When do you give up on a new swing?

When did anyone say tips were bad? The thread asks a question which you have yet to answer but instead decided to stir the pot. If you can't contribute stay out of the the thread.

I guess you haven't read the first page of this thread, because there were a few people that implied tips where bad. I'm not suggesting it was you, so you should stop taking things so personal. This is a discussion on changing your swing and tips fit into that last time I checked.

Well let's see if we can't get this back on track. Do you give you swing 3 months, a year? What is your time frame for your new swing?

I usually give a swing change a few months to be engrained. But that's al based on how many reps I get in at the range. If it's a winter time or heading into winter the. Maybe the entir off season for me to get comfortable with it. If it's not working after that I'll look to make a change.

Honestly? It's hard to say. I've never had a long term instructor, but the ideas from my 3-lesson pack of a couple of years ago, I tried to keep at for at least a couple of months.

Well let's see if we can't get this back on track. Do you give you swing 3 months, a year? What is your time frame for your new swing?

I usually have the ability to get to the range 2-3 times a week so 3 months is easy for me to give to a swing. I need to feel like I'm not making progress or can't grasp the swing before giving up on the thought/swing

I tweak my swing a good bit, but I dont ever change it all that much, especially over the last 2 years. Ive learned that focusing on shot making over swing technique has done much more to improve my game. My technique changes are more to correct bad habits or flaws Ive developed from previous adjustments.

Thats pretty much my swing goes. Develop a flaw, make an adjustment to correct the flaw, the adjustment turns into an overcorrection resulting in another flaw that I have to adjust for.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I need a new chipping swing. :bad:

I got you, at least I hope I do. I may have to fake the funk on the nasty dunk, but I'll get you dialed in.

I've always tried to give changes a few months to sink in.

Ok let me rephrase that - since I started getting lessons I give things a few months. Before that, it was easily once a week that I'd give up on something and try something new.

I've had my current swing for about 3 years now and have worked on it with a pro. We've tried various different feels and moves to see what clicks with me, but I've started seeing better scores with what I have now. I'll continue to stick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm prone to watching too many youtube vids and trying to take too many things from them.

But lately I'm really focussing on MY swing and letting nature take its course. The one thing I am really trying hard to work on is getting my downswing starting with my lower body, really pushing my lead foot into the ground - feeling the pressure in my lead quad.

Other than that, I try and keep free of any swing thoughts over the ball.

I've learned more about my swing with my current instructor this winter than I have in the 10 years I've been playing golf. There are a few faults I have that make my game very inconsistent. I'm a chronic wrist cupper throughout my swing, causing an open club face at impact. And I compensate and flip the club to square the face. I've found it very difficult to keep my wrist straight or slightly flexed at playing speed. It's going to take alot of time and reps to groove the position with my wrist and let my body release the club instead of getting over active with my hands. I may have some terrible rounds this year, but I'm determined to stick it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've visited a number of different pros over my 40+ years of playing golf.

They've all worked on the same swing flaws with me and invariably, I've eventually reverted. It wasn't that I changed to a new swing, it was just that I failed to connect with their lessons. It's perhaps a failure of mine to understand what they were trying to get me to do and feel.

I've finally found a teaching style / pro that really resonates with me and just recently, the lessons finally "clicked." I will not stray from his path again. The improvement in my swing is dramatic and I know there's lots more improvements to come.

It's not like are many different good swings, there's only one way to swing a club properly IMO, some may have nuances but the fundamentals are always there.

So I've never given up on a "new" swing, I've only tried to get my swing faults fixed and strive for the one and only.

In 2015 I decided to try competitive golf again and knew I needed to make a swing change in order to be competitive. My coach and I started that change in the winter of 2015 and I would say it was summer of 2016 before I felt comfortable. There were some really rough patches during that time but I felt like this was the path I needed to take. Overall I am happy that I made the change. It was harder than I thought it would be but in the end glad I made the change.

In 2015 I decided to try competitive golf again and knew I needed to make a swing change in order to be competitive. My coach and I started that change in the winter of 2015 and I would say it was summer of 2016 before I felt comfortable. There were some really rough patches during that time but I felt like this was the path I needed to take. Overall I am happy that I made the change. It was harder than I thought it would be but in the end glad I made the change.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around you being better than you were. You have game for days!!

mine is still in constant change and has since i decided i wanted a swing that could get me to single digits eventually. I have always called it a real swing. I have no abandoned the journey, and only change to the next phase when its time or i get confused. I am trying to keep everything under one Pro to get me there, and i have made huge strides with him. (if only i can get my self used to releasing the club - LOL)

I agree with Tadashi. Out of curiosity, how much did you improve pre-change to post-change?

Honestly, I try to keep it as simple as possible and just hit the ball. I monkey with setup and grip mostly - to change my swing in any meaningful way now would be painful and would take quite a bit because it's fairly ingrained. I get solid full swing results out of it, though far from perfect, but good enough to reach my near term goals I think. Where I'm going to improve is short game, wedge precision, and better putting.

Now, that being said, in the past it has taken me a while to give up and move on when something isn't working. The biggest example is a few years back I tried to switch to a draw after historically playing a little fade, and it really messed me up for a good while. My miss went from a weak fade (which sucks, but directionally isn't terrible) to a massive death hook because my swing had gotten super flat. I tried to make it work for probably a year before seeing my instructor and asking him to get me back to being able to play a little fade. He fixed me and I ended up somewhere in the middle - I default to a small fade, but now I know how to hit the draw as well when I need to and the hook is mostly gone.

Most people probably shouldn't make massive swing changes unless they have 20-30 hours a week to work on that other wise you have a good chance of being lost. It took me about a month or 2 of playing 5 days a week a few years ago to change mine but I still lapse into the closed stance flat takeaway when I am not careful.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around you being better than you were. You have game for days!!

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with Tadashi. Out of curiosity, how much did you improve pre-change to post-change?

My change was based on a need for consistency in pressure situations. Not necessarily on scoring better. My old swing involved a very strong grip, aiming miles right, coming over the top and hitting giant pull fades. Basically I would swing as hard as I could and hold on for dear life not letting the face turn over. I couldn't hit a draw to save my life What I noticed was when I was swinging well and timed up it was really good. However in certain pressure situations I noticed that the timing made it hard to be consistent. In addition all the timing and feel made it hard to fix on the course.

When I decided to make the change. I wanted a swing that was more on plane and easier to repeat under pressure. Which I now think I have. Also I have some swing keys that make it easier to fix if it goes bad on course. The hardest part of the change was the ball flight/aiming change. After hitting fades for so many years seeing the ball go straight to draw and not aiming right was hard to adjust to.

I wouldn't say my scores have necessarily got the much better. I am just much more consistent my low scores are still low but my high scores are not nearly as high. Even though It was a long and somewhat painful journey. The change was the right move. When I go to the course I have so much more confidence in my ball striking. Golf is so much easier when you can step up to the shot and free wheel.

I've learned more about my swing with my current instructor this winter than I have in the 10 years I've been playing golf. There are a few faults I have that make my game very inconsistent. I'm a chronic wrist cupper throughout my swing, causing an open club face at impact. And I compensate and flip the club to square the face. I've found it very difficult to keep my wrist straight or slightly flexed at playing speed. It's going to take alot of time and reps to groove the position with my wrist and let my body release the club instead of getting over active with my hands. I may have some terrible rounds this year, but I'm determined to stick it out.

I've been swinging a short club every night, working on wrist positions​. Finally feeling normal! Been striking the ball well during my lessons as well!

I've had the same swing for many years and always just make minor tweaks to it based on my performance. In my opinion, we as amateurs, don't have time to rebuild or completely reconstruct our swings. We are amateurs, not professionals.

I have my swing and it is not going to change for the most part. I'll try to implement some things that will improve on what I have to help with setup, posture, plane, path, tempo, etc.. and hope they help and I can get them to stick.

Time is the thing, it takes thousands of swings to ingrain something new which is just not going to happen with my schedule...family, kids, work.

I don't really know where making adjustments turns into a new swing.

I don't really know where making adjustments turns into a new swing.

Let's look at this way. You have swing A from your pro. You see him or her 6 times and then go out on your own. The swing works for 3 months then it starts to go south. Most people get frustrated and start looking for fixes. These fixes compound the problems and all of sudden you have something that no longer resembles swing A.

A new swing has formed and maybe you seek out internet help and now you're into something else. This is giving up on swing A. Not giving up is getting back with that pro that taught you swing A.

Back