What's your low rent guilty pleasures

robrandalgz

2023 Budget Championship #CanyonCowboys
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Growing up (being raised by a single mom), we didn't have a ton of money. So, we ate a lot of food that was, for lack of a better term, "cheap". As an adult I don't struggle like my mother did but there's still some of those foods that I actually still enjoy (probably more out of nostalgia than anything). Three off the top of my head are

1. Ramen Noodles
2. Hamburger Helper
3. Banquet Pot Pies

Whatchu got?

Salisbury steaks ( the frozen ones with 6 on them) eat them with instant mashed potato
Then
Use the leftover gravy, boil some egg noodles and voila dinner the next night.

Burger King

Cheese enchiladas
Hamburger helper

steakums

Damn. This thread. Mine is Velvita Mac and Cheese with canned corned mixed in. My mom used to make that all the time for me as dinner and I still make it. That couldn’t have cost $3 back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Kraft Mac and Cheese, cut up hot dogs required.
Also, SOS, but haven't done it forever.

Black beans and rice.

Fried eggplant sandwiches.

Crunchy peanut butter and red raspberry preserves.

Cheese sandwiches. ( But it has to be real cheese, my Mom wouldn't buy processed cheese "food".

Banquet pot pies.

Mac and Cheese (doesn't even have to be Kraft)

I also love a peanut butter sandwich on fresh bread

1710797065386.png

Another Hamburger Helper fan. There was a flavor that hasn;t been available in years, probably decades - Rice Oriental. I loved it. I could eat a box by myself.

Pinto or navy beans and corn bread or rice. I still do this once a month or so. I'd do it more often but my wife thanks me that I don't.

My grandparents generally always had chickens. My grandmother would grab one of them, ring its neck, do the necessary things to the poor dead bird and make a chicken and rice one pot deal. She would poach the chicken with some green onion, celerey and carrot, then shred it, cook the rice in the stock and add back in the chicken. Fresh, farm-raised yard bird tastes many times better than the chicken we buy now though I still make it from time to time.

There are any more but those are a few off the top of my head.

Kraft Mac and Cheese, cut up hot dogs required.
When I was a broke law student, I remember watching for the blue box to go on sale 3 or 4 for $1. And when Bryan Juicy Jumbos, or Smoky Hollow smoked sausage, would be 4 for $5.

It was good but I ate so much of it, it is why I mostly dislike M&C of any kind now.

Last edited:
Frozen corn dogs or chef boy r d Ravioli

Cheesy Noodles...... basically homemade mac n cheese with spaghetti.

Hamburger helper. Has no business being that good for what it is
I love hamburger helper. Loved coming home from football practice and having some hamburger helper with a 32 oz glass of ice cold milk.

Hot pockets.

that once in a great while ride to DQ for 10 cent dip top cone

Toasted PBJ with a large glass of milk. Loved it then and still do

Grilled cheese and canned tomato soup.

Stouffers Mac and cheese

Back