Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

For those who are not familiar how the whole process works, I just had an order come in today and thought I'd share some information.

1. I had a custom order for the FDI KE4 3 hybrid and 56* Glider wedge. You can see my specs on the invoice below.

20200629_200318_upd.jpg

2. Overview - Each head comes in with the weight. The heads are made in China, the assembly is done in the USA,.

20200629_181058_upd.jpg

3. FDI

20200629_181357_upd.jpg

4. Glider and comparison photo - I'm hopeful the wide sole will help improve my dreadful sand game.

20200629_181419_upd.jpg 20200629_181751_upd.jpg

Dave

Look what Fed Ex dropped off today! New forged TSW wedges. Will get them on the range one day this week!

I am curious to hear how you like those. I probably need to start looking at some new wedges myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I gamed a set of Mizuno MX-200 irons since they came out in 2009 until 2 years ago. tried a couple of different sets of irons during that period but quickly went back to the Mizuno's. They just suited my game. I bought and built up a set of Maltby DBM Forged Irons and have had them in the bag for a couple of years - finally kicked the Mizzys out (kept them - will never sell them). the DBM is easy to hit, flat out performs for me, looks better in the flesh than in Golfworks pics and the finish it ultra durable. I will be buying Maltby again!! got my eye on TS2's. they deserve more love.

So far my #2 Ke4 Tour hybrid/utility is producing very well for me. I played Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and when I needed it, it did the job nicely.

The thing I noticed about this club is that I may mishit it a bit (not reading a lie properly), but I have not yet topped a ball with it like I sometimes do with a wood. I bet my next club purchase I will be looking closely at Maltby offerings. I would love to compare the wedges to my Vokeys just for the pure heck of it.

These arrived at the house today. Maltby TE Forged irons (6-GW). Looking forward to getting to the range and on the course. Will certainly post my thoughts after I play with them for a bit. Great looking clubs and well constructed.
0703201246.jpg0703201247a.jpg0703201249b.jpg0703201249a.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived today is a set of TS-2 pre-built with the KBS Tour 105... which will be getting pulled tonight. 4-GW for $399. Couldn't pass it up. Ill put the KBS shafts on ebay.
Ill be installing Avalon i9 in the Pw-8, Avalon i8 in the 7-6. 5 and 4 iron will get the 75g Rapid Tapers. The wedges will get the 105g spin wedges. That will be a great weight progression throughout the set. It will allow me to really launch the upper end of the bag. The lower end with the added weight will be super stable. With trimming you get sort of a constant weighted shaft ser. I used to build all the Tour X shafts that way till they went away. Now with the new gear that's arrived I can get back to this type of building.
This should be a fun set.
2c224e15d05cb02954881a561afd6521.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Big fan of the TS-2 head, built one with the Pro X 95 & I couldn’t do anything but hit it well.

That’s a great deal on those heads as a set. Makes me think.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These arrived at the house today. Maltby TE Forged irons (6-GW). Looking forward to getting to the range and on the course. Will certainly post my thoughts after I play with them for a bit. Great looking clubs and well constructed.View attachment 8951734View attachment 8951735View attachment 8951736View attachment 8951739
They now call these one of their Legacy designs. They just keep selling. Such a timeless iron. Hit them well.

These arrived at the house today. Maltby TE Forged irons (6-GW). Looking forward to getting to the range and on the course. Will certainly post my thoughts after I play with them for a bit. Great looking clubs and well constructed.

I'm using the same irons, enjoy them! They look great and I find are actually really forgiving.

Dave

Finally got the TE Forged irons out for a round this evening. The weather and my schedule have not cooperated the last week or so. The adjustment to standard lofts took me a few holes to get my distances down. Overall, I am about 5-7 yards shorter per club which is fine as my gapping is about 10-12 yards between clubs.

Once I got my distances down, I really enjoyed playing with these clubs. They provided a lot of feedback as I knew where and how I struck the ball each swing. The real surprise was how forgiving they are, especially on the toe. That is my most common miss but when I hit it on the toe today, it seemed like I was getting better distance than I previously did and the ball didn't drift to the right quite as much. Overall, I am really pleased with the irons and look forward to getting them back out on the course later in the week.

Last edited:
Anyone know if there are any Maltby wedge reviews that compare with the likes of Vokey SM7, 8, etc.?

Anyone know if there are any Maltby wedge reviews that compare with the likes of Vokey SM7, 8, etc.?

There aren't tons of reviews on the Maltby wedges. Dave at Fit2You on Youtube has some videos and there threads on various topics on the web about them.

The new TSWs seem very highly thought of. The Tour MG grind have a much more aggressive design. The M+ series have different sole widths to provide options for players who need different amounts of help. I have 56 degree Glider design... same idea as the Smart Sole.

Generally the Glider has been good for me. You basically can't hit it fat unless you are hitting WAY behind the ball.

Dave

Shot my best score ever, 84, during my second round with the TE Forged irons today and I can't emphasize how great they feel on a pure hit. I feel like I am starting to really get them dialed in as I had time this past week to hit some balls in the backyard. Looking forward to getting them back out there later this week.

Maltby also has club building classes in Ohio. Not so much this year.
Maltby does not send their clubs for official USGA conformance tests. They do state the club conform to the standards.

Maltby also has club building classes in Ohio. Not so much this year.
Maltby does not send their clubs for official USGA conformance tests. They do state the club conform to the standards.
Yes they do submitt their clubs. They are usually not in a hurry to do so but they all get tested.

After buying and using 3 Maltby clubs, you can bet some of my next builds will be Maltby.

Half of my bag is Maltby right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anyone in this thread have any experience or thoughts on the M890 hybrid? I think the 28* should fill a gap in my bag nicely.

Does anyone in this thread have any experience or thoughts on the M890 hybrid? I think the 28* should fill a gap in my bag nicely.
I have a couple of their irons in the 890 series. They are meant for senior or very slow swing speed golfers. They are meant for senior or very slow swing speed golfers So the hybrid will have a very low center of gravity. It should be very easy to hit to say the least

I have a couple of their irons in the 890 series. They are meant for senior or very slow swing speed golfers. They are meant for senior or very slow swing speed golfers So the hybrid will have a very low center of gravity. It should be very easy to hit to say the least

Thanks for the input. I like easy to hit! I'm contemplating ordering it with a Tensei Blue stiff shaft. I might also just order the TE Forged 5 iron which should also fill the gap. I just like hitting hybrids.

I have a set of the Maltby TS2's with KBS Tour 105 stiff shafts, 4-GW. I had heard very good things about the TS2 and TS1 lineups and being the club ho that I am I bought the preassembled set for $399, TS2 still available for that price with the above shafts under their "deal" tab. Currently playing the 2020 Cobra Forged Tec Irons, 4-PW with $-Taper stiff shafts. Prior irons were the PXG 0211's. The Maltby's perform just as well if not even better than the PXG's and the Cobra's at a fraction of the cost.

You honestly can't beat them for the price, $399 for a hollow bodied forged iron is insane. Easily one of, if not the best values in equipment.

Back