Will Lydia Ko Return to Greatness?

How many times on the LPGA tour have we seen the great golfer fail to return to their previous high leevel of play once they have fallen? Just seems like it is a tour of prolonged hot streaks and then just kind of being there.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really expected Ko to be different. It could be argued that she was the most dominant golfer in the world. Equipment switch. Multiple swing coach switches. Tons of caddie switches. And here we are.

I would still like to think a return is possible, but I am starting to wonder.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I really expected Ko to be different. It could be argued that she was the most dominant golfer in the world. Equipment switch. Multiple swing coach switches. Tons of caddie switches. And here we are.

I would still like to think a return is possible, but I am starting to wonder.

I think it started when she refused Wardy's hug.

Minus the equipment part, I feel like Michelle Wie's camp had her doing somewhat similar things, although maybe not to this extent.

From looking just at the stats @JB has posted, she's toast. That's my completely and wholly unqualified opinion.:ROFLMAO:

Is the LPGA the same as the PGA tour where players have to place or win to keep their tour cards current?

I think it started when she refused Wardy's hug.

Minus the equipment part, I feel like Michelle Wie's camp had her doing somewhat similar things, although maybe not to this extent.
Leadbetter is/was Michelle Wie's coach too.

Hmmmm...

It is a sad story where two of golf's ptotegies opted to join a golf stable that taught a method that Tiger made obsolete. Both Lydia and Michelle owned those same swing elements that Tiger 2000 displayed under Butch.
The Leadbetter team believe in their teaching methods, but....why set out to change the swing of the number one player in the world? Unfortunately for all parties the experiment ended in tears. Lydia will need to do a "Hogan" to get back to her pre Lead..poisoning game, something which nobody else has managed to do. Her body's myofacia is completely different now to what it was when she was dominating. I don't like her odds.

I don't follow the LPGA game that closely. If she is in a funk I'll give the same answer I gave for Spieth. I tend to think great athletes don't stay lost forever so I expect both will get it back. OTOH if she's playing well and others have passed her then that's a different story.

I read her open letter to her 15 year old self today and thought it was really well done.

She is in the lead

she was hitting balls in my club guys place last time i was there. seemed to be fighting her swing a little bit when she made a good move it looked great.

It’s so hard to say. Last week she looked great and than disappeared. Gotta see how she does with the weekend pin placements.

Oh my she was up 5 on the back 9 and choked it away

Oh my she was up 5 on the back 9 and choked it away
Not that there is ever a good time to double bogey 18 but I know for sure that today ain't it.

OMG. Awful. She is SO fit. Shows you how mental golf is. Or maybe PXG equipment is just not up to it.

OMG. Awful. She is SO fit. Shows you how mental golf is. Or maybe PXG equipment is just not up to it.
PXG had nothing to do with her losing it . She overthought her 3rd shot and then hit wrong shot for her 4th shot. Her swing looks as good or better than whe she dominated but mental game just not there yet. Today's loss will sting. Hopefully she can overcome quickly.

Lame to blame the equipment. What specifically are you referring to?

Pretty sure she used the same clubs the same clubs to get a 4 shot lead. Maybe she saw this thread last night ;)

It was just a joke. I’m sure the lack of PXG wins on tour have nothing to do with equipment but rather just the quality of all their tour pros’ play.

I like some of the clubs, and have been very complimentary, but what big wins do ANY of their staffers have? For real.

I like some of the clubs, and have been very complimentary, but what big wins do ANY of their staffers have? For real.
No disagreement there. Their stable is weak IMO.

No disagreement there. Their stable is weak IMO.
At the time of signing, many weren’t considered so though. Also gotta wonder why it is weak with the money Bob has. I think the gear is solid, but, the facts are facts for them right now.

At the time of signing, many weren’t considered so though. Also gotta wonder why it is weak with the money Bob has. I think the gear is solid, but, the facts are facts for them right now.
The PXG stable has always been weak. Other than LKO what top player have they signed? Maybe ZJ (?) but every other player was at tail end of career or journey person

The PXG stable has always been weak. Other than LKO what top player have they signed? Maybe ZJ (?) but every other player was at tail end of career or journey person
I don’t agree with that, but I think the bigger and more accurate angle if that’s how it’s being looked at is WHY can’t they attract bigger names then?

I've played their hybrids since 2016 - Gen 1 - with the right shaft, I've found nothing better.

I don’t agree with that, but I think the bigger and more accurate angle if that’s how it’s being looked at is WHY can’t they attract bigger names then?

Lots went down when they canned Matt Rollins, their Tour Rep. Billy Ho and Reavie just signed and while they’re not huge names, it’s odd to have such a quick exodus.

They have ZJ, but otherwise, that’s it. Maybe they just don’t want to pay BIG pros. It didn’t work with Nike hard goods.

Let’s not forget that Lydia Ko was HUGE in the women’s game when she was signed and has done nothing since. Maybe it’s not a truly valid argument, but there are facts there.

My only guess would be outside of Lydia they haven't tried to sign a top ranked player.

Back