Will Jon Rahm Win a Major in 2024

I say no. I think all the media and hype from jumping to LIV will take a while for him to get used to.

Nope

If I were a betting man I’d say yes, when choosing 3 possible winners this year in each Major he will definitely be 1 of the 3 I pick unless he’s unable to play in any for any reasons like injury or whatsoever, but saying all that I could see Rahm not winning in any of the Majors too. Not that I think it matters 1 bit at all but his schedule on Liv is shorter playing wise then normal heading into Majors and he’ll be used to 3 rounds and not the normal 4… but again I doubt a player of his skill level any of that will be a issue

Yep.

I would say no just based on odds. Vegas has him at +275 to win one, about 27% chance.

I hope he wins them all. 😜

I don't think he wins one this year. I think he has the game, but I believe all the other distractions will be too much for him.

I don't think he wins one this year. I think he has the game, but I believe all the other distractions will be too much for him.
When has he let distractions bother him though?

When has he let distractions bother him though?
Great argument and historically I would say your absolutely right. I just think with LIV it will be a big distraction for him year one. However, I also think I could be completely wrong and he could go and dominate at all the majors as he is that great of a player. My gut is telling me this is a year to pass on him.

Great argument and historically I would say your absolutely right. I just think with LIV it will be a big distraction for him year one. However, I also think I could be completely wrong and he could go and dominate at all the majors as he is that great of a player. My gut is telling me this is a year to pass on him.
But why would it be? If anything, he’s going to be happier.

To me media would be a distraction at the events, however I am probably discounting how much he is used to all the media and distracting questions around LIV.

He shouldn't have to stress about how to pay the light bill this month that's for sure. lol.

I would love for him to win the Open. That would be awesome. I am curious to see how his new schedule affects his play. He is traditionally a very hot starter in the year and then cools off in the second half. This is going to be a completely different cadence for him.

I don't think so. He was distracted as all get out coming down the stretch last year. I think that continues in 2023.

I don't think so. He was distracted as all get out coming down the stretch last year. I think that continues in 2023.
Was he?

He sure wasn't as good post Augusta as he had been the prior 24-30 months. That is the norm for every golfer post Tiger. They win a major and loosen up their focus for a year or so. Throw in the LIV stuff and I don't think his focus is there this year. Maybe he wins The Open because it's funky links golf and never plays to recent form, but I don't think he'll be in the form he was in at The Masters this year until second half of 2024 into 2025 at least. Just my opinion.

Just for your reference, pre-Augusta:

1704221513108.png

Post Augusta:
1704221573055.png

Nope. I feel he will have an off-Majors year while he gets acclimated to LIV. But bounce back with a Majors win in 2025.

He sure wasn't as good post Augusta as he had been the prior 24-30 months. That is the norm for every golfer post Tiger. They win a major and loosen up their focus for a year or so. Throw in the LIV stuff and I don't think his focus is there this year. Maybe he wins The Open because it's funky links golf and never plays to recent form, but I don't think he'll be in the form he was in at The Masters this year until second half of 2024 into 2025 at least. Just my opinion.

Just for your reference, pre-Augusta:

View attachment 9233785

Post Augusta:
View attachment 9233786
But my point is how do we know he was distracted? Golf is hard. Elite golf is harder.

To me media would be a distraction at the events, however I am probably discounting how much he is used to all the media and distracting questions around LIV.
I think Rahm handles the media probably better than anybody else. It wasn't always that way, but he's matured in the past few years and become very good at dealing with them and not getting all spun up over it. He knew what was coming when he made his choice, I'm sure he's prepared for it.

But my point is how do we know he was distracted? Golf is hard. Elite golf is harder.
Well obviously it's a theory and that's all we're ever going to know but it seems he had a lot on his mind. While I'm not Jon Rahm I am considering a job change and having interviews and trying to do my normal job is very distracting. I imagine trying to navigate a $300 million contract with a rival golf league and having rumors all over the news and knowing you're about to stab your fellow PGA Tour players in the back while also making yourself a liar because you also said you would never leave the PGA Tour, money was not your motivator, and LIV was not appealing to you is really distracting unless you're a total narcissist which it doesn't appear Jon Rahm is. It's a theory, but a pretty damn good one IMO. Like you said Elite golf is hard and winning majors is the most elite thing in golf. It doesn't take much to knock someone off that mountain and he has a lot going on that is not winning majors related which is why I say he doesn't win one in 2024. If you really think he will I'll gladly put a forum wager on it.

Well obviously it's a theory and that's all we're ever going to know but it seems he had a lot on his mind. While I'm not Jon Rahm I am considering a job change and having interviews and trying to do my normal job is very distracting. I imagine trying to navigate a $300 million contract with a rival golf league and having rumors all over the news and knowing you're about to stab your fellow PGA Tour players in the back while also making yourself a liar because you also said you would never leave the PGA Tour, money was not your motivator, and LIV was not appealing to you is really distracting unless you're a total narcissist which it doesn't appear Jon Rahm is. It's a theory, but a pretty damn good one IMO. Like you said Elite golf is hard and winning majors is the most elite thing in golf. It doesn't take much to knock someone off that mountain and he has a lot going on that is not winning majors related which is why I say he doesn't have a great 2024.
It’s a theory for sure.

But it could also be as simple as being hot, and then cooling off.

That’s the fun part about conversation like this, we can ask questions of why people feel the way they do, and then dive in more.

Fwiw, based on what I’ve heard about how pissed he was at himself for the end of the season, I personally dont think it was a distraction issue, it was just more of the ebbs and flows of golf. One thing is certain, motivation has never been an issue for him.

I freaking love golf talk.

I like the guy and will root for him to play well, but I don't think he will win a major. I can see him placing well at both but repeating or winning another major is extremely difficult.

If anything, I think he's going to approach this coming season with a little chip on his shoulder. I don't think he'll be lacking any motivation.

I don’t think he does, there will be a bit too much drama following him this year.

Well obviously it's a theory and that's all we're ever going to know but it seems he had a lot on his mind. While I'm not Jon Rahm I am considering a job change and having interviews and trying to do my normal job is very distracting. I imagine trying to navigate a $300 million contract with a rival golf league and having rumors all over the news and knowing you're about to stab your fellow PGA Tour players in the back while also making yourself a liar because you also said you would never leave the PGA Tour, money was not your motivator, and LIV was not appealing to you is really distracting unless you're a total narcissist which it doesn't appear Jon Rahm is. It's a theory, but a pretty damn good one IMO. Like you said Elite golf is hard and winning majors is the most elite thing in golf. It doesn't take much to knock someone off that mountain and he has a lot going on that is not winning majors related which is why I say he doesn't win one in 2024. If you really think he will I'll gladly put a forum wager on it.
Is Brooks just immune to this?
Seems like a bit of an odd theory only because we literally had the same conversations last year and the reasoning was distractions or not caring as much were given and the reverse happened.

Back