Why are more chippers not used by mid-high handicappers?

The Cleveland Smart Sole 4 wedges have intrigued me, especially as someone who struggles a bit from 100 yards in. They also have pretty good reviews. I'm a high handicapper myself and I've actually been finding success using my 9i to chip from close around the green, but I need to pay real close attention to speed because its easy to roll the ball past the hole.

I do have a question - are you supposed to be taking a full swing with these? Or is it more like a putter stroke as described in other posts? Cleveland apparently makes an S wedge specifically for sand shots, and I can't figure out if you're supposed to take a full swing with that one, or a putter stroke, or something in between. Probably a stupid question, but I just have zero familiarity with these types of clubs.

It's a putting stroke with the chipper. Be careful, if buying the Cleveland S wedge. Many swear by it. But, it's heavier than most normal sand wedges. I could never get the hang of it.

What I ended up doing after all my experimenting is to ignore both kinds of well-intentioned advice you'll see about chipping. Two main styles are recommended:

1) Putt with an 8-iron
2) A chip is just a tiny version of a full swing

For me a chip, by which I mean a shot that gets the ball off the ground very briefly but only in the air for maybe 5-10% of the total distance, isn't really like a putt or like a full swing or a long pitch shot. It's kind of its own thing.

So I actually took a chipper club out to the practice green and figured out how to create a repeatable stroke that bumps the ball into the air for a few feet and then rolls out without checking up. Kind of a wide stance, hands forward, all arms swing with no body rotation AND no hand/wrist action.

But the chipper was just basically a practice or learning aid. Once I figured out the setup and stroke I got rid of the chipper and just do that stroke with a 7-iron, 9-iron or PW depending on the length of the shot. Seems to be working pretty well. But I'm not "putting" and it sure as heck isn't like a "mini-full swing".

confidence, as a high capper, we've all been there, two great shots on a par 4, only to stubb or thin a chip, destroys your confidence. If a club is designed for this situation, why not. Also, what a great club for a beginner. Then one can graduate to your technique.

I mean, so does a crushed drive and a chunked wedge shot, or a dart of an approach and then whiffing on the putt though no?

All things that practice can usually take care of

All the responses were definitely helpful. From what I've gathered though with my handicap...I think I'm fine with a chipper right now. As my iron striking improves, I really think my play with a normal wedge will just come naturally and I can switch to a wedge when I feel like I'm at the level I need more control, better pitches etc. I've haven't really heard enough pros to make me want to switch to a club I'm just going to lose a load of confidence on though.

All the responses were definitely helpful. From what I've gathered though with my handicap...I think I'm fine with a chipper right now. As my iron striking improves, I really think my play with a normal wedge will just come naturally and I can switch to a wedge when I feel like I'm at the level I need more control, better pitches etc. I've haven't really heard enough pros to make me want to switch to a club I'm just going to lose a load of confidence on though.

Have you considered a couple of lessons? Pretty good motivator coming up for you in a couple of months if you want to go that path.

Have you considered a couple of lessons? Pretty good motivator coming up for you in a couple of months if you want to go that path.
I'm at about 16ish lessons with 3 different instructors. I've had 6 or so in the last 3-4 months. I really liked my last guy, but overall I feel like I'm getting pretty much the same feedback and information that I feel like I already know. I really feel like it's just at the point where I have to practice what I know and execute. I think I get the concepts, but I only get maybe 1 day a week to practice, and then 1-2 times a week I play, so it's just a matter of what do I work on when I go, and for me right now it's driving, iron play, and I like to practice putts within 10'. I'm more confident with my chipper than any other club in my bag which might sound ridiculous to most of you guys, but it just doesn't make sense for me to practice a whole new chipping method and buy a new wedge with the time I have right now?

I'll definitely be going for some brush up lessons from here to November though. I hope our weather is good in October. My worst fear is weather gets crappy and I can't play the month leading up to the event. I'm pumped though JB. I'll be putting in my time so hopefully I don't make a fool of myself though. :p

It's a putting stroke with the chipper. Be careful, if buying the Cleveland S wedge. Many swear by it. But, it's heavier than most normal sand wedges. I could never get the hang of it.
[/QUOTE

Good to know! I'm assuming based on the couple of lessons I've taken on sand shots thus far that a putting stroke is NOT going to work with an S wedge out of the sand, but it would be much easier if that did actually work!

I'm at about 16ish lessons with 3 different instructors. I've had 6 or so in the last 3-4 months. I really liked my last guy, but overall I feel like I'm getting pretty much the same feedback and information that I feel like I already know. I really feel like it's just at the point where I have to practice what I know and execute. I think I get the concepts, but I only get maybe 1 day a week to practice, and then 1-2 times a week I play, so it's just a matter of what do I work on when I go, and for me right now it's driving, iron play, and I like to practice putts within 10'. I'm more confident with my chipper than any other club in my bag which might sound ridiculous to most of you guys, but it just doesn't make sense for me to practice a whole new chipping method and buy a new wedge with the time I have right now?

I'll definitely be going for some brush up lessons from here to November though. I hope our weather is good in October. My worst fear is weather gets crappy and I can't play the month leading up to the event. I'm pumped though JB. I'll be putting in my time so hopefully I don't make a fool of myself though. :p

The name of the website is the Hackers Paradise, not the tour golfers paradise. I can guarantee you, whatever you do out there, I have seen just as bad or worse. With that said, we want people to have the time of their lives and if you ask the people that were first timers in the recent Mizuno Experience or listen to the podcast that just dropped this morning, they talk quite a bit about going to your first THP Event and what it is like.

The name of the website is the Hackers Paradise, not the tour golfers paradise. I can guarantee you, whatever you do out there, I have seen just as bad or worse. With that said, we want people to have the time of their lives and if you ask the people that were first timers in the recent Mizuno Experience or listen to the podcast that just dropped this morning, they talk quite a bit about going to your first THP Event and what it is like.
This is one of the reasons THP is such an awesome forum. We help each other in so many ways and keep the golf experience fun and enjoyable. If I had to play with a bunch of stuffed up golfers all the time, I would be out of the game in a heartbeat.

Like I said I can't wait. I joined this forum to learn. I'm as analytical as it gets, so this community has been awesome. I don't post near as much as I read, but I've learned so much and I'm absolutely stoked to meet some THP'rs. I can't wait to ask questions and see a variety of other player skillsets as well. Like I said...3rd season in, so I don't have a big golf community around me yet. I only have 3 friends that golf, and no one in my family golfs or anything, so I'm just excited to meet other golfers that are as obsessed with the sport as me. That's what I'm most excited about. I'm pumped dude!

I think ego has a huge role to play. But also, there's not a ton of mainstream chipper options.

When I checked my ego and played a Niblick for a bit, it was such a fun club to have in the bag. Was a great greenside option and was killer on mid-length pitches

Like I said I can't wait. I joined this forum to learn. I'm as analytical as it gets, so this community has been awesome. I don't post near as much as I read, but I've learned so much and I'm absolutely stoked to meet some THP'rs. I can't wait to ask questions and see a variety of other player skillsets as well. Like I said...3rd season in, so I don't have a big golf community around me yet. I only have 3 friends that golf, and no one in my family golfs or anything, so I'm just excited to meet other golfers that are as obsessed with the sport as me. That's what I'm most excited about. I'm pumped dude!
You have plenty of friends on this board that golf so your good you just haven't met them yet!
Like JB said he has seen it all and no one really cares as long as you have fun and don't be a Richard!!
If you find a teacher you like stay with them but don't get discouraged sometimes you can feel like your not making progress or going backwards while you are working on something.

Two reasons I've never carried a chipper: 1.) I don't want to give up another club to make room, 2.) I don't want to rely on a single loft for all chipping situations.

An occasional playing partner carries a weird old chipper, which he never actually uses for chipping. He uses it on full or 3/4 swings on approach shots from the fairway, and on some par 3's. For him it's essentially a low-profile high-lofted hybrid.

s-l500.jpg
I have an Odyssey X-Act Chipper, but I leave it at home. Clubhouse had it on clearance so I thought I'd give it a try. Distance control was an issue, but I never really practiced enough with it.

Few reasons for me:

1) I don't like clubs that don't have versatility. Besides my driver/Putter all of my clubs can be used for a variety of shots, but those are probably my 2 most used clubs, so I get my money's worth with them.

2). I don't get any benefit from a chipper vs a wedge/iron (try chipping with and 8I instead of that 37* and see what the results are, it may be better for you, it may not be because of the wider sole of the chipper) so why take up a spot in my limited bag?

3) For the most part they are hideous and I am a connoisseur of the finer things in life.

I had a Cleveland SmartSole chipper, I used it some, but never got familiar enough with it to be alright. Sold it to a buddy, and he loves it. Thanks me every time we play. I'm quite happy for him.

Why?

It's called a gap wedge.

Weight on front foot, feet open and close together, play ball towards back to middle, tell yourself "turn and turn"

Why?

It's called a gap wedge.

Weight on front foot, feet open and close together, play ball towards back to middle, tell yourself "turn and turn"
The why's been answered from my perspective. It's a putter with a 37 degree loft (or 55 degrees since I now have TWO chippers), so I can use a swing that is much more comfortable for me than having to tell myself "turn and turn". I'm a 21 handicap with a 8-9 putting handicap, so why not use the STRONGEST part of my game wherever I can? I don't have to "turn" one iota with this. I setup to the ball in my putting stance and putt. The percentage of duffing or thinning this clubhead that is heavy with a very fat sole is reduced quite greatly in all my comparison tests to a normal wedge. It's just simply easier to use from my perspective and in all the tests I've done with it.

Here are the arguments that are against it:
1. It's not as versatile, you can't open it up the same way as a wedge, and the wedge will ultimately give you more variety of shots and adaptability. (I'm not looking for MORE options as a 21 handicap as of yet, but I can definitely see the argument when I'm consistently down in the 80's or so to want/need that versatility)
2. It's ugly and non traditional (I get it...I agree it's ugly. I prefer to be cool by scoring the lowest I can...I don't need to look cool)

Can you ask what shaft True Temper would fit you to in your chipper while at your Experience? 🤣. Honestly I think that would be hilarious just to see how they respond.

The why's been answered from my perspective. It's a putter with a 37 degree loft (or 55 degrees since I now have TWO chippers), so I can use a swing that is much more comfortable for me than having to tell myself "turn and turn". I'm a 21 handicap with a 8-9 putting handicap, so why not use the STRONGEST part of my game wherever I can? I don't have to "turn" one iota with this. I setup to the ball in my putting stance and putt. The percentage of duffing or thinning this clubhead that is heavy with a very fat sole is reduced quite greatly in all my comparison tests to a normal wedge.

Here are the arguments that are against it:
1. It's not as versatile, you can't open it up the same way as a wedge, and the wedge will ultimately give you more variety of shots and adaptability. (I'm not looking for MORE options as a 21 handicap as of yet, but I can definitely see the argument when I'm consistently down in the 80's or so to want/need that versatility)
2. It's ugly and non traditional (I get it...I agree it's ugly. I prefer to be cool by scoring the lowest I can...I don't need to look cool)

I understand -

At your handicap or any, it's what works.

I can use one to three clubs well around the greens and on full shots - setup properly and turn and turn - you don't need to say it - just do it. just turn your abs back and then forward in no rush fashion for the distance needed.

Do what works until you can put the chipper down if you want.

Can you ask what shaft True Temper would fit you to in your chipper while at your Experience? 🤣. Honestly I think that would be hilarious just to see how they respond.
Done and done. I'll try to get @jfox789 or someone else to video it for ya all. ;)

I don't use one as a high handicap that's been playing for a year, I prefer to use my on course time to continue to practice my chipping and pitching skills with my wedges instead of a club I won't be bagging in the future. I used half of one of the lessons I took and learned proper technique and it was a huge help and now I look forward to hitting my wedges. I also use a couple mottos for my short game that a hockey coach used to always yell at us, K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid and D.O.T.S. don't overthink ****.

The why's been answered from my perspective. It's a putter with a 37 degree loft (or 55 degrees since I now have TWO chippers), so I can use a swing that is much more comfortable for me than having to tell myself "turn and turn". I'm a 21 handicap with a 8-9 putting handicap, so why not use the STRONGEST part of my game wherever I can? I don't have to "turn" one iota with this. I setup to the ball in my putting stance and putt. The percentage of duffing or thinning this clubhead that is heavy with a very fat sole is reduced quite greatly in all my comparison tests to a normal wedge. It's just simply easier to use from my perspective and in all the tests I've done with it.

Question for you. Have you tried to make this same stroke with a forgiving iron? You may find that the reaction is similar, I know many that do.

Three pages into a chipper thread and no mention of a Square Strike?

I don't think I'd consider a dedicated chipper because of the "what would I take out to make room for it" argument. But I'd be lying if I said I never wanted to try a Square Strike after watching a Stacked Golf video. :ROFLMAO:

Question for you. Have you tried to make this same stroke with a forgiving iron? You may find that the reaction is similar, I know many that do.
No, I've not, and I should give it a try. I saw earlier where Stryker mentioned choking down on an iron and you basically get the same thing. I can see the comparison, but I'm just not super convinced still?

I play a Maltby TS2 so it's not a super game improvement iron nor is it a players iron, kind of an between, but again the head weight is going to be so different even if I choke down to make the shaft length similar to that of my chipper at 35"? It's almost 30 gram difference. And still I'm at a 4 degree bounce with a thinner sole vs. a 8 degree bounce with just so much more sole. I'll give it a try for you and Stryker though. :) But my chipper cuts through some nasty stuff like a butter knife with all that bounce, sole and weight.

Just wait until I get that True Temper shaft in there! I'm basically a revolutionist like Bryson Dechambeau at that point. Wait for the incoming chipper sales spike! Maybe I can talk Finley into having Callaway make one eh? :p

Back