Why do you like the golfers you like?

I am drawn to humble people, who are also nice. When somebody shows those qualities I am drawn to them, golfers on tv included.

I’ll be honest, if they are British, I’ll cheer for them (unless their name is Paul Casey).

#FiberLaunch

I’m going back a bit but always liked Stricker, Els and VJ Singh... collectively all seemed to grind away at their profession... all willing to quietly change what they did, how they approached, for a chance to win... and all seemed to be super down to earth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spieth: He makes the time to interact with the fans, especially the kids. He made my son’s day simply by acknowledging him and giving him a high five even though he was playing poorly. That right there is enough to make me a fan for life.

Phil: Seems like a nice guy with his thumbs ups and hat tips and smiles. Plus his creativity.

Tiger: Because Tiger.

Michelle Wie: because she’s from Hawaii. Even though she went to a rival high school she’s still a local girl.

Lexi Thompson: Saw her and made some small talk while waiting for clubs to be regripped. I don’t know if she knew I didn’t know who she was. lol

Danielle Kang: Solheim Cup. Smiled from start to finish and played pretty good too.

I think you definitely gotta have some love for Tiger, no one expected him to comeback as competitively as he did! I would say Rory McIlroy in terms of the mans swing, definitely one of the most eye-catching swings in the pro game today.

My mate who I play golf with says I address the ball like Danny Willett so ever since then I've always had a soft spot for him. (Got a feeling that one Masters win could be his only Major given the talent on show at the moment).

I like everybody except Patrick Reed, Iwas in on Tiger when I saw him in SI for kids after his 2nd Junior Amatuer in 1993. My junior year of high school 1997 I drew a pastel of him from his NCAA Championship that was on display at our school right before his Masters win. I am from a Small all white town and worked at the country club so of course I heard all the racist jeers about him from the rednecks there, but it was awesome as a 17 or 18 year old to throw their ignorance back in their face over the first 3 years of his career as he dominated the tour. Glad to see him back and smiling and also seemingly with more gratitude this time around. Hoping he can sneak another green jacket on before his body starts to fail him for good. He always has been and always will be special for me.

Anyone who isn't a dweeb, I'm a fan of.

I'm looking at you Bubber, Sabbaweenie, and Poulter.

Appreciation for the game and the fans, intelligence to think his/her way around a golf course, imagination to see and attempt shots mere mortals can’t see, the drive to go for it even when conventional wisdom says take you par (or bogey) and live to play another day, the attitude to close the deal, and the understanding that he/she may go down in flames going for that “W” but goes for it anyways.
Lots of golfers have many of those traits. They wouldn’t be pros if they didn’t.
But the two most prominent that come to mind and whom I’ve always rooted for and enjoyed watching are Lee Trevino and Phil Mickelson. (Ok, I’m old, lol).
I do enjoy watching the absurdly talented young guns. There’s so many. They’re so darn good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the professional level, I like guys who are fan friendly, "open" in their interviews, willing to express their opinions and who can be risk takers at times on the course, leading to exciting golf.

On the amateur level, I prefer playing with guys who recognize we are out there to play golf, are followers of good golf etiquette and save the majority of socializing over beers after the round.

Why not Casey?

My ex wife had dealings with him at the PGA at Wentworth when she was working there when her airline was one of the sponsors. He treated her and everyone else that was there to look after him like ****. Was a real arrogant tosser. I wasn’t too impressed when he excluded himself from the Ryder Cup either.

#FiberLaunch

Personality first (Easy going, honest, friendly, funny), Swing second (love easy swingers, i.e, Couples, Els, etc.) Aggressive shot making third.

Back