shots to stick, how much you spin the ball matters.

I think whichever is the most comfortable (and controllable) for you to hit

I used to hit a fade naturally but when it turned into a slice it was usually gone. Since having lessons and making some slight changes to my swing I am a lot lot straighter and now hit a slight draw more often than not

I don't think I matters as long as you have a go to shape and the amount of curve isn't affecting distance. For me that is usually a little fade.

For years it was. Then the wound ball went away, and better metal woods came out. So with both of those things spinning less off the tee, carry distance is such a premium. According to Tiger Woods draws are perceived longer to amateurs because most don't hit it high enough to maximize carry.

I think there is a fine line between a "power fade" and a "distance robbing slice". :confused2:

I like when my shot draws ... so for me, that's the better shot shape.

I either hit a straight drive or a fade and I don't know which one it's going to be so I always aim to the left expecting a possible fade and when I get a slight fade it's a thing of beauty to watch in flight. But when I hit it straight I'm usually positioned at the left side of the fairway for my second shot but in the middle of the fairway if I get the fade. Still I would prefer to hit it straight as an arrow every time

I like a fade better, but that's because I've never learned how to truly control a draw.
I find a draw turns into a hook as soon as anything goes awry, whereas a fade might become a larger fade or a block which usually end up more playable. At the tees I play I don't really need the extra 10-15 yards a draw might get me.

I like a straighter ball and find I have more consistency with a slight fade than a draw.

Have played my best, most consistent golf since learning to hit a draw five or six years ago. Mostly because my 8 iron through wedges have been so much better than they ever were hitting a fade. Still hit them high and the distance control has been pretty good.

On the flip side I do struggle with the draw off the longer clubs. Can easily turn into a left to farther left adventure and when the driver is off I end up hitting a lot of 4 & 5-iron stingers off the tee that may stay out of the trees/hazards but still usually end up in the left rough.

Been working all summer on hitting a fade with my driver. On the days it works my scores really reflect what I can accomplish hitting short irons & wedges off the short grass. Will agree with others posts above. That low spin, knuckle ball fade off the driver can carry a mile.

I do miss the fade with my irons when hitting out of thick rough. Just seems like a much better way to attack that ball nestled down in the $hit.

For years it was. Then the wound ball went away, and better metal woods came out. So with both of those things spinning less off the tee, carry distance is such a premium. According to Tiger Woods draws are perceived longer to amateurs because most don't hit it high enough to maximize carry.

Also many weekend golfers "fades" are weak slices as the result of casting it off the back foot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The grass is always greener on the other side. Most of us hackers are not hitting a fade by choice and can't hit a draw. That makes the draw more desireable.

this is pretty much it, a proper draw is a visual result of a swing that is under complete control, ask yourself why you rarely hear of a hookfix, it's almost always slicefix because it is easier and more natural to swing out-to-in

a ball that spins heelside will go just as far as a ball that spins toeside

blah blah blah impact vectors tl;dr closing the clubface lowers loft, opening the clubface raises loft (which is where the "draw = distance" misconception comes from)

The shot that doesn't cost me a stroke and sets up my next shot.

If you can work it both ways that is the ideal shot. Holes are setup differently sometimes you want to work right to left sometimes left to right other times straight. All shot/dependent IMO

There is no right or wrong. I play what comes natural, which for me is a fade, but I can draw the ball when needed (most of the time).

As someone who has worked fiercely over the last two years to build a robust golf swing, I struggle with which shot shape best fits as my go-to. A draw looks better to my eyes and is what I hit more naturally, when trying to hit straight, with my inside out swing path. With short and mid-irons, however, I am more comfortable and more accurate hitting a cut than a purposeful draw. With longer irons, fairways, and driver, I struggle to purposely hit a fade. When my swing is off -- pull my left shoulder across too soon -- I hit fades with driver, fairways, and long irons. I lose distance but they are very manageable and rarely go too far off line. When I am swinging better -- my left shoulder hangs around for the swing -- I hit the ball further but can hook the ball into left-sanity very easily. A lot to learn here for me.

Interestingly on chips I have moved to an outside in path and adjust that with loft to control spin. My chipping has taken a quantum leap forward. It allows me to use more feel with my hands, and I use bounce so much more effectively.

Yeah the high draw and also the low fade are hard to pull off.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My fade would turn into an incontrollable Slice really quickly. I find a draw to be better for distance and I've learned to not over do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back