Which British football (soccer) club do you support and why?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I saw Luton mentioned in the soccer thread and it made me smile. I'm often amazed at how people from different parts of the world follow British teams.

I support Leeds United because I'm from Leeds.

Manchester United. Family is originally from greater Manchester and I inherited my team from my Grandad.

Tottenham because they’re the Hotspurs. Team name does it for me.

I’m fairly new to EPL and followed Leeds and Chelsea closely bc of the American presence , but Fulham had my attention because of Dempsey and Arsenal when Turner was there. It’s tough as an American to gravitate towards a team bc of the distance but winning aside I’m a big fan of how Pep teaches the game and expectations from all players.

I’ve never been able to lock onto one but I kind of like that. I initially chose Manchester city and then they ran off whole bunch of titles and I felt like a front runner.

Cardiff City because my family has Welsh heritage and I visited Wales in the summer of 2013 when they were promoted to the Premier League for the first time. Since they spend most of their time in the Championship it is hard to follow them with the limited number of games televised on ESPN+.

When I was younger I played goalkeeper. FIFA 1999 came out and England was awesome in that game. Shearer and Sheringham and Beckham and Adams and England's keeper, David Seaman. I figured out who David Seaman played for, I decided that would be the team I cared about.

That's why I started following Arsenal.

The King Arsenal GIF

Last edited:
I also adopted Leeds last year when the Niners owner bought them and I liked their kits and they immediately got regulated.

Spurs. No particular reason. Just wanted a decent team that wasn’t one of the super big guys but also not a crap team either when I was choosing 5 or 6 years ago.

Also Sunderland has a soft spot in my heart after watching the Netflix doc a few years ago. I need to watch the latest season that just came out

Wycombe Wanderers. Spent my first 5 years in the UK in High Wycombe. I couldn't tell you the name of one person on the team....I just check to see how they are doing.

Everton. Growing up in New Zealand in the 90's we would only get 1 live English football match a year on the telly, FA Cup final, which was a 4 hour affair that started 1 or 2am.
1995 Cup final, Man utd vs Everton, we would play the Saturday then got the club and basically see who could stay up for the game. Everyone back then was typical red shirt support, I'm less of a sheep so picked Everton.
Paul Rideout header from the crossbar rebound to give Everton its last major piece of silverware in recent memory.

Don’t really follow but if I had to pick it would be Arsenal. I had a friend in high school that moved to the US from England and he was a big supporter.

Have welsh heritage , John Toshack played for Liverpool , so followed the Team …. Now thats a relative term , as l pay rare attention , specifically , to them to what’s going on but have idea in broader news how they doing

Not really anybody, but kind of Norwich because I like their yellow kits.

Between golf and college football I don’t have any room for a third sport, but if I did it would be MLS.

Arsenal.

I grew up on the coast in East Sussex with no obvious local team - Brighton probably my closest were 3rd or 4th division at the time.

I was a goalkeeper at school and gravitated towards Pat Jennings when he was at Arsenal and it kind of stuck - I have fond memories of watching the 3 FA cup finals between 78-80 on TV whilst on family holiday (we always went away that week in May). Been a Gooner now for 47 years through all of the great years and some pretty patchy spots as well - not just Emery but Bruce Rioch as well. I have been a Red Member now for quite a few years.

Manage to get to The Emirates a few times a year, and was stoked to win an Arsenal competition this year and watch the Spurs game from a box, and appeared on the pre-match show. Shame about the result - a draw - but I'm looking forward to us battering them in a few weeks at their place.

Premier League Football GIF by BT Sport

Absolutely loving our resurgence under Mikel Arteta.

Classics. Liam Brady nuff said.
Yep - the man was a magician.

That said so was Bergkamp, and I think Odegaard could be looked on in that light in a few years time.

My Grandkids play Soccer , i never did other than a few outings as a goalie in the military squadron team in the 80's. I did not have to remember all the lines and rules, just stop the ball and clear the ball....lol

Dallas FC is a mere 5 miles from me

Yep - the man was a magician.

That said so was Bergkamp, and I think Odegaard could be looked on in that light in a few years time.
What part of Hampshire are you in?

I've got a second place in Winchester and play at the SWGC, infrequently.

Newcastle because I like the beer. I am a man of distinguished taste.

BFC.jpg
My daughter became a Premier League fan 2-3 years ago because she loves all things British & ended up picking Man City as her team. As a dad I felt I had to do my part to irritate her a little so about 6 months ago I quickly reviewed the current list of teams and landed on Brentford because they were near the bottom, I love underdogs, their logo looks cool, and who doesn't love Bees? Seems like they could really use the support as well.

Chelsea FC.

I started really following soccer while I was in high school in early 2004. I knew I hated Manchester United because I equated them to the Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers, and I didn't really like Arsenal. I saw the CL semi that CFC played in that year and liked what I saw so I was thinking it was going to be them, and then that summer they signed Drogba who quickly became my favorite player and I've been following them ever since.

Back