which short game/putter player would you prefer to be?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
We were watching some local guys play, and I noticed the difference in their short games and putting.

Player A- He could make putts 85% of the time from 10 foot and in. But, his short game always left him 14 feet to 20+feet from the hole.

Player B- This guy could pitch or chip to within 8-12 foot everytime, sometimes closer. But, his putting wasn't aperfect. Maybe average or above average.

Several people said player "A" was better, because of putting.

What do you think about this?

Jack

Player B. If it's not inside of 10ft it wouldn't matter

Player A. I would rather be able to sink those long ones on demand. Just imagine how many looks at Birdies you would have once the ball striking gets better and you were hitting a lot of GIRs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Well, they were just speaking "as of now", without future improvements.

Jack

B.

I will take proximity to the hole everytime.

I like being closer to the hole so I'm going player b

I will stick with player A.

Better than average putter and good short game. Player B everyday and twice on Sunday.

I will stick with player A.

You did read the OP? Player A is making a lot of bogies when he misses greens.

I'd probably be Player B.

Not sure it's that great to make a lot of putts from 10 feet and in if you're constantly leaving yourself 15 feet or more from the hole.

Proximity to hole. I take B

You did read the OP? Player A is making a lot of bogies when he misses greens.
True. But have very good looks at birdies when he does hit a GIR. is this a you dont ever hit a green who would you choose question? All around if you look at a average putter only making 40% to 50% of 6 foot putts that mean he (player b) would have to hit it from the fairway to inside 8 feet to have a reasonable chance at a birdie. Player A could hit it outside of that and still have almost twice the chance of making a stroke back. If they are both missing every GIR then player B is the no brain er pick on this. However all ball striking being equal and say hitting 50% of greens I will pick player A. How many of those 8 footers will player B miss per round? Unless he has a 100% up and down rate then he will be making some bogies as well, but have a less likely chance of making that shot back on the next GIR unless he knocks it within a close distance that a average putter has a more then reasonable chance at birdie. That is why I chose player A.

True. But have very good looks at birdies when he does hit a GIR. is this a you dont ever hit a green who would you choose question? All around if you look at a average putter only making 40% to 50% of 6 foot putts that mean he (player b) would have to hit it from the fairway to inside 8 feet to have a reasonable chance at a birdie. Player A could hit it outside of that and still have almost twice the chance of making a stroke back. If they are both missing every GIR then player B is the no brain er pick on this. However all ball striking being equal and say hitting 50% of greens I will pick player A. How many of those 8 footers will player B miss per round? Unless he has a 100% up and down rate then he will be making some bogies as well, but have a less likely chance of making that shot back on the next GIR unless he knocks it within a close distance that a average putter has a more then reasonable chance at birdie. That is why I chose player A.

How do you figure he is having good looks at birdie based on what the OP stated. This is about have an ok short game vs a good short game. Being better than average with flat stick and being good inside 10ft which didn't happen too often.

How do you figure he is having good looks at birdie based on what the OP stated. This is about have an ok short game vs a good short game. Being better than average with flat stick and being good inside 10ft which didn't happen too often.
So this a strictly who has a better short game question then, not who might end up being the better "player" as stated by the OP. So I must have misunderstood what the question from the op was. Then yes I will agree player B based off missing every green in the round. I thought it was more of a question of over all including other aspects of the game such as hitting a green or not throughout the corse of a round. But stick these two on a short game practice area I vote player B will walk away with the lower score. But put them on a putting green and A will win everytime. Which will get you lower score throughout a round is what I thought the question was. Not when they both always miss a green.

Reverse the question for a second.

Player A is a good putter. He hits 85% of his putts withing 10 feet.

Player B is average putter so can make about 50% of any putt inside 8 feet when on a green.

Who has the best chance of scoring lower if both players hit a GIR?

6 of one and half dozen of another is the way I see this question.

So this a strictly who has a better short game question then, not who might end up being the better "player" as stated by the OP. So I must have misunderstood what the question from the op was. Then yes I will agree player B based off missing every green in the round. I thought it was more of a question of over all including other aspects of the game such as hitting a green or not throughout the corse of a round. But stick these two on a short game practice area I vote player B will walk away with the lower score. But put them on a putting green and A will win everytime. Which will get you lower score throughout a round is what I thought the question was. Not when they both always miss a green.

Reverse the question for a second.

Player A is a good putter. He hits 85% of his putts withing 10 feet.

Player B is average putter so can make about 50% of any putt inside 8 feet when on a green.

Who has the best chance of scoring lower if both players hit a GIR?

6 of one and half dozen of another is the way I see this question.

Where are these numbers coming from? One is good from 10' and the other is average from 8'? There are so many variables not being discussed player B could be a green hitting machine. Player A could be putting for bogies.

I'm basing my answer on the info provided with very small assumptions

Player "B" for me
he is an average to above average putter and has the better chipping? He'll be just fine when hits greens and the better one when he doesn't.

From here. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?70287-learning-to-putt If he is 8-12ft out then he is below the 50% make mark.

But either way, like I said before. If you this a question of if they both missed every green who was going to have a lower score I already said Player B was the no brainer. I miss understood what the question was from the OP being a strictly if they missed every green question. But I would rather be a better putter then chipper any day of the week. Your worst putt is almost always closer then your best chip, said by somebody pretty good at the game.

From here. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?70287-learning-to-putt If he is 8-12ft out then he is below the 50% make mark.

But either way, like I said before. If you this a question of if they both missed every green who was going to have a lower score I already said Player B was the no brainer. I miss understood what the question was from the OP being a strictly if they missed every green question. But I would rather be a better putter then chipper any day of the week. Your worst putt is almost always closer then your best chip, said by somebody pretty good at the game.
I think the quote is 'your worst putt is better than your worst chip'

I think the quote is 'your worst putt is better than your worst chip'

Hey, this is the internet where you can change quotes to fit your needs. haha I knew it was something like that.

Hey, this is the internet where you can change quotes to fit your needs. haha I knew it was something like that.
Truth...lol

What we watched was- They both hit decent tee shots. Both were 45-50 yards from the green. Player A hit his ball within 18 ft???? of the cup. Player B hit his 5 or 6 foot of the cup. Player B (1) putted, Player A (2)putted.

We asked them later how it went. They told us that player B, usually wins by 5 or 6 strokes on 18 holes.

Player B, chips- in from time to time.

Also, Player A has a place to practice putting, player B has a place in his yard to practice chipping.

I don't have a place to practice putting, but if I can keep practicing my short game, it might make up for putting problems.

These guys are good friends, and said that in a 2 man scramble, they do really well.

Both have only been playing golf a little over 5 years. When they both get better at their now weak points, they ought to be awesome.

Each of them usually score 82-87, for 18 holes. Player B has shot a 79 twice.

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Jack

Last edited:
Player A. I would rather be able to sink those long ones on demand. Just imagine how many looks at Birdies you would have once the ball striking gets better and you were hitting a lot of GIRs.
totally agree..

For me it would be player B,take my chances closer to the pins.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Going off the info provided I'd say player 'b'.

However, in curious how many GIR each player is good for as that could factor in to the decision.

Back