Why do you like the golfers you like?

I like guys who don't appear to be complete richards, whether on camera answering questions or walking by a group of kids holding out their hands. I also like guys who seem to be having fun out there.

What qualities do your favorite golfers have? What is it about them that makes you root for, defend and back them. And what would it take for you to stop backing them?

I watch the demeanor of players. I like the ones that whether they are winning or losing don't appear to let it upset them.

I watch the demeanor of players. I like the ones that whether they are winning or losing don't appear to let it upset them.

Do your a DJ and Bryson fan.

Why do you like these three?

Jason and Ricky appear to be cool and calm to me, and I like Henrick because he's awesome with that 3W

The guys I usually golf with are pleasant to be around, know the game well, have good etiquette, and are honest. There are more qualities than that, but you get the point. If any of them decided to start playing shady golf, aka cheating, then I wouldn't play with them anymore.

John Daly is one of my favorite player. Let it rip type of player. Made the game more fun to watch. Took away the impression that golf is for rich country club member only game.
I always root for Big John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not a big fan of anyone in particular these days, but tend to pull for the guys that seem more genuine and do not throw temper tantrums. The only two guys that I can say I have been a really big fan of in my many years of playing and watching are Ben Crenshaw and Fred Couples.

I like guys who look like they like playing golf for a living. Rickie, Freddie, Gary Player, can all be focused but appear to keep things in perspective. Some guys, even when they're winning, look like they just got out of a long appointment with the dentist.

Well, seeing as though I named my firstborn son after Tiger (middle name... not first... his middle name is Eldrick), I'd have to say he's my favorite player. I picked up the game in the summer of 1999 and I've watched Tiger all the way. Even after I started my hiatus from golf in 2007ish, I couldn't help but watch his dramatic playoff U.S. Open win in 2008 and that took some commitment since I was stuck on the other side of the world (Guam).

Love got watch Bubba play. Love the fact that he's self taught and successful. Love to watch JT. Not sure there's going to be a more successful player out of the young'ns on Tour now. Phil is amazing to watch for the short game clinic he so often puts on. Just amazing some of the stuff he pulls off.

If Tiger ain't playin' and Phil's in the mix, he's getting my cheers. I guess I have to pull for the old guys against the young guns.

Last edited:
I like the guys who seem to enjoy what they are doing and don't give the robot interviews. Couples, Kuchar, Rickie, Spieth and this current version of Tiger. I also love to watch Rory when he has it going bouncing from shot to shot.

I like the guys who seem to enjoy what they are doing and don't give the robot interviews. Couples, Kuchar, Rickie, Spieth and this current version of Tiger. I also love to watch Rory when he has it going bouncing from shot to shot.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ same as above. I also like when I see the guys taking their time to sign autographs. Phil Mickelson showed a good example of this after the last tournament in Austin he lost his match but still took the time to go sign autographs. Another thing I respected in liked about Phil's interview was how he recognized his bad attitude on the course, he said looking back on that he felt bad about that he almost seemed a little ashamed of having a bad attitude. One of the things I do not like is when a golfer lets his temper get the best of him. There were a couple of guys in this last match play tournament that really lost their cool and looked stupid.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I tend to like golfers that came from humble beginnings. Trevino, Daly, Palmer, etc. Kinda bucks the good ole boys club.

To add to my list from earlier, Brian Harman. For no other reason that he is a short-ish golfer. Like me. Only that he is taller than me .. :)

I like guys that look like they enjoy playing the game and take a brief moment between holes to high five a fan or at least acknowledge with a wave or simple thumbs up like Phil does.

This is the complete opposite, but for some reason this thread made me think about it. It made me think about Rory Sabatini and how he was hated by so many people, and his wife was too and she would get into wicked fights with people on social media, and then it was revealed that when he was signing golf balls for "fans", he was actually putting his phone number on there for women to call him. Then his wife turned the tables and started going nuts on him on social media. That was a crazy crap storm.

Sorry, I know this is not the question, but I had to share because it made me laugh remembering this.

I like guys who don't appear to be complete richards, whether on camera answering questions or walking by a group of kids holding out their hands. I also like guys who seem to be having fun out there.

This sums it up perfectly and I'll add guys that are classy when they lose as much as when they win. It's easy to be gracious when your winning.

I like guys who are honest, genuine and not afraid to go for it when the stakes are high.

To answer the question correctly, my preference for golfers comes from my meetings with them. I am fortunate that because of my job I have met many golfers over the years, and the ones who have shown kindness to me or those around me, are the ones I like and prefer to follow and cheer for.

To answer the question correctly, my preference for golfers comes from my meetings with them. I am fortunate that because of my job I have met many golfers over the years, and the ones who have shown kindness to me or those around me, are the ones I like and prefer to follow and cheer for.
Who are your favorites? It's good to hear about who the nice guys/gals are from firsthand personal experiences and not just social media.

Who are your favorites? It's good to hear about who the nice guys/gals are from firsthand personal experiences and not just social media.

Some of the guys that stick out for me are Sergio Garcia, Ricki Fowler, John Senden, Henrik Stenson, Billy Hurley III, Jonas Blixt, Gary Woodland, and I know there are more but I can't think of them off the top of my head. Oh, and not a player but Feherty is an awesome person! I had a long conversation with him about baking, while eating his wife's fresh made macroons, he insisted I try them. Such a great guy.

I have never personally met Phil Mickelson, but every single person I talk to in the industry who has worked with him says he's a great guy, and a true pleasure to work with.

I tend to root for guys who went to may alma mater, Georgia Tech. Other than that, I find myself pulling for Justin Thomas quite a bit, too. For no particular reason, other than I like watching good golf.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jordan Spieth: Short game and flying elbow
Rory: Driver and positive vibe
Tiger: Recovery shots and being Tiger
Lucas Glover: Doesn't wear a glove
Dufner: Wedge play
DeChambeau: Mid/Long iron play
Rickie Fowler: Just love watching him
Tommy Fleetwood: Hair
Cristie Kerr: Fiery attitude
Lexi Thompson: Divots
Inbee Park: Putting from anywhere