When do you plan to retire?

Supperman;n8898394 said:
I'll be retiring on September 20.

Congrats
very jealous

I’m not sure... I have a number in my head that I doubt we will hit. 2 kids to put through college and a house to pay off..I’m also planning on bucking the traditional and only withdrawing 3% per year in case we live longer than expected. So... never I guess

I thought in two years, I’m 64 now and work for a race team (Hendrick Motorsports) in NASCAR, working in the engine department building cylinder heads. I work part time or just whenever I want in a local golf shop which I enjoy doing. I really like my job in racing and could go in two years but was thinking just today I don’t really want to just quit and do nothing, I’m mainly my own boss so I will probably just keep going, I have 7 championships with Jimmie Johnson and that’s something I am proud of.

I am 62 this month and I still work full time. I have the plan to retire 3 years from now.

golfinnut;n8893696 said:
This alters all your plans, believe me. Try putting 5 kids through college! 2 are done ... just waiting for the last 3 :banghead:

College can be silly expensive and if you have multiple children that are going to private schools, it normally requires setting aside money when they are toddlers. One of my daughters friends has 6 siblings and they currently are all in a private high school or college, ouch! We have our oldest graduating next May and our middle child graduating college in 2022. Our youngest doesn’t start college until 2023 which is one of the reasons my wife is still working. She will likely retire when we send our youngest off to college so we can winter in Florida like most all of our Minnesota friends!

34 here. probably have another 30 years or so of working, but once most of our debt is paid off in 2-3 years, wife and I plan to aggressively max out our 401k and Roth IRA every year to accelerate towards retirement. right now my wife works part time at home (vipkids) and plan to go back full time teaching once we have our 3rd kid in the future, so 3-5 years.

I quit working at 51....I was planning on setting up a golf travel company then but that became more a hobby than job....Once I was outta the day to day grind...I liked it. I realized I could go without getting a real job and just did it. No financial guy would say I made the right move....But it works. We picked up moved to FL from CT...Was there 8 years. Kids started having kids and we moved to be closer to them. My standard line is...Life isn't quite what I thought but everybody should have my problems...

GolfTravelDude;n8906292 said:
I quit working at 51....I was planning on setting up a golf travel company then but that became more a hobby than job....Once I was outta the day to day grind...I liked it. I realized I could go without getting a real job and just did it. No financial guy would say I made the right move....But it works. We picked up moved to FL from CT...Was there 8 years. Kids started having kids and we moved to be closer to them. My standard line is...Life isn't quite what I thought but everybody should have my problems...

Like it! I’m striving for what you have & made for yourself.

Back