Thoughts on High West, my daughter just brought me a bottle from the distillery in Utah.

The Rye is pretty good. If you like a little smoke the campfire is also tasty. I am a fan of the Bourye a lot. It is a bourbon/rye blend. I have a bottle of the last Mid Winters open on my bar right now and really enjoy it on a cool night. Wife surprised me with a bottle of the 16 yr Rocky Mountain Rye after a girls trip to Park City. I haven't cracked it open yet. All that to say I think they make a really solid product.

American prairie bourbon. Reviews seen good.

I drink my whiskeys neat, sometimes I'll add a ice cube, rarely though.

American prairie bourbon. Reviews seen good.

I drink my whiskeys neat, sometimes I'll add a ice cube, rarely though.

Have not tried that one yet. Will have to try it.

Thanks looking forward to trying it. I only have about 30 open bottles of bourbon, what's one more?!

Thanks looking forward to trying it. I only have about 30 open bottles of bourbon, what's one more?!
I don't even know right now how many different open bottles I have right now. I keep track of inventory on a spreadsheet but I'm not very good about updating it when I open a bottle.

Cracked into a Bardstown Discovery #4 a few nights ago. Damn, it may have become one of the better bourbons I have open on the bar currently! Anyone else try the Discovery Series from Bardstown? I've had #3 and #4, and both are stellar. Price tag isn't so stellar, but honestly this is one of the few I would pay the hefty price tag ($130) for.

Played Harbourtown last week and afterward we had a drink in the bar. They had Old Pappy 10 year and asked the bartender what the cost was $30. So ordered. The biggest pour I have ever had. Was like 4 oz. What a finish to a fabulous day....

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a bottle, and it is damn good. Could only imagine having a hefty pour after playing a gorgeous course. Very awesome man, and definitely jealous!! 🔥

I’ve been really into Ryes lately. A little more spice and break up my bourbon affection. Tried these Whistle Pigs side-by-side. From left to right: WP Farmstock; WP 10 year store picked aged for 12 years; WP 12 year; and another WP store pick. I also have the Boss Hogg, the regular 15 year, and a 15 year store pick on deck.
619e2d357d2c0cb6d91c6a1ea9224c5d.jpg

I’ve been really into Ryes lately. A little more spice and break up my bourbon affection. Tried these Whistle Pigs side-by-side. From left to right: WP Farmstock; WP 10 year store picked aged for 12 years; WP 12 year; and another WP store pick. I also have the Boss Hogg, the regular 15 year, and a 15 year store pick on deck.
619e2d357d2c0cb6d91c6a1ea9224c5d.jpg

I almost bought the 12yr but passed. I don’t know anything about it and I didn’t want to drop $100 on something I didn’t like

I almost bought the 12yr but passed. I don’t know anything about it and I didn’t want to drop $100 on something I didn’t like

There isn’t much difference in taste between the 10 and 12. See if you can find any store picks in your area. They can be a much better value since you can get a 10 year rye aged longer. This isn’t true in NYC but I’ve seen some store picks aged for 15 years at the same cost of the 10 year. The only catch is the aging statement isn’t on the bottle. Only the store and the distributor know how much longer it was aged.

There isn’t much difference in taste between the 10 and 12. See if you can find any store picks in your area. They can be a much better value since you can get a 10 year rye aged longer. This isn’t true in NYC but I’ve seen some store picks aged for 15 years at the same cost of the 10 year. The only catch is the aging statement isn’t on the bottle. Only the store and the distributor know how much longer it was aged.

The reason I was looking at the 12yr was they had the 10yr marked at $95. I thought since there wasn’t a real difference in price I might as well go with the 12. So I bought another bottle of the Knob Creek SiB store pick for $50, lol

A little embarrassed it took me so long. Now I know why so many people recommend it. Really a nice pour! Will definitely be in the rotation. 👍👍
20210318_101922.jpg

Cracked into a Bardstown Discovery #4 a few nights ago. Damn, it may have become one of the better bourbons I have open on the bar currently! Anyone else try the Discovery Series from Bardstown? I've had #3 and #4, and both are stellar. Price tag isn't so stellar, but honestly this is one of the few I would pay the hefty price tag ($130) for.
I've heard they were good but I haven't dropped the cash on them. @LLIB @KY Golfer and @Qwkz51 did a tour and tasting there when we met up for a little golf outing there in Fall 2019 and that is the only time I've been able to try any of their stuff. I don't recall what stuff we sampled on their tour.

It's on my try list if I can find it!
Always on the shelf here. I am kicking myself because I didn't check the website this morning and missed EH Taylor and Stagg Jr.
Missed them both by 30 minutes:cautious:

The Rye is pretty good. If you like a little smoke the campfire is also tasty. I am a fan of the Bourye a lot. It is a bourbon/rye blend. I have a bottle of the last Mid Winters open on my bar right now and really enjoy it on a cool night. Wife surprised me with a bottle of the 16 yr Rocky Mountain Rye after a girls trip to Park City. I haven't cracked it open yet. All that to say I think they make a really solid product.
Mid Winters is one of my favorites

Mid Winters is one of my favorites

Finished whiskeys typically aren't my thing but this one has grown on me a lot. I think the spice of the rye really helps to keep the port from overpowering.

Here’s to another trip around the sun! Thankful for the few silver linings of 2020, and looking forward to what the next trip around brings! Cheers THP

cbc74b66dc8f5617b6217cfdbc42372e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on High West, my daughter just brought me a bottle from the distillery in Utah.

Their regular offerings are decent. But their limited releases are usually very good. Midwinter Night's Dram, Bourye, Yippie Kai Yay are my top three

I really love the four roses 20210320_193030.jpgsingle barrel. Not a huge fan of the small batch but I ran across a small batch select and wanted to try it. It is okay, I like the single barrel much better.

Back