Wilson Staff D200 Driver Review Thread

Forgiving

Forgiving

Another round today with the D200. Not swinging well today....just one of those days. But the D200 truly amazes me with how many bad swings I had today yet it still finds the fairway.
I missed a few on the toe badly and yet the ball still ended up in the fairway. 12 out of 14 fairways. Wow. And when you catch it flush....it is LONG, really LONG!
I'm loving the 3 wood just as much. Terrific clubs!

Are there any low handicappers(single digit) hitting this driver and happy with it?

Are there any low handicappers(single digit) hitting this driver and happy with it?

Yep.
I don't use it every round but the last round I used it (scramble a week ago) I was 10/12 FIR. The two missed were a left fairway bunker 270 into a stiff wind that my partner said I could never hit, and a 315 yd drive in the left rough on the "longest drive" hole, downwind.
This, for me, is the longest driver I have ever hit. I don't use it all that often because my miss w it is a block right, which gets me into a lot of trouble at my home course.

Keep us posted

Keep us posted

Yep.
I don't use it every round but the last round I used it (scramble a week ago) I was 10/12 FIR. The two missed were a left fairway bunker 270 into a stiff wind that my partner said I could never hit, and a 315 yd drive in the left rough on the "longest drive" hole, downwind.
This, for me, is the longest driver I have ever hit. I don't use it all that often because my miss w it is a block right, which gets me into a lot of trouble at my home course.

Spivey,
You have a lower handicap than many of us and still hit the D200 at times. I'm a high-capper and really like the D200. I used to bag the SLDR and found it was too unforgiving like many others. Switched to the D200 and have not looked back. That's why I would like to see additional comments (good and bad) from you and others on this forum just to keep these comments reasonably current. Your comment above about it being the longest driver you've hit is very intriguing. I've hit some really long drives with it as well but as a senior a long drive for me is 210-220 yards.
I'm curious what others from all handicap ranges are finding with the D200. I hate to see this thread get too stale. Is it because many have given up on the D200 or is it that they just haven't sent a recent post?
Thanks all.

I am looking to get a new driver and have hit the D200 with the Draw settings and it helped my slice but I keep having issues when it comes to pulling the trigger to buying it.

I don't want to have buyers remorse and wish I bought something else, so I will ask has anyone had buyers remorse after getting the D200?

I am looking to get a new driver and have hit the D200 with the Draw settings and it helped my slice but I keep having issues when it comes to pulling the trigger to buying it.

I don't want to have buyers remorse and wish I bought something else, so I will ask has anyone had buyers remorse after getting the D200?
I hit it good during a demo, but never really got along with it after I bought it. it was too light for me, even though I don't have a fast swing speed only about 92 MPH.

The D200 line will be going away later this summer and will be replaced by a newer GI line (no details on what yet) so just putting that out there since you mention possible buyers remorse down the road. On the plus side the price will probably drop a bit then as well.

D200 is a DAMN good driver. I have seen 110+ swing speeds play it fantastically just as I have lower swing speeds. Great sound, solid forgiveness, and a great all around performer.

I hit it good during a demo, but never really got along with it after I bought it. it was too light for me, even though I don't have a fast swing speed only about 92 MPH.

The D200 line will be going away later this summer and will be replaced by a newer GI line (no details on what yet) so just putting that out there since you mention possible buyers remorse down the road. On the plus side the price will probably drop a bit then as well.

Thank you.

I think its the weight that is in my mind that is keeping me from buying it. I am a bigger guy way over weight right now and I know half my issue with my swing is I swing like I am playing hockey and does not help.

I

D200 is a DAMN good driver. I have seen 110+ swing speeds play it fantastically just as I have lower swing speeds. Great sound, solid forgiveness, and a great all around performer.
Not trying to be argumentative, but you had a crap ton of lead tape on it didn't you?

Now I realize you are one of those high swing speed players you mention, and probably needed it. But I will never pretend to be someone that overpowers a driver, but it was definitely to "light feeling" for me and I didn't get any more swing speed from it than I did from any other drivers that were 30 to 40 grams higher in weight.

Not trying to be argumentative, but you had a crap ton of lead tape on it didn't you. Now I reailze you are one of those high swing speed players you mention, and probably needed it. But I will never pretend to be someone that overpowers a driver, but it was definitely to "light feeling" for me and I didn't get any more swing speed from it than I did from any other drivers that were 30 to 40 grams higher in weight.

I had 8 ounces on it. Not a crap ton, at all.

8 ounces. Simply enough to get the swing weight back to D3.

And I'll add, if anyone doubts this head, go back and read the first Wilson Staff event with THP.

As all golfers are looking for the "holy grail" of drivers, tinkering with clubs is inevitable. Newer, shinier, sexier clubs are always available.
The key to any club is, really, finding one that works for you.
I still play my D200 but it is one of a number of drivers I play. Last time out the results weren't great, but that is no reflection on the driver.
I will have this club back in play the next time I play an "away" round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still kinda want one of these to screw around with. I hit moon balls with ArmyGolf's 12 or 13* head, but I really liked the sound and fell, and even with the high flight it still went pretty damn far.

I had 8 ounces on it. Not a crap ton, at all.

8 ounces. Simply enough to get the swing weight back to D3.
Ok...I just know it was several pieces that I ended up taking off, when I got it from you, three if I recall correctly.
And I'll add, if anyone doubts this head, go back and read the first Wilson Staff event with THP.

And I certainly didn't bash the head or anything, was just giving my personal experience here that was kind of similar to the question posed by Slayers. I have no doubt the D200 is a good head, just as the Nike Fly, Titleist 915D series, the Callaway XR, TM M1 and many others are.

One thing to keep in mind about the Wilson event, those guys were all fit by Wilson staff members at the HQ, there are not that many options for everybody to try. Matter of fact we had a Wilson Demo Day at my course today. And there was a grand total of two shafts for the D200 one stiff and one regular in the stock offering.

So many good options out there, not every club is going to fit everyone, but of course I don't have to tell you that, you know that as well as anybody. Somebody said something earlier today about putters being very personal, and drivers are as well.

So confusing. I simply commented on my thoughts of the head, never said yours were wrong or anything of that nature. But it's whatever.

Its a great head that's a lot of fun, something that W/S has a knack for producing lately. It'll continue to surprise people, even as the new line/lines release.

So confusing. I simply commented on my thoughts of the head, never said yours were wrong or anything of that nature. But it's whatever.

Its a great head that's a lot of fun, something that W/S has a knack for producing lately. It'll continue to surprise people, even as the new line/lines release.
I just took your All Caps of DAMN good driver right below my post as saying I was wrong for saying it didn't work for me. Then the comment about anyone doubting the head. if I was wrong for taking that personal, then it's my bad. Just seemed like it was directed at my comments.

Like I said, i had a good feel for it during an indoor demo that had no LM numbers to back anything up, but then after several rounds with it on the course, I just felt like I couldn't control it, and goodness knows my swing isn't so fast that something shouldn't be able to be controlled...LOL

I'll play devils advocate, because if it was a "Callaway D200" would it be the same feeling? I hate to bring this up but no matter how many good reviews you see, I feel people see Wilson and think "eh I dunno". Which is wrong. I love my D200.

I still game the D200 I got at the Legacy. In fact, it's kept its place in the bag over the Ping G I won recently. It's long enough & more accurate than any driver I've ever owned.

I absolutely love my D200 driver. Go for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just took your All Caps of DAMN good driver right below my post as saying I was wrong for saying it didn't work for me. Then the comment about anyone doubting the head. if I was wrong for taking that personal, then it's my bad. Just seemed like it was directed at my comments.

Like I said, i had a good feel for it during an indoor demo that had no LM numbers to back anything up, but then after several rounds with it on the course, I just felt like I couldn't control it, and goodness knows my swing isn't so fast that something shouldn't be able to be controlled...LOL
I'll leave it here, but Id think you know me well enough to know I'd have quoted you if I was directly talking about any of the things in your post and your personal experience.

I still game the D200 I got at the Legacy. In fact, it's kept its place in the bag over the Ping G I won recently. It's long enough & more accurate than any driver I've ever owned.
I think it says a TON you're still rocking this one. I know you like your golf clubs, especially the drivers.

I'll play devils advocate, because if it was a "Callaway D200" would it be the same feeling? I hate to bring this up but no matter how many good reviews you see, I feel people see Wilson and think "eh I dunno". Which is wrong. I love my D200.

Certainly not me. I have been one of Wilson's biggest fans the past two years. Many that are familiar with me know that.

I'll leave it here, but Id think you know me well enough to know I'd have quoted you if I was directly talking about any of the things in your post and your personal experience.
Valid point buddy, no hard feelings at all. I still say it's a very good driver, no dispute on that at on that fact, just didn't work for me in this occasion

The (admittedly few) times I swung it on a monitor I found it to be a bit light, but we're talking 10 swings tops with a used driver. It felt like the V Series driver I had also tried, and lost the feel of on the downswing and was spraying everywhere. That being said, I've been a huge W/S fan for some time now, and would certainly give this driver another shot if the chance came up. As a slower swinger it should be right up my alley with it's weight and performance. Every W/S club I've owned has been built solidly and more importantly, performed.

I think it says a TON you're still rocking this one. I know you like your golf clubs, especially the drivers.
It certainly does. I had my best consecutive driving rounds since the Legacy this past weekend at a member guest tournament.

With that said, it will soon face the stiffest challenge yet to stay in the bag. I've been infatuated with the M1 ever since I hit Cace's up at Posey's course last fall. I'm going to use the credit from the pro shop & cash from the calcutta we got from the tournament to order the M1 after I get fit for it.

Back