Why did you start playing golf…???

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the story behind your golf start up? Is there a “someone” who encouraged you… or, did you have an unusual beginning..?

Because my girlfriend (now wife) always golfed with her family on the weekends. I went with them once and thought she looked really good in a tank top and skort and wanted to spend more time with her.

Grandpa was a member at a club we lived close to and I practically lived with my grandparents as a kid so I was always there with him. It progressed from there to me being there all day all summer long.

It was a thing a lot of people successful in my industry did. So I originally took it up to make sure I gave myself the opportunities to succeed at work. Oh how that morphed into a love for the game.

I was 41 and had no intentions of playing golf. This was in 1995… and I had an older brother who played. He was a bit older than me… and we lived 100 miles apart. We only saw each other “once in a blue moon.”
One day he calls me and asks if I play golf… which I did not. He said that he thought it could be a good way for us to start “getting together”… and that we could meet somewhere roughly halfway. I was intrigued by the offer… and that started the most glorious golfing experience for me. For the next ten or twelve years we would meet on a regular basis - and have the grandest of times! Thank you John, for making it all happen.

Grandfather, Dad and older brother always took me along as a little guy, when I was old enough to actually not play my plastic kiddie clubs I started playing real clubs. Nothing out of the ordinary for me.

I was mediocre at best at baseball, soccer, basketball ect. My Dad look me and we got lessons together when I was a kid. It’s something we enjoyed doing together. I stepped away from the game for a few years chasing my dreams of playing music professionally. He passed in 2007 and shortly after I started playing again. I wish he was still around cause I would whip his a$$ now. LOL. And he would both love it and hate it at the same time. 😁

Couple of reasons. My Step Mom had just passed away, and I was kind of moping around feeling poorly. My future son in laws asked if I wanted to go play golf,. Told them no thanks. My Wife pretty much kicked my 6 out the door to go with them. Told me to get on with life.

We went to a par 3 course in North Las Vegas. I liked it....A lot. I bought some old rusted clubs at a swap meet. Clubs, bag, and a trolley for $15.

About that time I was just getting my business off the ground. I found that playing golf was some good networking with potential clients. That's when I decided to get serious.

I checked around for swing instruction. After three failed attempts with charlatans, my fourth guy, and I clicked almost immediately. Stayed with him for 8+ years until he passed away.

Uncle hooked me up when he heard I was interested. Then wanted to be good enough at company outing and then .. I got hooked.

I used to go and stay with family in Ireland when I was much younger. My uncle played and would take me out, played a few times a year with him. Stopped for years when he stopped playing. Wifes family play and got me into it again here in Canada. I feel like I now play more than all of them put together, have really fallen in love with the game, even when I am playing absolutely terrible.

Played sporadically as a teenager and young adult. My cousin, who seemed to be just as fond of doing donuts in golf carts as he was about the game, got me into it. Took a 30 year break from golf and started playing again last year. I missed it. Glad to be back out there making holes in grass.

I love cricket , and golf has some, related skills . Also a very good golf club happened to be where I grew up .

Never played as a young fellow, didn’t have the money too . But walked and went caddy for older players , just to get knowledge and experience it a bit .

Played latter in life , late twenties I think at work events ….

Its hooked me more than , it ever has , thank goodness l am getting better lol .

Not sure how I started but became a member at 20ish had no car and no clubs 😇 got a ride to golf with a pub mate and a loan of left handed clubs and I'm right handed 😞 handicap was 35 and I remember playing interclub and was last man out as I was the worst player 😧 but I beat the guy and we won the tournament lol 😂 I got home 🏠 late drunk 😴

I started playing golf as a Junior in college (UF Gainesville) when an ankle injury forced me to take a break from soccer and all active sports. Not being able to play a sport was rough as anyone with a sports habit knows. My roommate gave me her dad's golf clubs which I took over to the driving range and before long I was hooked. I still have my Student Membership card saved as a memory. I don't think I would have made it without golf.

Last edited:
Had said for years that I would play golf when I got too old to do anything else. Knew it was expensive so waited until I was old enough for social security. Never an athlete so realized I would never be really good when I started but have been addicted for over 17 years. Since I’ve been on fixed income the whole time try to play cheap golf if possible.

I started when my dad got a membership at a club in my tiny hometown when I was 12. Went to a junior golf camp and started from there. Loved it ever since.

My oldest brother got me to try it in the mid 70s. It was love at the first round.

Co-Workers asked me did I play, No, can you get some Clubs and join us... Sure... and so it began.

My FIL used to play and was a scratch golfer at one stage. I started to have something in common with him. He's no longer able to play but I got bitten.

I’ve always enjoyed watching it on tv so I wanted to try it myself. After my first time hitting a 6i flush I was hooked.

I played JC basketball and college football. Needed something to do after college to stay competitive in sports.....and didn't want to play in adult flag or basketball leagues because everyone is insane in them

Though i did for a while, and in the flag league there was 3 brawls in 10 games, and i broke part of my hand in a basketball league getting tackled on game point because you "don't give up easy buckets on game point"

After that it was golf only

I wanted to be a golf course superintendent. Didn’t know there was such a thing. Company I worked for at the time was doing a project for Robert Trent Jones International. The construction manager was in our office on a daily basis and told be all about what they were building and said “that would be something you’d like to do instead of drawing this stuff”

Went to lunch with him and the superintendent one day, and that was that. Asked him “could you suggest a good way to get into the profession?”

He said, “you might want to learn how to play golf”

“Ok”

I’m still better at maintaining a course than playing one. 🤣

Married into a family that plays golf. They kept inviting me out, figured I may as well get less terrible at it so I picked it up. That's the short version, easy enough to say very difficult to do.

My brother took me out to play thinking could beat me at a sport I never played... He didn't.... And he never will.

Staring Star Wars GIF by Disney+

I was done with tennis 12 years ago and moved onto golf. I wish I started so much younger. I love the game

Back