Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I have usually had no problems hitting it high (courtesy of a weak slice lol) but that’s starting to go away. Still I imagine the blue would probably be a better fit.

I have hit the red and blue on my monitor it’s not as big a difference has a lot people seem to make out of shaft profiles.
I will get more swings with the red and blue and post them in here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think they can turn rebar black into a regular flex haha

Just trying to align with the internet crowd and say I play the black!

Just trying to align with the internet crowd and say I play the black!

Love it lol

I started with blue stiff and hit it well, so I didn’t see the need to try anything else. The Ho in me is now tempted to try a black stiff, just to try it.
As for the Cortex head, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

Saw the cortex for the first time in person today! I was a little underwhelmed honestly. I don't know exactly why? Just didn't wow me. Especially, since I saw the new Mizuno drivers today as well.

Saw the cortex for the first time in person today! I was a little underwhelmed honestly. I don't know exactly why? Just didn't wow me. Especially, since I saw the new Mizuno drivers today as well.

Well the mizuno is pretty beautiful haha.

On another note, I do enjoy hitting my Cortex. Thing just keeps up with others

I played with my Cortex and a UST ProForce XX shaft today, this thing is a fairway finding beast... It’s great to be the longest in your foursome, and hit almost every fairway all day. What more can you ask for? Underrated driver of the year IMO.

I understand what you are saying, simplicity of the top is what makes it so beautiful to me

I played with my Cortex and a UST ProForce XX shaft today, this thing is a fairway finding beast... It’s great to be the longest in your foursome, and hit almost every fairway all day. What more can you ask for? Underrated driver of the year IMO.

Where did you play? If it was OH I’m impressed! That’s dedication right there lol!

Ok, I'm calling it. Our drought is over...

I definitely have more of an appreciation for what THPers go through when they have to deal with winter.
Hopefully the forecast is correct and there are only showers for the next couple of days. If so, the courses should dry out enough that I can get out on Sunday. Otherwise I will have to settle for a range session.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Where did you play? If it was OH I’m impressed! That’s dedication right there lol!

Ha, I’m die hard, but that would be crazy.. I’m in Naples for the week and got a few rounds in. Love the Cortex! Long straight straight and so underrated.

Ha, I’m die hard, but that would be crazy.. I’m in Naples for the week and got a few rounds in. Love the Cortex! Long straight straight and so underrated.

Hopefully we can get in a round this year - I'd love to see it in action!

Well, it has been almost 4 months since I started using the Cortex. I have tried various shafts from regular to extra stiff. Moved weights around and changed loft settings many times. I was at a loss because I couldn't get the distant and despersion of my existing driver.

So, I went to the driving range yesterday with three shafts (Atmos Blue Xstiff, Proforce V2 Stiff, Aldila 2KXV Regular) and wrench to try to work it out. After an almost 2 hour session I was totally disappointed and exhausted. Same results, different day. Outside of going to get fit for this driver, I think I am done. I do believe this driver was not meant for me.

Well, it has been almost 4 months since I started using the Cortex. I have tried various shafts from regular to extra stiff. Moved weights around and changed loft settings many times. I was at a loss because I couldn't get the distant and despersion of my existing driver.

So, I went to the driving range yesterday with three shafts (Atmos Blue Xstiff, Proforce V2 Stiff, Aldila 2KXV Regular) and wrench to try to work it out. After an almost 2 hour session I was totally disappointed and exhausted. Same results, different day. Outside of going to get fit for this driver, I think I am done. I do believe this driver was not meant for me.

Nothing wrong with that F8! I have the Cortex and have only hit it inside but it’s not as consistent as my Epic SZ. The Atomos Blue isn’t a good fit for my swing so I got a Rogue I/O 70 for it to match my gamer shaft in my Epic. The Epic still performs better so the Cortex will likely get sold to a buddy this spring.

It was near 50* this weekend. No courses were open though. Ground is Just too saturated. I did go over to Raintree Saturday afternoon and snuck on #15 and hit about 20 drives to test some drivers.

I really like the brand but it seems like they lose momentum once everyone else intros their drivers. Maybe the timing for DVD is wrong or it’s a stand alone short life cycle item or it’s that everyone likes the new shiny thing instead of the four month old shiny thing. Clearly their own efforts are focused on D7. There is inventory so the smart money just waits and buys it cheaper.

I do need to get on the gc quad at my local shop to see, but this driver certainly does hold its own. I know I have it for sale here but it’s not due to it being bad for me. More because I like new things an want to try out the new cobra and callaway options haha.

I guess I will have to try out the other two just to see where it’s at. Haha.

Sorry to hear J-Pin. I’m glad I’m on the other side of the spectrum.

Played a quick 18 at an executive course near my parents this weekend. Only had the chance to bust out the Cortex on a few holes. First hole was definitely a breakfast ball lol. After that the Cortex was feeling money. I found all fairways and was just enjoying the feel & sound. Even my usual toe misses found the fairway and played to a slight draw. My good shots were just dead straight or a fade which was awesome to see. I’m still dead set on changing out the shaft. If you have problems with getting the ball in the air the Atmos Red is definitely the gamer. I’m now looking for the Atmost Blue. Going to see if I have time this week to stop at the PGA SS and if I can switch it out or buy one. Would hate to lose the awesome logo’ed shaft but I know Blue would net me more yards compared to the higher flight. It’s definitely replaced my previous gamer (Cobra Fly-Z+) so I’m stoked about having it in my bag permanently.

After my last range session Im starting to stay somewhat around the center. I quite like that.

b603805239e43fab686f1f3c5d576595.jpg

Interesting range session tonight after numerous beers at the club. I got home jonesing for some golf after looking at a closed course for hours, and decided to break out the Cortex.
Apparently when swapping out the Atmos for the ProForce, I accidentally set the loft at +1 instead of -1. I didn’t notice this until after a few great but high shots (for me). They weren’t as long as normal but damn were they straight!
7ffdfb9057c97ed0135659fb41da9c13.jpg

I noticed the launch angle looked abnormally high after about 10 shots. So pulled up this screen which confirmed. And then finally looked down and notice the incorrect setting.
a373ae129502c7484b0a8d975a181e6f.jpg

I probably lost around 5 - 10 yards, but with the accuracy I’m not sure if I will go back.
f1b06e9200ae768c95e7649e21f943f0.jpg

Overall I’m still loving the Cortex & will continue to tweak loft settings & weights to try and improve results. This driver continues to impress the hell out of me and I can’t wait for the courses to open around here.

I was finally able to get in a quick practice 9 early Sunday morning. The course had a 4 ball tournament scheduled later in the day which made for some interesting pin positions as well as longer than usual rough.

I'm still struggling with an all to frequent OTT swing. I will say that even with some pretty lousy swings, I didn't have any balls off the fairway over a club length into the rough. Hats off to the designer and W/S R&D for developing the Cortex into a great looking and forgiving driver.

I have a league tournament this Saturday (weather permitting) so I will (hopefully) be able to provide helpful feedback then.

Wilson demo day today, finally a chance to hit the D7 irons and woods. While I liked the irons very much and the 5W, the D7 driver wasn't for me. The wilson rep asked me to try the Cortex. 5 straight arrows in a row, unfortunately no Trackman numbers but it was a great fit in Regular. The sound seemed a bit off though, in my opinion.

I switched to a G400 few months ago and I am happy with that, but the Cortex felt awesome and easy.

Wilson demo day today, finally a chance to hit the D7 irons and woods. While I liked the irons very much and the 5W, the D7 driver wasn't for me. The wilson rep asked me to try the Cortex. 5 straight arrows in a row, unfortunately no Trackman numbers but it was a great fit in Regular. The sound seemed a bit off though, in my opinion.

I switched to a G400 few months ago and I am happy with that, but the Cortex felt awesome and easy.

The accuracy of the cortex is really good. The sound could have sounded off to you because it is a total different sound from the ping

Finally have some time to post a few thoughts from last Saturday's tournament. We had a series of downpours Friday night into the early morning hours on Saturday. For the most part, the course drained well considering the amount of rain. Unfortunately, two of the holes on the front (#7, #8) we're flooded. Surprisingly, the greens were firm and fast.

My best drive, 241 yards, was off #1. Almost looked like I knew what I was doing. Unfortunately, my OTT swing reared its ugly head a few times to remind me that I still have a lot of work to do.

The rest of my foursome kept complaining about how tight the course was. I only played tree plinko twice. The first time was due to being OTT. The second was from trying to cut the corner on a gentle left handed curved fairway. The curve started about 50 yards from the tee, my shot was straight but it clipped a branch and into the trees it went.

Other than a few OTT swings, my tee shots were straight and were in the 220-230 range (minimal roll) which is actually pretty darn good for me.

Cortex settings: 10.5°, sliding weight 3/4 to the rear.

If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I haven't had the Cortex out recently. I guess too bummed it isn't working out for me. I reached out to Corey at Wilson to see if he had any input into my problem. He sent Jon Pergande in R&D an email asking for some input. Based on Jon's input I have installed a UST Mamiya VTS Silver Regular flex shaft and made the loft stronger to open the face. It will be a while before I get it out again because it is raining in NorCal again.:banghead:

Back