I started in 1971, it was also the year I got my very own 12 gauge shot gun, lol. My parents told my step brother and I that they would buy us lessons if we were interested in playing and I was like why not? I played pretty solid until getting married in 1977 and then picked it back up in 1987 or 88. Work took over for a number of years from 2001 until last year when I re-ignited the love.

Started playing golf 4 1/2 years ago and it seems like I haven't stopped since then. I will admit to ayone that I am a certified golf addict.

Next April....

I learned in high school. Played very little in college. Really started to play with my father-in-law. Have been playing hot and cold since. Now my golf juices are starting to warm up again!

At age 41, which was 2 years ago. My Dad gave me his hand me down set after purchasing some new TM Burners and I hacked my way through a few rounds with my friends, not taking it very seriously.
Next time I visited my Dad we went and played with some of his friends and I was terrible with a capital "T". Was quite embarrassing shooting a 130 -140.
I promised myself the next time I visited Dad that I would not embarrass myself and that I would learn how to hit that damn white ball where I wanted it to go!!
Mission accomplished as I shot a somewhat respectable 98 an a very difficult course and his friends all remarked on how improved my game was. That was a year ago and I have managed to get my handicap down to 14 and am completely hooked!!!

I've mentioned this before, but my mother started in her mid to late 40's and turning 80 this month she still plays almost every day, weather dependant. She has had a bunch of hole in ones and just last week won a tournament, lol. I'm very proud of her if you can't tell. She still competes with the younger women, how I have no idea, and is always quickly picked for team play.

Putting that into perspective, she has over thirty years of golf behind her. I guess I still have a few years to enjoy this great game, haha.

When I was 15(37 yrs ago) I decided I wanted to try golf out.
So I spent all my gas pumping savings at Pay-n-Pak and bought a set of Spaulding Championship clubs.
I couldn't afford lessons and there was no internet back then, so I relied upon reading golf magazines.
I started playing 9 holes on wednesday nights and 18 holes on Sundays both with this real old car mechanic that I worked with at the gas station.
Good ole' Herm couldn't hit the side of a barn with a golf ball, but he loved the game so much, that it grew on me as well.
I played with Herm for 3 years religously till his hip gave out and he had to quit playing.
When I lost Herm as a playing partner, I kinda lost interest in the game for a few years.
I took it back up about the age of 24 and just kind of played at the game for a few years.
Then about the time I turned 35, something in me clicked and I became a golf addict.
I'm now 52 (53 on the 16th of this month) and I am proud to say that I am still a golf addict.
I haven't played golf with Herm in a long time as he passed away about 20 years ago.
I have to give him all the credit for introducing me to this crazy, wonderful, maddening, exciting, frustrating, fantastic game I love.
Thanks Herm....I really miss you buddy.

I think I started around the age of 7 or 8 in the back yard. We lived on about an acre at that point. My game really kicked up when I made the golf team in high school. I also worked at a golf course during high school. I think my game was at it's best at the point of my life. When I went off to college I didn't really have the money to put towards golf. I played here and there. I did kick it up my senior year a little bit, when I worked at a country club during the summer. After about 5 years out of college, I started playing more. This past year I have started putting some time in to my game, bought some new sticks (my last set was from high school days) and now I have joined THP. Joining THP has really added fuel to the fire!

I picked up golf when I moved to Oregon in 1993. All the male co-workers on my team played, all my new in-laws played, so it was a given I had to play. I never played any sports growing up - had bad asthma, so I have no coordination. Funny thing though - only one guy from my original team is still with the company, and he plays only once a year in the company scramble (with me). I still play with my in-laws on occasion.

I had played maybe a hand full of times in my 20's (10 times at the most and with RH'd clubs). Then at 50 needed something to replace hockey so I got a set of LH'd clubs and have played for the last six years, only twice last year but I made up for it this year.

This year, about 5 months ago now. I kept getting invited to business golf outings and charity events and figured it was time to learn for that reason if nothing else. Lucky me however in that this game is really fun and I've had a blast so far. Looking forward to many more years of fun and frustration.

I took it up about 8 years ago now... My family met up with my extended family for a summer vacation in the Okanagan Valley (BC, Canada). My brother's "uncle in law" had a membership at a nice course there and we got to play for free. Hit a few good shots, even birdied one hole and beat my brother by 1 shot. That proved to be the beginning of the journey and at least once a year my brother and I play a round or 2 to see who has family bragging rights. Played more golf this year than ever before and loving it as much as ever. Trying to get my wife hooked is the next step in my multi year plan.

I'd tried a round or two when I was younger but about 15 months ago took it up seriously.

I basically was taught to walk holding a golf club lol. I literally played my first full round when I was 5. Grandfather is retired PGA teaching professional with a few U.S open appearances, my dad and his brother both played collegiate golf, the other brother at one point was a scratch golfer. Heck grandma with a 6 time women's club champion. Golf was "the" family outing when I was growing up so I was simply raised with the game as just something you do.

I'd consider myself the worse golfer in the family as far as accomplishments go (7 handicap), my sister was number 2 on her Texas high school 5a golf team >.< Of course I decided to concentrate on other sports, mainly baseball which I managed to play 3 years of in college.

Nowadays golf is my only sport so maybe when I can figure out how to juggle job, house, wife, etc....maybe I can work on that scratch golfer idea lol....humm.........this may take awhile :(

Wish I had started as young as some of you! I started in 1987, at the age of 25. I've played on and off without ever getting too serious about it (handicap has been mid/high 20's for most of those years), just playing for fun with friends and competing in office tournaments with other guys from work. I can't say I've ever really had an extended layoff, but there have definitely been a few years that I've only played 4-5 rounds a year due to work/life getting in the way. I'm now 48, have a bit more spare time on my hands and am tired of sucking at golf, so it's time to step up and do something about it!

I started golfing last year around the beginning of March. I was always pressured to play by my dad several years prior (he's been playing for 9-10 yrs now), but had thought it was the most boring thing ever. Nearly 2 years later, I play/practice everyday, hate cold weather and wish the sun could shine for 14+ hours everyday.

I wish I picked this up 10 years ago when my dad started. I can't even imagine what difference that would've made.

I started playing about 5 years ago, and have never looked back. Been playing an average of 60 rounds per season, not including the rounds during the off-season. When not playing you can find me at the range just about every day. I Love this game.

About a month and a half ago...

Started playing in 2005 age 22. Worked at a Sport Chek and decided to take advantage of my discount to buy some cheap clubs. My then to be future wife started golfing at the same time with me (also worked at Sport Chek), so we hacked it out together for the first while.... We started buying memberships just two seasons ago.

I had a 5 iron and putter at 5, first junior set in 1st grade, got serious going into 6th grade, first men's set in 7th grade, now I am a little better than bogey golf and enjoying golf.

I started thx to my dad when I was 12 - I had a hole in one 3 months later :)

Stopped playing for about 15years just got back into it 2&1/2 years ago.

Start in 1996, when I worked for a guy who was obsessed. Played all that summer, then took a couple of years off for personal issues. Came back to it casually in 98, and started taking it a little more seriously in 2000, but have never been able to devote the time to it I wish I could, either because of funds, or, because of family growth.

1992. I was a sophomore in high school and decided that basketball was no longer something I wanted to pursue. I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

A friend in high school introduced me to golf. I was desperate for a new challenge and it was like a drug to me. I loved it. I became hooked instantly and I have been chasing it ever since. It wasn't as cool then as it became in the following years. Soon EVERYONE was playing. The guys that were making fun were now asking me for tips and pointers. The downside was that tee times became necessary more often and quick rounds became harder and harder to find. I still have my lettermans jacket and I qualified for state my junior and senior year just one year after picking up the game.

started playing when I was 21

I just started to play seriously this past summer and I have averaged one round a week. I have become so addicted that it pains me that I am not able to play more.

Back