"Whippy" wrists at the top of the backswing

Chase

Pro V1 Kenobi
Reaction score
Handicap
Going up
Panda,

What's your opinion on the reasons for the wrists to break down at the apex of the backswing if the player is indeed keeping his left arm straight? Cupping? I am struggling with this, going past the 90 degree wrist angle.

Below is an example. The yellow is Tiger's angle and the red is what happens to mine. I get to the top and it gets "whippy". It's giving me consistency issues.

tigerswing_zpse0e6e542.jpg

I have this same issue. Hands break down from time to time.

I have this same issue. Hands break down from time to time.

It's frustrating. I don't know if it's a turn issue (arms keep going after the shoulders stop) or it's cupping or what. I'm really trying to get a more compacted swing.

Its crazy you bring this up as this is EXACTLY what I'm struggling with right now.

First pic is a good swing, 2nd PIC is a bad swing. Both pics are taken at the point of transition.
5e4e8c5289e0c40a81a28aec18b9d1d2.jpg

acfc9d0cedf5e0fe12c0f9b9e2b4182d.jpg

Do you notice that second pic happening when you take the club back quicker than normal

Do you notice that second pic happening when you take the club back quicker than normal
It happens when I
A) take it back too quick
B) my grip gets weaker, or
C) I swing too vertical instead of around

It's an issue most golfers have because they are looking for more or added length in their swings. It's all due to an over swing.

The angle created at address between the hands and the club is all the wrist break you need. The right arm folding into a 90* angle is all you need to add with a good shoulder turn to get the club into a good spot at the top

First pic is a good swing, 2nd PIC is a bad swing. Both pics are taken at the point of transition.
5e4e8c5289e0c40a81a28aec18b9d1d2.jpg

acfc9d0cedf5e0fe12c0f9b9e2b4182d.jpg

In the 1st pic it looks like your right elbow is in closer to your body. Could that be a reason it compacts your swing?

Panda. Am I right or wrong here in saying that doesn't Hank Haney promote a wristy transition from backswing to downswing? I watch alot of reruns of the Haney project for pointers and notice he talks alot about wrists especially with Sugar Ray Lenord.

Also Bubba seems to have this extreme wrist hinge at the top of his swing.... And like him or not he's pretty good

Panda. Am I right or wrong here in saying that doesn't Hank Haney promote a wristy transition from backswing to downswing? I watch alot of reruns of the Haney project for pointers and notice he talks alot about wrists especially with Sugar Ray Lenord.

Also Bubba seems to have this extreme wrist hinge at the top of his swing.... And like him or not he's pretty good
If I have a student that didn't break his wrist naturally I would had some wrist manipulation to the swing. Bubba is a freak of nature
and plays golf with his own flare.

The simple fact is that most golfers I have no idea how to swing the club. Their swing is made up of tips they heard or watched. Because of this there are added pieces to the swing that aren't needed.

The extra wrist flex is just depleting the swing of power.

If I have a student that didn't break his wrist naturally I would had some wrist manipulation to the swing. Bubba is a freak of nature
and plays golf with his own flare.

The simple fact is that most golfers I have no idea how to swing the club. Their swing is made up of tips they heard or watched. Because of this there are added pieces to the swing that aren't needed.

The extra wrist flex is just depleting the swing of power.

Freddie could the excess wrist hinge at the top be a grip issue (in the palms vs fingers)? When I played bigger grips and gripped the club in my palms more, I couldn't hold pressure at the top and the club would almost flop out of my hand and the face would shut on the way down when I tried to get the club back in the groove.

Freddie could the excess wrist hinge at the top be a grip issue (in the palms vs fingers)? When I played bigger grips and gripped the club in my palms more, I couldn't hold pressure at the top and the club would almost flop out of my hand and the face would shut on the way down when I tried to get the club back in the groove.
Without seeing your swing I could not say for sure what the issue might be. It could be but a larger grip would assist in less wrist due to the size. A smaller grip would add more play.

I'd cut off a finger if I knew it would cure this terrible flaw.

I'd cut off a finger if I knew it would cure this terrible flaw.
Every time I try to stop it I end up tightening all of my arm muscles and make an even worse swing

Every time I try to stop it I end up tightening all of my arm muscles and make an even worse swing

About the only feel that seems to work for me is to basically feel like the shaft is pointing straight up in the air. I'm sure it goes at least to parallel though still.

Yep. Me too. When I try to just "swing shorter" it's disastrous.

About the only feel that seems to work for me is to basically feel like the shaft is pointing straight up in the air. I'm sure it goes at least to parallel though still.

I've tried this too with various success. I do think it makes it better but it's more of a band-aid than a fix.

I've had this issue for a very long time. I'm not sure if its a correct way of fixing it or just a patch, but I find shortening the swing a little has helped me. When I shorten the swing my hands don't seem to hit that point where I add the extra hinge.

I've found that with tempo and the length of my swing I add that extra hinge repeatedly at the same moment in time. It's almost robotic. To fix it I had to find that "moment" and get used to stopping my backswing just before it hit that point. I still struggle with this especially with the longer clubs (driver, 5w, 4i). But when I have a good ball striking day it's because I've shortened the backswing a little bit.

I'm no expert , but I would say that a lot of issues that happen at the top of the backswing . May have been caused by something that happened at the beginning of the swing / or even a bad grip or setup . Your body is putting you in this bad position to help compensate for a bad position you had earlier . Forcing a good top of the top backswing is too hard to do . Wish I could be more specific , but it could be a multiple of things going bad earlier in the chain

I'm no expert , but I would say that a lot of issues that happen at the top of the backswing . May have been caused by something that happened at the beginning of the swing / or even a bad grip or setup . Your body is putting you in this bad position to help compensate for a bad position you had earlier . Forcing a good top of the top backswing is too hard to do . Wish I could be more specific , but it could be a multiple of things going bad earlier in the chain

Not for me. Even my instructor says my swing looks great up until when my wrists break down at the top of the backswing.

I've had the same issue my whole life! Recently I've tried emulating Steve Stricker at the top and my ball striking has improved dramatically.

You want to stop the extra wrist hinge. You have to get the feeling you are making a 3/4 back swing. Most of the time this ends up being a full swing but seems to sure the issue.

Also there no substitute for working on strengthening the forearms and wrist. A simple tennis ball will help with this and can be done while you sitting on the couch. Simply grip a tennis ball, squeeze and flex toward your bicep. I also like to hold a 5lb weight and rotate the wrist. This build ups the wrist muscles, tendons and ligaments.

Guys - check out this vid, about the 2 min mark he talks about a "no turn" drill for people who get flippy at the top. Anyone ever tried this?

You want to stop the extra wrist hinge. You have to get the feeling you are making a 3/4 back swing. Most of the time this ends up being a full swing but seems to sure the issue.

Also there no substitute for working on strengthening the forearms and wrist. A simple tennis ball will help with this and can be done while you sitting on the couch. Simply grip a tennis ball, squeeze and flex toward your bicep. I also like to hold a 5lb weight and rotate the wrist. This build ups the wrist muscles, tendons and ligaments.

Great stuff Freddie. I am actually going to be using the rice bucket method!

Guys - check out this vid, about the 2 min mark he talks about a "no turn" drill for people who get flippy at the top. Anyone ever tried this?

I could never understand this guy .. I grasp something's Freddie says and few others online . But this guy ..? Nope

Back