Who has had an albatross?

GolfTravelDude

Team Hackers Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I have played golf for a long time. But I have never had an albatross. Have you? Tell us about it.

I have not had one, but will be interested to hear about what others have to say in this thread.

I've come close a few times. The last one was a 2nd shot into about a 530 yard par 5. It came to rest only about 8" from the hole. At first I thought it went in because it rolled behind the hole & was in line with the flag from my point of view back in the fairway. But it was close ;)

I have the badge....that's as close as I'll get to it 🤣

Unfortunately no, it is the only shot I am missing from that list. I came within a foot a couple years ago.

I have seen one in person. I have two HIO and would gladly turn one in for an albatross. I think it is rarer than the HIO. IMHO

So my son who is 38 now and played Div 1 golf. He has been scratch for 20 years. He bombs it also. As in been on greens of 600 yard holes in 2. Anyway he has had two albatrosses. But he has never had a HIO....Go figure.

I have seen one in person. I have two HIO and would gladly turn one in for an albatross. I think it is rarer than the HIO. IMHO
Much rarer. I have 3HIO. 0 Albatross

No HIO or albatross here. :( Probably never happen as I don't hit very many par 5s in 2 anymore.

No HIO or albatross here. :( Probably never happen as I don't hit very many par 5s in 2 anymore.
So I once drove a par 4. Ball rolled up to the hole and hit the pin and stopped a few feet away. Albatrosses can come on par 4's too..... ;):LOL:

Back around 1995 I guess. Shortish par 5, maybe 470-480 if that. ...trees left, OB right but still a fairly generous driving area. Hit a good one that ended up in a nice lie in the left rough. Flushed a 4 iron with a nice draw and it landed front edge or fringe and rolled like a putt maybe 30 feet right into the hole. We were playing a partners better ball match so everybody just picked up their balls and went to the next tee.

I had one in high school from about 225 yards with a 3 wood. We looked for at least a few minutes for my ball until a buddy checked the hole. I didn’t get my first HIO until 12 years later which was actually more satisfying.

No Albatross here! And I am in the camp that a hole-in-one on a par 4 is NOT an Albatross, but a hole in one

Had one in high school from about 225 yards with a 3 wood. We looked for at least a few minutes for my ball untila buddy checked the hole.
Sad story similar to this but par 4 2nd shot in HS match. Hit blind approach. We looked for a while. This was my home course so I knew it well and my ball must have bounded over and into woods. Anyway, match play and concede hole to opponent and he had chipped to near hole. As he picks up his ball he says hey look. and my ball is in hole....But back then to complete hole ball had to hit bottom of cup. So I lost hole on an Eagle of today....

I have 😊. Just the one in 20 years of golf. It doubles as a HIO because it was on a par 4 🤣. Risk/reward 270 ish yard par 4 which I never saw the value in going for despite its short length. But on this occasion, I was having a terrible round and had nothing to lose! Didn’t see it go in, just pitched at the front of the green. Found it at the bottom of the cup after a fruitless search in green side bunkers and through the back 😊.

Not me. Son has one from 240

I was about 4" away on a par 5 about two years ago. The pitch mark was an inch directly behind the hole

I thought I was going to have a change a couple of years ago, hit a 3 hybrid on a straight line right at the flag. It landed on the front of the green, and rolled right at the flag (middle of green), but was just to the left of the cup and rolled by about 10 feed. So, if it would have hit the pin, maybe there would have been a chance. That's the closest I've ever been.

I have 1.
Northview Ridge #18. Driver, 7 iron to a back left pin. I thought I blocked it but luckily it decided to turn hard left 2nd half of the flight and trundled in.

My friends say it's not legit. The hole plays like 440 if you take a shortcut over the water instead of going around the lake. I just say that if you don't like the hole or the par, take it up with Mr. Palmer.

I've got one. Stationed at Lajes Field, Azores. Base championship, 200 meters downhill, blind shot. Hit a perfect 5 iron, went to the green and couldn't find it. Someone looked in the hole and there she was. I was never in contention but that shot made my year.

Nope, never had one but been close a couple times on different holes at my home club with balls finishing about a foot from the flag to leave an easy eagle instead

Came 1 foot away last year on a short par 5, and that’s the closest I will likely ever get

Closest I've ever had.

First chance was on a medium length Par 5 on a links course. Hit a 4 iron for my second shot in and hit about 10 feet short, one hopped and bounced off the stick to end about 2 feet away.

Secind was on a shorter par 5 that had a dog leg. Was able to draw a shot around the dogleg and left me an 8 iron into the green. Hit a good shot and left it 6" from the cup for Eagle.

Back