I got myself a New Rift Single Barrel bourbon after watching the Bourbon Junkies YT channel.
It was a "what the hell, why not" buy.
It has been one of the tastiest bourbons I've ever had. Not bad for a 4yr old.
1628791903381.png

You should find a bottle of Nocino made here in Columbus by Watershed distillery. They also have a barrel aged version that they age in their bourbon barrels. I know not a lot of people make this but I think Watershed is considered then best and most well known USA made Nocino.
I have Watershed's standard bourbon and it's good. Nothing fantastic, but definitely buy-able.
I need to get their BIB and/or their Apple Brandy finished bourbon.
I'd get the Nocino, but it states this on their website: Sold out in Ohio for 2020.

Florida Straight sounds dangerous...
It’s a great mixer (as all bourbon is). It was a gift, and actually came with a bottle of old fashioned mix. I guess that was a hint?

I got myself a New Rift Single Barrel bourbon after watching the Bourbon Junkies YT channel.
It was a "what the hell, why not" buy.
It has been one of the tastiest bourbons I've ever had. Not bad for a 4yr old.
View attachment 9021911

It is amazing what New Riff is able to do in 4-5 yrs. I have been a part of two New Riff private barrels selections with some guys in my neighborhood and they always seem to knock it out of the park in that age range.

I recently got a bottle of their 100% Malted Rye and it might be one of the best tasting whiskeys I have ever tried.

I have Watershed's standard bourbon and it's good. Nothing fantastic, but definitely buy-able.
I need to get their BIB and/or their Apple Brandy finished bourbon.
I'd get the Nocino, but it states this on their website: Sold out in Ohio for 2020.
I still see it some around Columbus but it is limited because they can only make it once a year when the walnuts are still green if I recall.

Definitely get the new Watershed Bottled in Bond they just released at the beginning of July. it is MUCH better than their prior bourbon and is going to be their main product going forward. The old stuff is now discontinued. I haven't tried the Apple Brandy finished version yet but one of their employees told me its really more of a lighter mixer bourbon.

I still see it some around Columbus but it is limited because they can only make it once a year when the walnuts are still green if I recall.

Definitely get the new Watershed Bottled in Bond they just released at the beginning of July. it is MUCH better than their prior bourbon and is going to be their main product going forward. The old stuff is now discontinued. I haven't tried the Apple Brandy finished version yet but one of their employees told me its really more of a lighter mixer bourbon.
Who mean the one with the big red label with the off-white lettering is done?
Up here in burbs south of CLE it was everywhere.
I ask the liquor store of the 2 places I go and they say it sold good.
Many just bought it b/c it's Ohio made.

Who mean the one with the big red label with the off-white lettering is done?
Up here in burbs south of CLE it was everywhere.
I ask the liquor store of the 2 places I go and they say it sold good.
Many just bought it b/c it's Ohio made.
Yeah. they are rebranding everything so their only bourbon products moving forward are the 6 year Bottled in Bond and the 4 year Apple Brandy finished blend. Once the original stuff is gone it is gone.

1628802121967.png

I also have a couple of single barrel releases that I picked up at the distillery and they are good as well. I think they may continue those as a one-offs on occasion.

How is the Old Forester Statesman? I was recommended some of that. Also Evan Williams Single Barrel is some of the best bourbon for the price.
I like the Statesman though not as much as 1920.
I like the Evan Williams too but for a value bourbon, I go with Early Times BIB.

@Jaw2000 that is one hell of a collection my friend. I need to come over your house!!

I have a bottle of that and it is definitely quite different than the other scotches I'm used to. Not a ton of cask strength scotch is on the market but I liked it. I opened my bottle in a side by side tasting with GlenDronach 12 and 15.

I have yet to try it still. Would you recommend it straight up or with a couple drops of water? The bottle says a little water, but I routinely drink 110 proof Pikesville Rye straight up and it's still so smooth it's dangerous.

BTW I absolutely love both the Glendronach 12 and 15. In fact I just finished a bottle of the 15 the other day. The 12 is a classic stone fruity sherry bomb to me, the 15 is a little more complex and spicy but definitely still finishes up with the sherry notes.

@Jaw2000 that is one hell of a collection my friend. I need to come over your house!!

I have yet to try it still. Would you recommend it straight up or with a couple drops of water? The bottle says a little water, but I routinely drink 110 proof Pikesville Rye straight up and it's still so smooth it's dangerous.

BTW I absolutely love both the Glendronach 12 and 15. In fact I just finished a bottle of the 15 the other day. The 12 is a classic stone fruity sherry bomb to me, the 15 is a little more complex and spicy but definitely still finishes up with the sherry notes.
Everyone is welcome here!

Received a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh from my wife for my birthday this past week and she's hinted that something else is enroute. Have heard really good things about the A'Bunadh (cask strength sherry bomb, allegedly) so I'm really excited to try it...and the incoming mystery bottle!

Aberlour is my #1 favorite out of any whisky.

Also, dollar for dram, the 16yr is the best value out there.

If you ever are in Scotland, the distillery tour is awesome!

Enjoy!

Speaking of good bourbon, I had a great bourbon experience last 4th of July. My son and his wife met me and my wife to help celebrate our 40th on Amelia Island. We stayed at the Omni and have friends that live on the golf course across from the Ritz. We played Oak Marsh on Thursday and the Ritz course Saturday.
After golf went went to our friends house for a drink.
We have been friends with this family since our boys were in middle school and there son was best man for our son. The best man broke out a bottle of bourbon, one of six he found in his wife's grandfathers barn while he was helping gramps clean it out. (pics below)
while I normally drink my bourbon on the rocks our host wouldn't allow it, and for good reason.
The first sip I knew this was something special. It was as smooth as a sip of a great cab and the flavor was the best I'd had.
He told us the half case was tucked away in the back of a storage shelf and the receipt from 1968 was still in the box. It is claimed by some that this bourbon was distilled in the 50's when Julian (Pappy) Van Winkle still operated the distillery, then bottled in the wilderness themed bottles after his death in '63.
You can buy these bottles/decanters on line but they won't have the "good stuff" in them.
While it hadn't gotten any more "oaky" sitting so long in the bottle it certainly mellowed it out a bunch.
While he was gracious enough to share a taste he moved us off to the "cheap stuff" for the next round.
IMG_5224 (002).jpgIMG_5228 (002).jpg

Enjoy!

It's funny, we were actually planning to go to Scotland this year but we pushed it off to maybe next year with the doubt as to what would be open with COVID. But I'll definitely add it to the list! We had planned to hit Talisker and Oban for sure 👍

And I'll keep a look out for that Aberlour 16 as well!

You know what I love reading this thread and the beer thread? The adventurous spirit of modern day craft brewers and distillers. They respect tradition, but are not hidebound by it. They seek to make unique, high quality products that offer consumers something different. I have to admit that, up here in Youngstown, OH., I have never seen some of the bottlings on here! Even in the best liquor store in the area, you won't find them.

Oh well, my loss. But, we do have a rather vibrant craft brewing scene going on, so that's good!

Still enamored by these wintersmith ice balls. This guy has probably been sitting in the freezer for a month. Surrounded by old fashioned.

20210812_201814.jpg

It's funny, we were actually planning to go to Scotland this year but we pushed it off to maybe next year with the doubt as to what would be open with COVID. But I'll definitely add it to the list! We had planned to hit Talisker and Oban for sure 👍

And I'll keep a look out for that Aberlour 16 as well!

Oban is a great little town!

FYI you have to book ahead for an Aberlour tour.

Enjoy!
I’ve been enjoying Aberlour lately too when I want a nice sipping Scotch.

I’ve also been pretty keen on the Aberfeldy 12 year.

I picked up some blueberry cobbler sipping whiskey last week. I can’t wait for winter to get here so I can drink it. I am not much of a drinker, but I love a good sipping whiskey by the fire on a cold winter night.
That sounds delicious. My only worry is that it would be too sweet/sugary.

That sounds delicious. My only worry is that it would be too sweet/sugary.

It’s sweet, but not overly sweet. I got a banana’s foster one last year that was definitely too sweet. I normally put a couple large round ice cubes in a cup, pour that over it and let it melt a little to water it down. I really am not much of a drinker, but when I super cold, it’s the only thing that warms me up. Doesn’t hurt that it tastes amazing. It’s a dessert drink for sure.

It’s sweet, but not overly sweet. I got a banana’s foster one last year that was definitely too sweet. I normally put a couple large round ice cubes in a cup, pour that over it and let it melt a little to water it down. I really am not much of a drinker, but when I super cold, it’s the only thing that warms me up. Doesn’t hurt that it tastes amazing. It’s a dessert drink for sure.
Is the blueberry cobbler one from the same maker as the others you got last year?

…or was that moonshine?

My pour tonight.

0fwbWwAnGWTy41IwOydAYv6730-qxt3t3lMVZXuwWwcY1doW962wE0Q2_erVIOULOaK1PC5gNCcqGltFzYQEqtsNKkQVFMIzv58cLtl2DxHexemGjth2IOPJaHW9038YVx5_EunTjRuj_vVhwNBhFmpzAUKO5gFAUx264tWMFUiBYN-5Zo6vg3AfzlRf0yRiVuzumHbAgBX0SM4RNd-DtxH6YndAUn1tFRz_GXrVSRPLaAdwLQZoaJmsXJeQRPf5O7JDXmIRM35w-Gyg5dzHkaXXL7AgjFGTMF1RGjMC7v5OZsP9Dx-8m2RwJI_R6WC1KqViMlheteQFMpQ4r2dqVUxvA0QULq4xk00mT73U_7SATZ-gt5UAz90RBZ8HDtKfneX2gNn-iOqX77OrYCMqLeHLx4RulXna4II5JBGjgCWpOp-PDBo3UCg6-AhPy1ZTPPlMTinAwqic6bZik0F8Tkym8-tmRN-yZBLeacizHfy_8-1ClLAL8WIJXWYn-dpYzYIu6ZsguRvZhyQaF8RfsapQ8ouPw8Rg8qlPxBRuxDgogsP75CWltT8_TXRGfLTFGmTruziKmTO5xpkpb6GUSS24POE93Co55AG68UBo6GbZPj1xHPPbbV3TdVyQ0T9UqjnCoTWJ57pnhcqL_TBfyQ533tkIE82G4HAHmE39Uin1Es5FQzwd8IexVxsabu14Xr1GIDPe1D6Ft7zW2E-FaA7nDw=w678-h903-no

Is the blueberry cobbler one from the same maker as the others you got last year?

…or was that moonshine?

Those were moonshine. My parents were in town and we took them to do all the touristy stuff and we went to a local distillery. My parents don‘t drink at all but my dad decided he was going to sample ALL the whisky they had, but then had no plans to buy anything, and we felt so bad we decided to buy a bottle. I saw the Blueberry on the shelf, it sounded good, I tried a sample and it was amazing, so I bought it. Total impulse thing, but felt so bad. Reminded me of the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry David goes off on the person trying all the ice cream samples and then just walked out without getting anything haha.

I'm generally a straight up neat drinker but will add water to scotch on occasion. The Aberlour probably needs it but go ahead and give it a sip straight up and see what you think.

I do really like the GlenDronach 15. I'm actually having a sip of 12 year right now. I had a dram of Macallan 18 recently so I went on a search for more affordable alternatives once my bottle eventually goes empty and the GlenDronach 15 seems like the winner. I'd like to try the 18 year version but it isn't sold in OH. I'm a big fan of sherry cask scotches.

Those were moonshine. My parents were in town and we took them to do all the touristy stuff and we went to a local distillery. My parents don‘t drink at all but my dad decided he was going to sample ALL the whisky they had, but then had no plans to buy anything, and we felt so bad we decided to buy a bottle. I saw the Blueberry on the shelf, it sounded good, I tried a sample and it was amazing, so I bought it. Total impulse thing, but felt so bad. Reminded me of the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry David goes off on the person trying all the ice cream samples and then just walked out without getting anything haha.
Don't abuse the samples.

Back