Review Wilson Launch Pad FY Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Good review Gary

Looking forward to finding the Fy in the wild to test. Recently I found a used Fybrid RS in
My local shop and hit it quite well.
For someone who plays an all Hybrid and no fairway wood setup this club is intriguing.

I am concerned about the added draw bias built into this. Usually if a face is closed I struggle as I already draw the ball as is.

Last edited:
Good Review Gary - Be interested in trying this club this spring.
Reads like something that would fit me.

It's the same answer I gave to the thread about game improvement wedges. I want to work out of my mistakes in practice and not reply on a club to do the helping for me. I might check out the FY but the driver doesnt do it for me.

Realized after I posted that I meant for this to be in the LP Driver thread.(Things move fast at THP) I agree with the review that the FY design could be expanded upon in future lines. Perhaps more loft options.

Last edited:
It's the same answer I gave to the thread about game improvement wedges. I want to work out of my mistakes in practice and not reply on a club to do the helping for me. I might check out the FY but the driver doesnt do it for me.
In my very humble opinion, the FY Is the better club by a mile and is super versatile. I bet plenty of people would love it if fit into it.

Really interested in the LP Fybrid. Im tossing up between one of these and a Rogue Heavenwood. Can I get some feedback on comparisson and recommendations? I am a mid/high handicapper with mid range swing speed. Current set up is Rogue Driver and X2Hot 5 wood. Irons are Wilson D7 with KBS Tour 80 Stiff shaft. Just looking for that last spot.

The guys at my local range seem to think the LP series is more of a "senior" line, and they are kind of deterring me away from there (i am 35 yrs old)

Hope someone can help! thanks.

I’m just hoping to hit one. Can’t find a FY anywhere. ?

Yes thats the thing - not many stores in my area (Australia) have many in store to demo. I can demo the Heavenwood but not the Fybrid.

The thing is I can get a Fybrid online for $150 AUD at the moment which is about 40% off listed price. Heavenwood I can get $230 AUD brand new.

Interesting. Seems to be at a good price point. Thanks for the info Gary.

Nice review Gary!

I had the original Wilson Staff Fybrid back in the day & really liked it. Glad to see they brought it back in an updated version!

In my very humble opinion, the FY Is the better club by a mile and is super versatile. I bet plenty of people would love it if fit into it.

Have you gamed a Callaway Heavenwood? How similar is this Fy? Seems to fill a similar niche.

Have you gamed a Callaway Heavenwood? How similar is this Fy? Seems to fill a similar niche.
I did game a V series heavenwood a while back. Similar but not the same - loft is a hair stronger and shaft is a bit shorter on the LP. The LP is lighter too based on my memory. But both are high confidence long iron replacements (and blended hybrid and fairway styles)

Considering I don't hit hybrids as well as I do my 5W, I will be checking this club out at some point this year. I'd be just fine having some WS back in my bag!

Last edited:
Good review. The driver is not for me but would love to try out the FY. I wish the local shops carried Wilson clubs.

while the driver is probably perfect for me, i'm "set" in that club....the FY is something i'd really like to put in the bag...wish they had it in stiff flex for LH

Got a FY coming this week. It’s one of the clubs that came out this year that is a bit unique and intriguing.

I currently Game a 3/4/5 hybrid setup and no fairway wood so this would be replacing my 3h if it works out. More to come once I get it.

Love that this club is getting some discussion. Really interested to try one out!

Love that this club is getting some discussion. Really interested to try one out!
I’d have never really considered it as a few years ago I tried my buddy’s older FY version. It was a short and spinny for me. But now my swing is much different and I could use launch and spin.
I hit the older RS version a few weeks ago in the store and it worked pretty well. So hoping the new model works out.
My worry is a closed face. I don’t mind if the head sits a little behind the hosel (Offset) but if it sets up really shut it will likely be deal breaker for me.

I’d have never really considered it as a few years ago I tried my buddy’s older FY version. It was a short and spinny for me. But now my swing is much different and I could use launch and spin.
I hit the older RS version a few weeks ago in the store and it worked pretty well. So hoping the new model works out.
My worry is a closed face. I don’t mind if the head sits a little behind the hosel (Offset) but if it sets up really shut it will likely be deal breaker for me.
There is still plenty of spin but it isn’t a negative here. And the closed face shouldn’t be a deal breaker - it isn’t all that bad

There is still plenty of spin but it isn’t a negative here. And the closed face shouldn’t be a deal breaker - it isn’t all that bad

Thats good to know. Thanks for providing the info. I’m excited to try it out.

I'm intersted. Seems like it takes some redundancy out of the bag. If I an hit it.

I'm intersted. Seems like it takes some redundancy out of the bag. If I an hit it.

that’s where I’m at.
Being a slower swinger my 20* and 23* hybrids carry the same but the 20* rolls out a bit more. I get squeeze a little more out of my 17* hybrid but it’s a chore to hit at 41”.
Hoping this can replace my 3h permanently and get me 10-15 yds more carry over my 4h.
With ease of use too. That is key in this slot and why I don’t Game a fairway wood any more.
just too many burned strokes.

Got this in today. Results on the first trip out were a little mixed. More thoughts later. 5CA65082-715E-4118-B94D-51B9EC46B336.jpegB4C0C551-BDD7-4339-B86A-9B10DB36FCD8.jpeg022820B6-0F62-4228-BFF2-4E6C3EB6ACDC.jpegEEBEF361-3E1E-4125-BF72-608B10F9AD20.jpeg6183ACF9-A3B0-4856-8B6A-EC0E0D37D537.jpeg4A1B6C37-4CC8-49D3-BB9E-66BCAF5A608D.jpeg2C06DF47-1B3D-45ED-B4B8-9E203182BC01.jpeg85B53153-B4DF-4A89-8098-AA466A672633.jpeg

I'm interested to give the FY a test, I like the idea from a perspective of never being confident with a FW or hybrid, hoping the FY can bridge the gap a bit for me.

Yep, this thing was as easy as advertised to hit!

First swing out of the gate, off a tee, really good height just a bit left, but great distance. Second swing, off the deck, was exactly what I needed on a long approach on a par 4 and gave me a look at birdie. I do not get along with many fairway woods or hybrids and this thing fills that gap between them perfectly for my bag. And the Helium shaft was way better than I remember it, I was pleasantly surprised and can't wait to see what it can do for me at the top of my bag in 2020.

Back