Why is the PGA Championship Still a Major?

Tradition. It has always been a major so it stays that way.

The PGA Tour and the PGA of America are two different organizations now. They split over money which is kind of ironic given the backlash to the various pushes for global tours with more money.
Tradition is probably the worst reason. The Players has as much tradition as the PGA did when it was first considered a major. And the PGA history also has a reprehensible tradition- blatant racism.

I have no idea, other than it probably replaced an out dated major?

It matters little to me since of the existing 4 majors, it's the one I don't pay much attention to.
It originally was a major because the tour players were all part of the PGA. With that not being the case for 50 years now, the reason it is still a major is perplexing.

Because there needs to be four majors because grand slams have four things. Golf is a monster of convention. The convention is that the PGA Championship is a major.

It's arbitrary and doesn't really matter. It's for marketing.
It would have made sense for the Players to replace it as a major at some point.

Tradition is probably the worst reason. The Players has as much tradition as the PGA did when it was first considered a major. And the PGA history also has a reprehensible tradition- blatant racism.

I think the PGA has a history of racism, but not a tradition. Tradition would imply it's ongoing. History is, well, history.

I'm still comfortable with it as a major. I think it was a bit better when they had better separation from a time perspective, but I still love the idea of having four majors.

While I accept the argument about the prestige of the Players, I'd rather see a fifth Major added than one replaced.
I agree that it is fine, but I would prefer to see the PGA do something to distinguish the event. My preference would be for the PGA to pick the top modern courses as a rotation to at least give it an identity, rather than half the courses be US Open retreads or courses that really are nothing special. (Exception being Bethpage- an outstanding classic course and should be an awesome Ryder Cup venue.)

I still don't understand why people don't appreciate it......

It's got the hardest field (typically) of all the other majors. PLays at really nice venues most years, and the trophy is awesome haha.

I feel like the only reason it gets such a drag down is because they had it in a bummer part of the season for so long. If it would have initially been in May like it is now and the major season finished with The British Open, I bet most would enjoy it more.

I guess its time we finally let the cat out of the bag. The rest of us got together and had a meeting on the topic. Its basically just still a major to cause you consternation.

Tradition?

Usually the strongest field for majors?

Usually the strongest field of the year or if not one of the strongest?

I think yeah it has the least amount of identity of the 4 majors right now. I can see why a lot of people think its basically a second US Open with usually less controversy.

I would not want to see it removed as a major and replaced by the Players. The players while not being a Major is effectively treated as if it is for when people talk about great players.

There are 4 Beatles, 4 Horsemen, and 4 Majors...

720C87BF-61EE-477E-9509-861AEF23D75D.gif

Tradition. It has always been a major so it stays that way.

The PGA Tour and the PGA of America are two different organizations now. They split over money which is kind of ironic given the backlash to the various pushes for global tours with more money.
That's not true at all. It was only considered a major after Arnold Palmer said there should be a Grand Slam and the tournaments he gave were The Masters, US Open, The Open, and the PGA. This was in 1960 and before that there was really just the US Open and the Open and then some big tournaments that included The Masters, the PGA, Western Open, and Canadian Open. Even before that the US Amateur and British Amateur were considered Majors. So basically we are where we are because Palmer recommended it and the golf media ran with it. Now the idea has momentum and momentum is hard to stop. Just look at how we all like The Players Championship better, yet at the same we all think the 5th major talk is silly. Why do we think so irrationally? Momentum.

https://progolfnow.com/2016/12/28/arnie-invented-grand-slam-much/

Tradition. Played on top quality golf courses

Tradition?

I think yeah it has the least amount of identity of the 4 majors right now. I can see why a lot of people think its basically a second US Open with usually less controversy.

I would not want to see it removed as a major and replaced by the Players. The players while not being a Major is effectively treated as if it is for when people talk about great players.

See, I don't see the players like every one does haha. Ya I get it's a big tournament. people love it, but I just don't think its that great. Maybe its the course? I don;t know.

It would have made sense for the Players to replace it as a major at some point.
A 46 year old tournament as the "championship" for 1 tour should be a major over The BMW PGA Championship? That's the European Tour's version of The Players and it's much older than The Players. Why not The DP World Tour Championship, Dubai? That's "the world" after all.

Of all of the alternatives to the PGA Championship being a major, The Players is probably the worst.

A 46 year old tournament as the "championship" for 1 tour should be a major over The BMW PGA Championship? That's the European Tour's version of The Players and it's much older than The Players. Why not The DP World Tour Championship, Dubai? That's "the world" after all.

Of all of the alternatives to the PGA Championship being a major, The Players is probably the worst.

Probably the players is usually highlighted due to the US centric golf media. Also I will not deny that the Players usually draws one of if not the strongest fields. But since I normally watch the PGA tour it does come to my mind before those Euro Tour events and whatever the Race to Dubai/Rolex series is now.

Why is the PGA Championship a major over the BMW PGA? The Players is the premier tournament for what is by far the largest and most watched golf tour in the world.

I still don't understand why people don't appreciate it......

It's got the hardest field (typically) of all the other majors. PLays at really nice venues most years, and the trophy is awesome haha.

I feel like the only reason it gets such a drag down is because they had it in a bummer part of the season for so long. If it would have initially been in May like it is now and the major season finished with The British Open, I bet most would enjoy it more.
It's field is comparable to other majors and WGC events. I don't care about the bottom 40 players in a field, they almost never make any difference.

Half the venues for the PGA don't compare to most of the courses for the other majors (or Sawgrass). It has gotten somewhat better recently, but Quail Hollow and Trump Bedminster and Harding Park just aren't the same as the venues for the other majors.

It's field is comparable to other majors and WGC events. I don't care about the bottom 40 players in a field, they almost never make any difference.

Half the venues for the PGA don't compare to most of the courses for the other majors (or Sawgrass). It has gotten somewhat better recently, but Quail Hollow and Trump Bedminster and Harding Park just aren't the same as the venues for the other majors.

Not completely accurate. The field at the Masters is 100% the weakest. There are really only 20ish people competing in that tournament.

Have you played Harding Park?? I don't know the others. But I have played Harding. It is beautiful...I would say it is a better course than Torrey..

Harding Park
Bethpage
Bellrieve
Qauil Hollow
Baltursol
Whistling Straights
Valhalla (ill give you this one)
Oak Hill
Kiawah OC
Atlanta Athletic Club (highlands)
Whistleling Straights
Hazeltine
Medinah

Pretty strong group there for the past 20 years save a few. Most better and more enjoyable to watch than Saw Grass

Have you played Harding Park?? I don't know the others. But I have played Harding. It is beautiful...I would say it is a better course than Torrey..

Id Agree with this completely

Tradition?

I think if it were replaced by the Players, the Players would have to change a bit, mostly by adding in other courses in addition to Sawgrass.

Not completely accurate. The field at the Masters is 100% the weakest. There are really only 20ish people competing in that tournament.

This right here. It's kinda shocking when you start doing analysis on the Masters how there truly is only a handful of people playing that are actually able to win it and some wonky stuff needs to happen to get those outliers an actual chance to win.

Just getting an invite is hard.

I think if it were replaced by the Players, the Players would have to change a bit, mostly by adding in other courses in addition to Sawgrass.

Then you kinda lose one things that makes the Players the Players and really the only thing that's then changed is who is organizing the tournament.

That's not true at all. It was only considered a major after Arnold Palmer said there should be a Grand Slam and the tournaments he gave were The Masters, US Open, The Open, and the PGA. This was in 1960 and before that there was really just the US Open and the Open and then some big tournaments that included The Masters, the PGA, Western Open, and Canadian Open. Even before that the US Amateur and British Amateur were considered Majors. So basically we are where we are because Palmer recommended it and the golf media ran with it. Now the idea has momentum and momentum is hard to stop. Just look at how we all like The Players Championship better, yet at the same we all think the 5th major talk is silly. Why do we think so irrationally? Momentum.

https://progolfnow.com/2016/12/28/arnie-invented-grand-slam-much/

The term Major wasn't created in 1960. Palmer helped popularize the term the Grand Slam to reference those four majors. But the term "major" was used well before then.

This right here. It's kinda shocking when you start doing analysis on the Masters how there truly is only a handful of people playing that are actually able to win it and some wonky stuff needs to happen to get those outliers an actual chance to win.

Just getting an invite is hard.

Then you kinda lose one things that makes the Players the Players and really the only thing that's then changed is who is organizing the tournament.

The Players is the players. No need to make it a major. I honestly hate the 5th major talk. It is not needed. The Players stands great all on its own. It does not need to be forced in to conformity.

The top 50 OWGR are invited, as I believe the winners of tournaments in the past year. So it's not just 20.

Back